Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7960P - blocking outgoing traffic to certain Ports. Does it Conflict with Windows Firewall Rules ?

rdhaduva1
Aspirant

R7960P - blocking outgoing traffic to certain Ports. Does it Conflict with Windows Firewall Rules ?

Hello Experts,

I desparately need help. Not sure if the problem i am facing is realted to my Router or not , but still wanted to share and seek assistance. Have been using my Nighthawk AC3600 Tri-band WiFi Router for over a year now. 

I have recently stood a Oracle Database on an Amazon AWS EC2 instance and went through all the steps to get it up and running on the AWS infrastructure and was able to connect to Linux Server from my Windows 7 laptop at home through a SSH client installed on my laptop.

Now, the painful part - I also have Oracle's SQL Developer, a windows based GUI client tool that I use to connect to the Oracle Database installed on the remote EC2 instance. To allow for this remote access, when I was setting up the AWS EC2 instance, as part of the security group, I have open ports 22(for SSH) and 1521 (for TCP) incoming traffic. But no matter what I try, I just not able to connect to the remote database using this GUI SQL Developer. I've been a whole lot of forums and tried all kinds of suggested workarounds but none worked so far.

However, one of the posts mentioned that sometimes the Windows Firewall on the local desktop or laptop may block this outgoing traffic and they suggested to add and Outgoing Rule to allow all requests going to Port 1521 be Allowed. I followed that suggestion but that did not work either. 

So, I am down to one last post which mentioned that sometimes the Wifi Routers have a built-in security that may conflict with the Windows Firewall rules and do not Allow traffic to reach the destination even though Windows Firewall is setup to Allow.

My Question - Do you know if this Router or any Netgear Router has conflicts with Windows Firewall Rules and if it so, then how to fix this problem ?

Thanks for your patience & help

Regards

Rakesh

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7960P

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Did you disable uPnP if you set up any port fowards or triggers? 

Message 2 of 7
rdhaduva1
Aspirant

Re: R7960P -

Hi Furrye38

Thanks for prompt response. 

My NG router is connect to Verizon Modem - Actiontec MI424WR Rev 1

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Your modem already has a router and wifi built in. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Message 4 of 7
rdhaduva1
Aspirant

Thanks Furrye38. I will try those options to remove the Double NAT situation.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 6 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements