Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 - bombed out and then "WPS in progress"

poyntzj
Aspirant

R7800 - bombed out and then "WPS in progress"

One of my R7800's freaked out this morning and post rebooting finally came up with no wifi (only used for a printer, (so not the end of the world).

I took a backup and then got another R7800 out and restored the backup.

Went to check the wireless and I am constantly told "WPS is in progress"

No its not, 

Pressing the button did naff all, and I am not going to do a hard reset as for my configuration I would need to downgrade to apply some port forwarding and upgrade (why Netgear say that you cannot forward multiple ports to a single port in the later versions is beyond stupid, but they have - need to downgrade where you can redirect numerous external ports to a single internal port).

Anyway, I digress.

I knew I had an earler backup somewhere and found it this evening.  Used that to restore to the R7800 with the WPS in progress, and voila, the wifi is back and is now operational.

Maybe worth keeping a good known backup of your routers around so if you need to restore or fix the WPS in progress, you have a fighting chance.

I used to use dd-wrt and wanted a mesh, but it cannot do wired backbone when in mesh mode - hence why I have three of these.  I reverted to the OOB firmware for stability etc, but I do find it not 100% stable and this today is making me wonder again about moving to dd-wrt - they allow more config and do address security issues a bit quicker, but some elements are lagging as some of the acceleration they cannot do......

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7800 - bombed out and then "WPS in progress"

What FW is loaded on the routers? 

Would be best to try most current version of FW and not load up any backup configurations from other versions of FW. May induce problems. 

Does connecting the printer using the routers wifi SSID name and password work to get it connected? 

Message 2 of 5
poyntzj
Aspirant

version V1.0.2.92

the wireless was all showing as "OFF" which is why I was trying to get it back up again,  I am in the UK and frequently wifi hits the UK channels, but my printer is stuck in the US region, so the R7800 is in US mode and only the printer connects

If the backup /restore didn't work, it would have been over to a 3rd party firmware

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You should be able to maually set US channels, 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. If the printer supports 5Ghz, then US channels 36 thru 48 to start. 

Message 4 of 5

@poyntzj wrote:

I used to use dd-wrt and wanted a mesh, but it cannot do wired backbone when in mesh mode - hence why I have three of these. 

Mesh mode? How does that work? The R7800 does not have the network technology needed for that.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7