Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 USB 3.0 No Disk

KevanB
Aspirant

R8000 USB 3.0 No Disk

Just purchased X6S AC4000. Download latest firmware and set everything up. Then, plugged in my WD Passport 4TB external drive to the 3.0 USB and the drive is not found. When I tried to set it up in ReadyShare a message popped up that said ‘No Disk.’ I connected the drive directly to a PC and everything seems fine. This drive worked great with no problems in previous AC1900 R7000.
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
KevanB
Aspirant

Re: R8000 USB 3.0 No Disk

Called support. They had me insert a flash drive into the USB 3.0 and it was recognized. I then plugged in the WD 4TB HD back into the USB 3.0 and it worked. Go figure.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Those portable drives pull power from the USB port. Do not work in all routers and even can work in one port and not the other. Try the USB 2.0 port, might work there. In general, drives should be external desktops, not portable ones.

Also possible when the drive was removed from the R7000 it got 'damaged' to a minor extent. Since it works on a PC, take it back there and run CHKDKS /F on the drive as it might find a problem, fix it, and then it would work.

Message 2 of 7
KevanB
Aspirant

Already tried the USB 2.0 and got the same 'No Disk.' I have already scanned the drive and have found no problems on two differenct PCs. I will also try the 'run CHKDKS /F' suggestion. That said, there are numerous complaints about this issue. I am running out of patience and plan to return the router if I cannot fix it quickly.

Thanks you for the recommendations.

Message 3 of 7
KevanB
Aspirant

Took back the AC4000 R8000P and downgraded to AC2300 R7000P. I really didn't need that much router anyway. Everything worked fine when I set it up including the USB 3.0. That is until I downloaded the new firmware. Once that was installed, I lost the USB again and Genie stopped recognizing the network. Conclusion: firmware is the root cause. Please fix this, Netgear!

Message 4 of 7
IrvSp
Master

Sometimes when upgrading, you have to do the RESET and manually reenter all settings. Especially when things go wrong. Normally, on an upgrade this isn't and shouldn't be needed. However, sometimes it does fix the problem.

Fix this? Doubt if a NG employee will see this, much less one that would be able to do that? Since you just bought the unit, use SUPPORT on the top menu, log in or create USERID, register the router if you have not done that, then select MY SUPPORT, and CONTACT NETGEAR SUPPORT and report the problem. Give full details, USB 3.0 doesn't work after upgrade  might be a good subject, but the f/w version you installed and how should be included in the text. They will contact you and work with you.

Message 5 of 7
KevanB
Aspirant

Called support. They had me insert a flash drive into the USB 3.0 and it was recognized. I then plugged in the WD 4TB HD back into the USB 3.0 and it worked. Go figure.

Message 6 of 7
IrvSp
Master

@KevanB wrote:

Your answer just 'worke me up'.

On my R8000 there is an annoying problem with the USB drive too. My drive isn't always recognized, also a WD but a 2TB External. Sometimes, but not every time, when the router is rebooted, or powered off and on, the drive isn't recognize? However I figured out by touching the drive it wasn't running. If I just unplug the drive and plug it back in, I could feel it start spinning, and then it was recognized and I could use it. Doesn't happen all the time either. Drives do 'spin down', and the default is usually short after use. I suspect the f/w doesn't always see the drive when starting?

The R8000P has additional features, but I'd suspect the base firmware could be the R8000:

• Processor is 1.8Ghz compared to 1Ghz of R8000.
  • It has port aggregation which combines two Gigabit Ethernet ports to improve the aggregated file transfer speed(Given if you have devices that uses Link aggregation like NAS).
  • MU-MIMO support.
  • Memory is 128MB flash and 512MB RAM compared to 128MB flash and 256MB RAM.
  • Wireless is Upto 4GHz speed distributed to 2.4Ghz and 2(5GHz).

Next time if it should happen, just unplug the drive and plug it in again, with the power on too, that is all I need to do.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7