Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7800 eSATA LED on, no Wi-Fi, LAN OK

DV-NightHawk
Aspirant

R7800 eSATA LED on, no Wi-Fi, LAN OK

My R7800 suddenly showed a white eSATA LED. no Wi-FI Connection anymore and i cannot connect to the 192.168.1.1 anymore, even not with a cable.So the login towards the router is gone

If i connect the router to the internet and that works for the 4LAN ports

Seems like the complete Wi-Fi part is gone. Seems very early for a device which is hardly 3 years old...

Seems like a forware or flash-memory issue. is there a way to fix this?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 11
wcalifas
Prodigy

Re: R7800 eSATA LED on, no Wi-Fi, LAN OK

Try pressing the wifi LED on the right hand side of the LED'S (the 2nd LED) on the right hand side for 2 seconds. See if it turns the wifi back on. If that doesn't work power cycle your router and see if the wifi comes back on. If it doesn't you can do a hard reset where you press the reset pinhole for 30 seconds with a paper clip while your router is on, that will reset your router back to factory default like when you used it the first time. Let us know what happens.
Message 2 of 11
DV-NightHawk
Aspirant

Tried all that, nothing helps

when powering on via the on-/off switch: eSATA lights up white, port 1,2,3,4 pinkish, all for 1s, then eSATA stays on, bright white

The 2.4 and 5GHz LEDs light up very dimmed 

Message 3 of 11

Had any thunderstorms lately?

What colour is the power LED?

What firmware version is installed?

How about a recovery reset?

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

Message 4 of 11
Kitsap
Master

If you have made it this far without success, there is a chance the firmware on your router has become corrupted.  Any type of a power glitch or interruption may be the cause.

If you have access to the GUI, download a fresh copy of the firmware and flash it over the top of the existing.  Do a reset and configure from scratch.  Some of your settings may also be corrupted.

If there is a newer version of the firmware available, that is also an option.

Since you have an R7800, you also have the option of Voxel firmware (refined Netgear).  See here:  http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/index.html 

Message 5 of 11
DV-NightHawk
Aspirant

I do not have access to the UI. The router is not giving out IP addresses, also not over wired. there's also no gateway address.

I wonder if there's an option to flash the firmware via USB stiick direclty. (like they do with eg TVs)

Message 6 of 11
DV-NightHawk
Aspirant

No thunderstorms or power interrupts - since there's an adapter in between it's very unlikely this would get into the router anyway

the power led is off, like mentioned noly SATA is lit and 2.4 and 5GHz very very weakly

firmware verison: no idea since I don't have access

recovery reset doesn't work either.

I just checked: no power out of the USBs either.

Message 7 of 11
Kitsap
Master

There is the TFTP method of uploading firmware.  Here is the link to the knowledge base article:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP 

There are several YouTube videos that provide an overview of the process.  The process requires touch and timing for success.  In YouTube search for Netgear TFTP firmware recovery.  Your mileage may vary!

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 8 of 11
DV-NightHawk
Aspirant

This just gives a connect request failed...

Message 9 of 11

@DV-NightHawk wrote:

No thunderstorms or power interrupts - since there's an adapter in between it's very unlikely this would get into the router anyway

If you mean the mains power adapter, dream on.

Next to nothing will be quick enough to blow up before the shock hits the router's chips.

I've had a lightning strike on a telephone like take out a network.

On adapters, have you tried a different power brick? These things are generic. Any adapter will work, as long as it has the right volts, enough amps and a tip with the right (+/-) polarity and dimensions.

Message 10 of 11

@DV-NightHawk wrote:

This just gives a connect request failed...

TFTP is picky, especially the timing. You may have to try it several times.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7