Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000P Firmware Rollback

NicoR
Aspirant

R8000P Firmware Rollback

Hello,

I have been having issues with the internet connection on the PCs in the our households.

It always said when googling something that the website could not be reached and only after refreshing the page multiple times it worked.

So I searched up some stuff and also found that you should try to update your router´s firmware to an older version of it and see if it works.

That is what I tried to do but I forgot the answers to the Password Security Questions so I factory reseted the router and the questions and tried again but now when I answer the questions it still says that they are incorrect, so I can not login.

What can I do so the Security Questions work and that I can Rollback the firmware?

Message 1 of 8

@NicoR wrote:

So I searched up some stuff and also found that you should try to update your router´s firmware to an older version of it and see if it works.

That sounds like bad advice. Where did you read it?

You would do better to start with your problem and look for solutions.

I have been having issues with the internet connection on the PCs in the our households.

It always said when googling something that the website could not be reached and only after refreshing the page multiple times it worked.

What makes you think that the router is involved? Any error messages or anything?

Which website "could not be reached"? One in particular? All websites?

Which browser? Have you tried a different browser?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

Apologies for all the questions. But you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Message 2 of 8
billybob420
Aspirant

Most likely this is the DNS issue introduced in some firmware revision over a year ago; I think it was version 1.0.4.76 (at least, that's the R8000 firmware version that broke DNS lookups about 50% of the time for me and many others), so rolling back to version 1.0.4.68 would most likely fix it. Netgear does not seem interested in fixing this absolutely broken firmware, so I'm personally using the Fresh Tomato firmware now as it actually works.

It's unfortunate how bad Netgear has gotten these days, will personally be grabbing an Asus router next time I upgrade.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Before rolling back the firmware, try enabling IPv6. 

For a lot of people that helped fix the issue.

If that doesn't work, then I'd try the rollback

Message 4 of 8
NicoR
Aspirant

I am trying to rollback the firmware but when I get to the point where I have to answer the Security Questions it tells me that the answers are wrong and I already factory reset the router to confirm that the answers are right.

So I can not log into the admin manual.

What can I do to fix it with the Security Questions?

Message 5 of 8

@NicoR wrote:

I am trying to rollback the firmware but when I get to the point where I have to answer the Security Questions it tells me that the answers are wrong and I already factory reset the router to confirm that the answers are right.

So I can not log into the admin manual.

What can I do to fix it with the Security Questions?

If you are trying to use the "password recovery" option, there is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process. If you haven't already given the thing your personal answers, they are not in its memory and it has no way of knowing if they are correct.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 6 of 8
NicoR
Aspirant

I have already factory reset the router and provided answers to those questions but it still says that the answers are wrong.

Message 7 of 8

@NicoR wrote:

I have already factory reset the router and provided answers to those questions but it still says that the answers are wrong.

Does that mean that you set up password recovery?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7