Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 Router Access Control Enabled Causes Phone Blocked from Wifi

Blueice9
Tutor

R7800 Router Access Control Enabled Causes Phone Blocked from Wifi

Enabling Access Control actually disabling my Samsung phone from accessing the Wifi. I am forced to turn Access Control off right now in order to use the house Wifi. This was NOT a problem before. Just upgraded to the latest firmware version v1.0.2.90 today which made no differences. What are the options in fixing this issue? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Blueice9
Tutor

Re: R7800 Router Access Control Enabled Causes Phone Blocked from Wifi

Okay, Here is the solutions summary:

1. I did a factory reset first, then enabling Access Control, my phone no longer was blocked at this point. Whoohoo! But, I still could not find my phone MAC listed in the ADMIN access control panel. Here is why in #2.

2. The reason is that after some phone software updates, the Phone MAC mode was being switched to Randomized MAC, which changes at times. Thus, after enabling Netgear Access Control, block all new devices, my phone has the random MAC is being treated as a New device, which is blocked per design. ;-).

Thanks, plemans !

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

anytime theres an issue after a firmware upgrade, one of the first things recommended is a factory reset and then new setup (not from a backup). Have you tried that?

Message 2 of 5
Blueice9
Tutor

Thanks for your suggestion. The issue has been there Before the upgrade. I did an upgrade out of curiocity if it can fix the issue. But it did not. Will try factory reset when I get a chance.

https://www.lifewire.com/reset-netgear-router-5121200

Message 3 of 5
Blueice9
Tutor

Okay, Here is the solutions summary:

1. I did a factory reset first, then enabling Access Control, my phone no longer was blocked at this point. Whoohoo! But, I still could not find my phone MAC listed in the ADMIN access control panel. Here is why in #2.

2. The reason is that after some phone software updates, the Phone MAC mode was being switched to Randomized MAC, which changes at times. Thus, after enabling Netgear Access Control, block all new devices, my phone has the random MAC is being treated as a New device, which is blocked per design. ;-).

Thanks, plemans !

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/m-p...

If at most cases, while at home, WiFi Private Address can be disabled. Enabled it if you travel lots. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series