Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 can only get full speed if I factory reset it, but it only lasts for few minutes.

teddy_c
Aspirant

R8000 can only get full speed if I factory reset it, but it only lasts for few minutes.

My broadband plan is 1Gbps and I use R8000.

I did a factory reset.

Then I plugged in the ethernet cable and did Speed Test , at beginning I can get 950Mbps, but a few minutes later I can only get about 300Mbps-400Mbps.

My pc was the only device that connected to R8000

Firmware version: V1.0.4.68_10.1.75

Does anyone know how to solve?

Thanks.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: R8000 can only get full speed if I factory reset it, but it only lasts for few minutes.

how are you speedtesting? 

Using the built in app? 

Using speedtest through the browser?
what device are you testing on? 

What modem are you using?

Message 2 of 9
teddy_c
Aspirant

how are you speedtesting? 

- speedtest app and speedtest website, they all give the same speed around 300-400Mbps

Using the built in app? 

- the built in speedtest also gives the same speed.

what device are you testing on? 

- Mac OS

What modem are you using?

- ISP provided ONU

Message 3 of 9

@teddy_c wrote:

- ISP provided ONU

That tells us not much.

Does it have a model number?

Message 4 of 9
teddy_c
Aspirant

Hi, thank you for your reply

I think the model of ONU doesn't matter since if I plug the cable directly from the ONU to my PC, I can get around 980Mbps.

Message 5 of 9
teddy_c
Aspirant

Is there any way to solve this issue?

Message 6 of 9

@teddy_c wrote:

I think the model of ONU doesn't matter since if I plug the cable directly from the ONU to my PC, I can get around 980Mbps.

That's an unwise assumption.

@plemans asked for that information because it could be important. They want to eliminate possible reasons for the problems you see.

If you don't wont to tell people, fine. But you won't get very far.

Message 7 of 9
teddy_c
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@teddy_c wrote:

That's an unwise assumption.

@plemansasked for that information because it could be important. They want to eliminate possible reasons for the problems you see.

If you don't wont to tell people, fine. But you won't get very far.

For the time being, I will just ignore your unreasonable reply which doesn't reveal your purpose of being here my friend.

Alcatel-Lucent G-240G-C is the model number.

Message 8 of 9

@teddy_c wrote:

For the time being, I will just ignore your unreasonable reply which doesn't reveal your purpose of being here my friend.

Alcatel-Lucent G-240G-C is the model number.

Sorry if you feel that asking for clarification is unreasonable. When people turn up here with "it doesn't work" complaints it is tiresome having to wheedle important details out of them.

You were asked twice, but still would not answer. To me that is unreasonable.

As suspected, according to the Google gods that looks like a modem/router. Does it have a row of Ethernet ports on the front? Does it do wifi?

This is far from a case of "ONU doesn't matter". It matters a lot. It means that you probably have two routers on your network.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply modem/routers that won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This might help:

alcatel-lucent g-240g-c bridge mode - Google Search

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7