Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7960P unable to update frimware

SHRNKS
Follower

R7960P unable to update frimware

Bought a second hand Nighthawk X6S. I was able to setup and connect it to my modem (C7000v2) no problem, but it will not accept firmware updates. I have tried it through the app, going through my pc on wired connection with the auto updater and by manually uploading the .chk file with no luck. Any recommendations? Current firmware for the router is (V1.4.1.44_1.3.5). Further info on the router being second hand, I bought it from a thrift store and have no way to get a hold of the previous owner.

Message 1 of 4

Re: R7960P unable to update frimware

@SHRNKS wrote:

Bought a second hand Nighthawk X6S. I was able to setup and connect it to my modem (C7000v2) no problem, but it will not accept firmware updates.

You are adding a router to a modem/router. Bad idea.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local problems with address on your network. Among other things, the other router can misdirect traffic to addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual default IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point (AP) with a wired connection to the main router. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

My NETGEAR or Orbi router is connected to an ISP gateway or another router, and it's causing double ...

For your C7000v2 read this bit of the manual:

Connect Your Modem Router to a Router After Installation and Activation

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode.

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

You're on the 2nd oldest firmware there is for that model. You might have to take a stepped system to update. try going a version or 2 newer versus the latest version. try the 1.4.1.64 version

Message 3 of 4

@plemans wrote:

You're on the 2nd oldest firmware there is for that model. You might have to take a stepped system to update. try going a version or 2 newer versus the latest version. try the 1.4.1.64 version

Good thinking. Here's a way to avoid trying them one at a time.

If the latest doesn't stick try one half way between the installed version and the latest.

If that works, try the latest. If not, go somewhere in the middle again.

If not, again, go half way between the one you tried and yours.

Repeat until it works.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7