Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7900P won't connect to Nighthawk unless rebooted

MAFopinion
Guide

R7900P won't connect to Nighthawk unless rebooted

Good evening.  I have had my R7900P in place for about 18 months.  Use the security and parental controls subscriptions.  I have been successfully using the Nighthawk app to manage the network.  Two days ago, I received an update notification for firmware in the app and went ahead and began the update process (as I had in the past).  After several minutes I received a failed update message.  I tried to get back to the home page of the app to try again but at the admin screen the Face ID verification would hang and eventually give me a time out message for verification.

I then rebooted the router and was able to again log in through the app.  Attempted a speed test and received an error message after some spinning.  App returned to the admin login verification page and again wouldn't load.  I rebooted the router and was again able to log in with the app.

The next morning, opened the app and again could not get verified.  I then logged into the router via browser and changed the admin password.  I was able to successfully log into the router via browser and all seemed to be fine.  The admin page also says that I'm running Firmware 1.4.1.6_1.3.26 which appears to be the latest per the product page on the Netgear site.

This afternoon my iMac would not access the internet (all other devices were working) so I restarted Mac and rebooted router.  Login through the app using the new PW credentials was successful.  Navigated through the app for a bit and hoped that all was resolved.  Again tried a speed test and now cannot get back into the router with the Nighthawk app, but can connect via routerlogin.net using Goggle Chrome browser via my phone connected to the network.

Any ideas on what steps I can take to get the management of the router back through the app without rebooting every day would be much appreciated.  I know this is alot of information but if there are other facts required, please let me know.  Thanks much.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R7900P won't connect to Nighthawk unless rebooted

By way of follow up, I have reviewed the manual firmware update directions and think they make sense, but as it relates to the factory reset I don't see some of the detailed steps I'd hoped to review before beginning.  When you say clean reset, I assume you mean from the app as though it was fresh out of the box?  I assume that the app will allow me to connect to my existing paid security subscription? 

By clean install, I just mean don't use a backup configuration. If an old/bad setting is causing the issue, a backup just puts that setting back in there. That's why we say clean install.

You should be able to reconnect your armor subscription without issue. it should be tied to your account and not the router. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

here's what I'd try doing. 

Reinstall the firmware using a hardwired connection to the router and then factory reset it and do a clean install (not from backup)

That covers multiple bases. 

1. if the firmware was corrupt, a firmware reinstall overwrites it. 

2. if a setting was corrupt, a factory reset clears that

3. the there was a old setting that changed with the new firmware, making sure to not use a backup covers that. 

in the future, I'd highly recommend against using the app. Usually when we see corrupt firmware issues, its when its updated over wireless or using the app. 

Message 2 of 10
MAFopinion
Guide

Thanks so much for your reply and assistance.  I was afraid this was going to be the recommended course of action.  Starting fresh is always a bit intimidating to me. . .

By way of follow up, I have reviewed the manual firmware update directions and think they make sense, but as it relates to the factory reset I don't see some of the detailed steps I'd hoped to review before beginning.  When you say clean reset, I assume you mean from the app as though it was fresh out of the box?  I assume that the app will allow me to connect to my existing paid security subscription? 

I appreciate your thoughtful advice and any additional quick clariifcation you can provide.

Thanks very much.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

By clean install, I just mean don't use a backup configuration. If an old/bad setting is causing the issue, a backup just puts that setting back in there. That's why we say clean install.

You should be able to reconnect your armor subscription without issue. it should be tied to your account and not the router. 

Message 4 of 10
MAFopinion
Guide

Thank you very much.

Message 5 of 10
Lotusguy
Aspirant

Did these steps fix the problem? I have exactly the same problem and I installed the update today (1/8/21)

Message 6 of 10
MAFopinion
Guide

I have only had time to re-install the firmware with an ethernet connected computer.  That does not seem to have helped, so I'll be trying the hard reset as soon as I have time to start fresh.  The router otherwise, works. . .

Message 7 of 10
Lotusguy
Aspirant

I believe the problem is a bug introduced in the update. I await the results of your complete factory reset before I do the same.  I wonder if Netgear is aware of this problem.

Message 8 of 10
MAFopinion
Guide

After completing a factory reset and freshly configuring, the router seems to be functioning as normal and I am able to use the Nighthawk app to access the network, test the speed, etc.  It has just been a few hours, but so far the instructions have solved the problem.  Here is what I did (keep in mind that I had previously updated the Firmware using the ethernet connected computer to do a manual firmware update):

1.)  Connected to the router with ethernet connection and unplugged all other switches, etc (left the modem plugged into the router).

2.)  Logged in using Chrome browser at routerlogin.net.  Navigated to Advanced > Administration > Router update.

3.)  Created and saved a backup file (I did not use this to reconfigure, but wanted to have it just in case).

4.)  Clicked the Erase button, confirmed and allowed a reboot.

5.)  I had planned to reconfigure with the browser set-up wizard, but when the router rebooted, it suggested that I use the app to reconfigure.  I decided to opened the app and used the  New Setup button.  

6.)  The only hitch here was that for whatever reason the app would not recognize the QR code that is on the top of the router to assist with the setup.  No problem, I simply used Settings in my iPhone to connect to the network listed on the sticker.  

7.)  From there just followed the prompts to reset the modem, reset the admin password, set up the security questions, activate security (I am not sure why, but I did not have to enter my Netgear account information again (perhaps because it is in my iCloud keychain) but find that my security subscription has the correct renewal date), activate my guest network and activate Circle.

8.)  The only negative surprise is that I had to reset Circle completely as new.  All of the assignment of devices to my kids and the custom filters were gone.  Not a big deal but slightly annoying.

9.)  Reconnected switches, etc to the router and used speed test.

Not sure what happened, but at least for the moment, all seems to be corrected.  From now on, I'll only do the firmware updates via ethernet connection and hope that will keep things stable.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 10
Lotusguy
Aspirant

Thanks so much for the step-by-step instructions. I'll try this next week when I have a chance.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7