Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000P firmware will not update

rbv6877
Aspirant

R8000P firmware will not update

R8000P router. Firmware is at 1.4.1.50. There is an update available to 1.4.5, but nothing I do will update it.

I have tried from the router app on my computer; i have tried by manually downloading the update and installing; I have reset the router to its factory settings and tried to update again. NOTHING WORKS!

How do I update my firmware?

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 9
rbv6877
Aspirant

Sorry, but the 'solutions' that have been posted are WAY too complicated. In fact, I wonder if they are spoofs.

Nevertheless, I couldn't even begin to try them. I'm not a computer noob, but those solutions are beyond me. I'm looking for something like 'clear this, reset that, try again.'

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Sorry, but this seems to be the only way to get the router updated. Maybe have a friend or family member help you out. Others have posted that this gets the router to update. 

Message 4 of 9
rbv6877
Aspirant

Update: I found 2 Netgear KB articles on updating using TFTP, and updating using the cmd prompt. I followed the instructions precisely and neither worked. One thing I noticed was that the instructions said that when you turn the router back on, wait for the orange power led to start blinking before hitting "put" or 'enter'. Mine never blinked. It was solid orange until it fully booted. I don't know if that is the problem, but it was the only thing different from the instructions.

Message 5 of 9
nyclewis
Star

I followed the instructions posted by Dave3544 (scroll down on link below). Also had to scroll back up to the top for reference on a couple of items. But this did the trick for me, without bothering with TFTP nor timing your resets.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-5-AC-Routers/R8000P-V1-4-1-50-Update-workaround/m-p... 

Message 6 of 9
rbv6877
Aspirant

More data to consider: Each time I did one of the updates, no matter what method, it looked like it was going successfully -- I got the usual 'firmware is updating' window; 'router is rebooting, do not turn off ... etc.' The router reboots and everything comes back online, EXCEPT it still shows the old firmware version number, and says an update is available. 

So here's a thought -- maybe it's the firmware version number that is displayed, and the update notification, that is the problem. Maybe the firmware actually updated but the version display and the update notification wasn't toggled properly.

Any comment, Netgear?

Message 7 of 9
nyclewis
Star

I tried updating one time (alternate method) with my link above and it went thru, no problems. It worked like a charm. Now there's DNS issues, but that's another story lol.
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

The only process that seems to work is this one posted here as others suggested already that works for them:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8000P-V1-4-1-50-Update-workaround/m-p/22488...

@rbv6877 wrote:

Update: I found 2 Netgear KB articles on updating using TFTP, and updating using the cmd prompt. I followed the instructions precisely and neither worked. One thing I noticed was that the instructions said that when you turn the router back on, wait for the orange power led to start blinking before hitting "put" or 'enter'. Mine never blinked. It was solid orange until it fully booted. I don't know if that is the problem, but it was the only thing different from the instructions.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7