Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 and Nest Protect

GuyBrush85
Aspirant

R7800 and Nest Protect

Hello, I have a netgear R7800 on the latest firmware (.28) and I'm having issues with Nest Protect.

Before buying and installing the Netgear I had my (now modem), in router mode and Nest Protect worked fine.

The Nest protect is a 2.4 Ghz device only. When I do the original setup and check attached devices it briefly shows up, then it drops from the network and never seems to get back on.

I have done the following. Each change made, I factory reset the protect and re-add it onto my Nest account.

Changed from auto to channel 6
Changed from 800Mbps to 347
Reserved the IP of the device against the MAC and forwarded some ports following a conversation with Nest support as a test (I never had to do this on the old router)
Enabled the guest network and joined it that
Enabled the guest network to have access to the LAN.

All of the above to no avail.

All my other devices are on 5Ghz, or Ethernet. However I joined my phone to 2.4Ghz and used it fine for a day, so this seem isolated to this device.

Access control is disabled
QOS is switched off
Parental controls are disabled
I'm using OpenDNS instead of my ISP's
UPnP is enabled.

Anymore information required, please let me know.
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
GuyBrush85
Aspirant

Re: R7800 and Nest Protect

Well the replacement Nest unit came and I managed to get it all connected up straight away. Couldn't say why the old unit worked perfectly fine before I moved to the Netgear!

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
GuyBrush85
Aspirant

I've also just reset the router back to factory default again with new SSID and tried again, still having the same issue.

Thanks
Message 2 of 14
GuyBrush85
Aspirant

Spoke with Netgear support. They had me channel the channel to 11 (not sure what difference that makes over 6, which I tried)

Enable QOS... It's a 200Mbit connection, I'm not sure what QOS is going to achieve.

Finally change the CTS/RTS to 2304, this is the only change outside what I had done and I didn't have much faith. 

2 hours later as requested to check and the issue remains.

I factory reset the Protect (again) and watched it come up in attached devices (it's also in my logs)

I tried to change the name of it in attached devices and the one thing I did note is that whilst on the main screen it showed up as a 2.4Ghz device, when I clicked into the screen to rename the device, it showed as Eth? Could be just a bug in the software, but that's the situation up to date.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 3 of 14
GuyBrush85
Aspirant

Any chance of anyone actually helping?
Message 4 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi GuyBrush85,

You have mentioned that you have connected your phone to 2.4Ghz and works fine. So the issue has been isolated with the Nest Protect. Will it connect to a different network? Have you tried contacting Nest protect support?

Message 5 of 14
Mighty_Putty
Apprentice

I've just replaced an Asus RT-AC87R with an X10.  My home has 3 Nest Protects, and I have not seen any drops on those devices so far, but I wanted to ask you (based on anecdotal correlations with Asus router owners for the past few years), does the 7800 have a smart connect option or band steering between the 2.4 & 5 GHz bands ?  If so, have you turned same option off and tried to validate your Nest devices stability (or lack thereof)? That was a huge issue with a few choice Asus firmware revs until it was fixed. 

Have you verified in the Nest app interface that it's actually offline, or are you just going with with device connectivity on the web interface of the 7800?  I did notice a couple of devices appearing to fall off intermittently from the router's web interface, (one in particular being a connected Netgear fully populated switch), but none of the attached devices ever lost connectivity. It appears to be a defect, maybe, in the GUI functionality.

I looked up:

https://nest.com/support/article/Troubleshooting-Wi-Fi-and-connection-issues

https://nest.com/support/article/Troubleshooting-when-Nest-Protect-disconnects-or-is-offline-in-the-...

Not sure if any of those are applicable to you?

My 2.4 GHz is set to channel 7 (not a 1,6,11 guy ), the mode is "up to 800 Mbps" and I'm not enabling 20/40 MHz coexistence.

I changed the preamble mode to short (tried to emulate my Asus settings as much as possible with the limited NetGear choices), did not select HT-160 because of potential Apple connectivity issues, & left IGMP proxy (and multicasting) disabled.

I don't know if this was helpful, but figured at least it might be a starting point...

Message 6 of 14
GuyBrush85
Aspirant

@JamesGL

Prior to buying the R7800, I used the ISP's router in router mode (it's currently just a modem) and the Nest Protect worked fine. I did contact Nest Support prior to logging this and we went through all the steps they have and got not futher. 

@Mighty_Putty

I'm not aware of any band steering option. I had a good look through all the menu's and don't believe I saw anything. Tbh, I found there to be a lot less options than I was expecting! It could be somewhere in another menu, or 'I can't see the woods for the trees'.

Yeah, whilst it was dropping off in the Web interface, it does also show offline in Nest within a couple of days (It seems that's the threshold that Nest set on the battery operated Protects). I'm also unable to do the test through the Wifi and finally the last checkup will always say 3 months and never updates, which it should do when you do the initial setup and test.

Will try and mirror your setup (although I've not seen the premable part from memory, so will look when I get home) and see how I get on. I'll give anything a try!

Message 7 of 14
GuyBrush85
Aspirant

Tried all of the above tonight and still getting nowhere with it! Maybe support want to enable debugging and look at some logs?
Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Saw issuse with Nest thermostats a couple of years ago. Had to do with Nest and wifi drivers that some mfrs use that dont' get along well. It was mostly NESTs issue at the time.

Saw one work around was to change to G mode using 20Mhz.

I would try single mode G and WPA and TPIK to see if the Protect can connect and remain connected. Then graduate changing to WPA2 and TPIK/AES, then try a mixed mode G and N or single mode N with WPA2 and test.

Message 9 of 14
GuyBrush85
Aspirant

Tried everything barring taking the password completely off 2.4, which I don't even want to do for testing purposes. Have passed back the info to Nest to see what they can do, maybe RMA my Protect and see if the problem is on another one. That or I need to take my nest to someone elses just to test it on another router, but it seems to be a compatability issue by the looks of it. 

I still have a case open with Netgear, but have not yet recieved any response on that.

Message 10 of 14
Mighty_Putty
Apprentice

A bit pedestrian, but did you replace the battery on your Nest Protect as part of your troubleshooting steps?  I believe I read in one of their documents that when the battery hits a certain threshold, wifi becomes impacted.  Just to exhaust all troubleshooting steps... I looked in the phone app for mine, and do see where it runs a battery check as part of its maintenance routine, but -as context for this suggestion- I also have a Samsung Smartthings hub, and a few of its sensors.  I'd encountered non responsiveness with a couple of the multi sensors.  Even though they'd reported 100 percent battery capacity, I changed them out (after trying everything else) and they began working again.  Didn't know if you'd explored that already, though.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Aside doing a quick test with WPA disabled to see if the NEST would connnect then re-enabling WPA, you could test a different model or Mfr router.

This seems to be a NEST issue and would start there.

Good Luck.

Message 12 of 14
GuyBrush85
Aspirant

Well the replacement Nest unit came and I managed to get it all connected up straight away. Couldn't say why the old unit worked perfectly fine before I moved to the Netgear!

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone.
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Could have been faulty or started to give out.

Enjoy. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7