Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000p can't update firmware

vinceroebuck
Apprentice

If netgear can't help and you can return the router, do it! It's a shame netgear isnt helping us with this problem.
Message 76 of 197
vinceroebuck
Apprentice

Dont get me wrong. I still use an R-7000 and an R-7900! No problems with them.
Message 77 of 197
chesh3
Guide

Curious if anyone has had success paying for support and having this fixed. I paid a lot for this router and would invest the money to fix it if it worked. I’m skeptical that there is any fix though as it seems to be hardware. Probably why this is being ignored by Netgear.
Message 78 of 197
nwork
Apprentice

Hi!

Somehow my previous reply got lost, so I'm reposting this.

I believe the only solution is to get a replacement unit. I received mine yesterday and so far, so good.

The new unit came with the .42 firmware. The most visible difference was the responsiveness of the menus. The older unit was quite sluggish in the menus, something which I imagined was the way it was supposed to work. Apparently not.

Regarding the problem originally mentioned by @Mitus, my new unit also had the speed limitation problem. Though I have a 1Gbps connection, this new router could only provide 400Mbps max (again, this was not a problem with the old one). I changed all possible settings and finally decided to do a firmware update. I updated to .64 without any issues and the speed issue was fixed. I now have a usable 1Gbps connection again.

The most discussed issue -- the firmware update -- is apparently fixed. There was no problem with updating from .42 to .64.

I can't tell yet whether the most frustrating problem with the older unit is gone. A reminder: it randomly froze once or twice per week and required a restart. I'll be able to give you an update on that in a few days' time.

The new unit also had the false DDoS attacks in the logs. I'm not sure how this works, but I appear to have found a solution for this. Apparently the automatic connection to the Netgear NTP server (the default setting) does not work so I had to input another server address manually. This updated the date and time used by the router and from what it seems also fixed the DDoS problem.

Regarding the missing second 5 Ghz network (I and some others also experienced this), from what I can tell the issue in fact has to do with the significant delay with which the second 5 Ghz networks shows up on devices after a reboot. Just like with the older unit, the new one takes a few good minutes for this network to be visible. Despite the LEDs and the router menu saying everything is ok after 2 minutes or so, you probably have to wait something closer to 10 minutes for it to be usable.

I hope this helps...

Cheers!

Message 79 of 197
nwork
Apprentice

I forgot about this:

One issue that is not fixed is the ghost devices appearing in the attached devices list. Strangely enough, from what I can tell this was not an issue with the .42 firmware (which was also aesthetically more appealing, imho). They changed the way this feature works with .50 and it is still broken in the most recent firmware. It's no issue in terms of functionality, but it's bizarre to see all sorts of unknown devices (that do not exist) supposedly connected to my network.

Message 80 of 197
chesh3
Guide

For return, did you have to go through process of signing up for tech support, let them try to update firmware and fail, then Get RMA? I’m outside of 90 day period. I also have ghost device issue, most of which are duplicates and on the same IP S other devices.
Message 81 of 197
vinceroebuck
Apprentice

I was like 20 days into my purchase so i sent it back to place of purchase. The ghost problem is also on my r7900! 🤔 good luck on your return
Message 82 of 197
nwork
Apprentice

I never paid anything additional for support (I find that's an appalling policy, especially for expensive products such as this one, and would never pay for something like that out of principle). Not sure why, but NG contacted me and, after a couple of phone conversations in which I clearly explained that I had tried absolutely everything and nothing worked, they agreed to replace the router. As a warning, the actual process took several weeks (over two months) and even though the NG people were very nice most of the time they would not make any progress unless I sent additional update requests. I'm OK now if this new unit works (so far everything seems to be ok). I still find it problematic that they don't admit that this is a large-scale issue and not a question of user error or circumstantial factors. I can tell you by comparing the two units I have (I'm returning the old one today) that they are behaving very differently and don't seem to be the same machine. So definitely major firmware and/or hardware problems, which the company should admit publicly and act accordingly.

Otherwise, you're probably right about the ghost devices being duplicates. I find it amusing that my list includes various iPhones despite the fact that we don't have any Apple products in the house. So it's not, say, two identical Android phones out of which one is real and one is a ghost, but rather one real Android phone and one random ghost iPhone. Weird. (Again, I tested the .42 firmware for about one hour and it had no such issues).

Message 83 of 197
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have tried multiple times to upgrade the firmware with no sucsess. It runs the reboot process and the firmware is still stuck at V1.4.1.50_1.3.10

The router tells me the new version is:

1.4.1.64_1.3.25

After process nothing... still at old firmware. tried 4 differant times using IOS, desktop and others. Why did I pay this much for a router that fails a basic firmware update function?

Any solutions beside returning? I don't have time for this non-sense.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 84 of 197
nwork
Apprentice

There are so many messages here with people trying everything possible to fix the firmware problem to no avail. Really, the only solution is to get another router. Since it seems only some R8000p routers are affected, if you can get a replacement there are good chances you will get a properly functioning machine, like you were supposed to in the first place. So, again, after struggling for months with this, the only solution is a replacement.

