Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 fios slow internet speeds

Igotit_ohno
Tutor

R8000 fios slow internet speeds

So I've had this router for a couple years now and I didn't really notice until recently just how bad the performance really is. I have Fios gigabit internet and have verified the feed from Verizon is about 1000mbps up and down, but I can't seem to get over the 350mbps download and about 80mbps upload out of the router. I tried tying directly in and the performance was even worse somehow. How can I fix this and get the true performance out of the router? I've tried some of the other solutions on here but none have worked. please help as I do not want to have to buy a different router!

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

1. you won't hit gigabit over wireless. Wired yes. 

2. What modem/gateway do you have from verizon that the netgear is connected to? 

3. try factory resetting the router. during the install, make sure to leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled. 

Message 2 of 10
Igotit_ohno
Tutor

1. I understand I won't get the same performance on wireless but in the netgear app, it only registers 350mbps connection to the internet. also when I hardwire in to the router I'm not getting gigabit either. however the raw feed from Verizon reads 1000mbps.  The router is rated for gigabit speeds, would it not read gigabit when running the speedtest to see what is possible? How do I know what the true performance is?
  2. As far as I understand, Verizon Fios gigabit does not use a modem or gateway. 
  3. I've had everything disabling from the beginning and tried enabling today it to fix it. Of course then I saw this community site and realized they all said to keep them off... I will try to reset everything and see what happens. 
Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

Most verizon services have some type of gateway or ONT. Just curious what yours is connected to. 

You should be able to hit gigabit speeds on that device. Let me know how it goes after the factory reset/retest

Message 4 of 10
Igotit_ohno
Tutor

I believe from what I understand I have an ONT connection.

So I finally got around to doing the factory reset (or at least I think I did) and literally nothing has changed. I re-made my wifi name and password and went through the whole process and it’s doing the exact same thing. Other issues I’ve discovered now that I’m diving into it include the Ethernet connections not working at all as well as constantly dropping signals. I hadn’t really though anything of it but I have some security cameras and they constantly drop their signals they typically come back on after a few minutes but lately all of them have stopped working because of the internet connection.

What else can I do? When I did the factory reset and it checked for firmware updates, it said none available. I would assume a reset would have whipped the updates but that doesn’t seem to have happened. Did I do something wrong?
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What CAT# lan cable are you using between the modem and router and your wired devices? CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 6 of 10
Igotit_ohno
Tutor

I’m using a Cat5e cable for everything. That’s what came with the house and just the cable I have around. When I plug my computer into the raw FIOS Ethernet it runs up to the gigabit using the 5e cables. Once it passes through the router it drops to the 300mbps download and 50 mbps upload.

Firmware v.1.0.4.84 which I think is the newest. This is even after I did the factory reset.
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

When you did the FR and setup from scratch did you enable Access controls, Armor, Circle, QoS or Traffic Meter? I saw issues with these enabled and had to FR and setup from scratch with out enabled those:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-X6-R8000-not-getting-gigabit-speed...

Message 8 of 10
Igotit_ohno
Tutor

Nope, they are all disabled.
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

And did you power OFF the ONT when you did the FR on the router for 1 minute then back ON? 

Only other item to try would be to maybe downgrade FW, try v.76, FR, power cycle the ONT, and then setup the router from scratch I would either not set the SSID name and leave it as default for now, then go in and immediately do a speed test with your wired PC using Ooklas installable speed test app, try a couple of different test sites with in the app. Or if you set a custom SSID for the wifi, turn OFF the wifi radios temporarily on the router before running the wired speed test. Trying to eliminate other devices maybe slowing something down. Disconnect all other wired devices accept for the wired PC. Try testing a different wired PC to compare results as well.

Try a CAT6 cable between the ONT and router if possible. 

Does the router seem to get warm or overly warm at all? 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7