Message 85 of 197
Diggadaz
Initiate

Hope im not repeating as i did not read EVERY post but as already stated the only way to fix problem seems to be a replacement, I struggled with all the same things guys! Tried multiple times and was unable to get any help until i paid for the extended support, but they promised if something was actually wrong I receive a refund for that(139.99 i believe but gave me a promo code that made it more like 118.00). After this was finally able to speak to actual tech support which is not much better. Basically checked logs for dos attacks (a lot btw) they dialed in and attempted a manual updated (tried 100 times but whatever) and were unsuccessful. Tech support then went along, processed a replacement, created a new case # for my 118.00 refund and promised to expedite that to his supervisor. Hope this helps, make sure you badger them about the refund. Going to be at least 6 days until i receive a refund, this is crappy for anyone short on cash especially for what seems like it should be a known issue. If i don't get what i was promised rest assured ill be back to let you know. Good luck folks
Message 86 of 197
dsay84
Initiate

+1 for this issue. I bought this $300 router to replace a malfuctioning 7900, and here we go again. I see this has been going for months and no word from Netgear? I did go as far to try the tfptd64 method and it doesn't work (although it did successfully flash my 7900, but it did not resolve the issue it was having in dropping internet connectivity).

I just submitted my RMA and will update with how NG handles it. 

Message 87 of 197
chesh3
Guide

I don’t have the patience you do. The thought of having to waste hours with tech support on this gives me sweats. I chalking this up to a life lesson. No more Netgear. Glad it worked out for you though (hopefully). Using Comcast equipment now until I find another router with good parental controls.
Message 88 of 197
vinceroebuck
Apprentice

dsay84...My r7900 is starting to act up also. I have reverted back to my r-7000 now! Have a TP-Link c4000 in standby for when all the netgear stuff goes! Lol... good luck..
Message 89 of 197

Just so I'm clear, the only way to get this POS updated to the latest version is to download it onto my computer and connect it directly to the router? I have tried every solution under the sun besides connecting directly to the router via ethernet cable. I would need to purchase an adapter that is a USB to ethernet for my laptop since many laptops do not have an ethernet port these days. Appreciate it, thanks in advance. 

Message 90 of 197
nwork
Apprentice

Not worth the effort. It's not going to work via ethernet either. If the router is stuck with the .50 firmware then the only solution is a replacement. It is as of yet uncertain if the problem is with the .50 firmware per se and all routers using this version remain stuck with it, or if it's rather a harware problem that affects only some machines. Btw, even Netgear advertises updating via the phone app, so there should really be no problem with this. You don't need an ethernet cable. We're in 2020 after all...

So, bottom line:

1) If you're lucky enough to not have done the .50 firmware update, don't do it! jump straight to the latest version.

2) If you've done the .50 update and are now stuck with it, you will need a replacement. No other solution exists so far. The BS flaunted by some supposedly expert users around here (allegations of user error and inability to properly update etc.) is a result of ignorance, to say the least.

Message 91 of 197

Thanks for reply. I bought this thing from Best Buy for over $300 back in April when I had to start working from home (replacing an old TP-Link). I’m sure they won’t let me return it at this point so it sounds like I’m basically screwed.
Message 92 of 197
nwork
Apprentice

You should go for an RMA straight from Netgear. They should replace the unit with a new one that should function properly. Some users here have tried this (including myself) and most have been successful.

Message 93 of 197

Thank you. I will give it a try!
Message 94 of 197

Same issue as everyone here.  I was outside the 90 days free support but I was having none of the paid support.  I firmly informed them that this is not an issue with MY router but with ALL these routers on this firmware.  They agreed to open a ticket.  Then spent hours and two phone calls to satisfy Netgear that this issue is undefeatable and the only solution - besides a full refund - is a replacement. 

I was annoyed that I had to pay £15 to get a new router sent out before I return the current one.  But by this time I was just happy to move on.

Hoping it doesn't come with v1.4.1.50_1.3.10!

Message 95 of 197
BobStevenson
Apprentice

I don't think I have ever seen a company completely IGNORE and DECEIVE the public so BLATANTLY as NETGEAR has!!! An absolute joke....like our leadership here in the US!

I got my RMA way back and they sent another POS of the POS model number AND it immediately wanted to update to the deadly 1.4.1.50! I had to DL the .64 update from the site, unzip, and MANUALLY update the boat-anchor. It has 1.4.1.64 on it and still doesn't work properly (dropping connections, very slow at reconnecting, erroneous connected devices, AND that ACCESS CONTROL....I am not completely convinced that "feature" is working properly as I have seen neighboring units listed on MY devices.

I finally cut bait and sold the POS to a friend who is a "reverse engineer" as an occupation. This is one of the issues of purchasing junk that was made overseas with no support for the consumer at all. Doesn't matter.... If Wuhan, Singapore, Bangalore, Hyderabad, etc. screw up, they just give it to the Americans.... Americans will lie and deceive and SELL OUR JUNK! They sure took the virus and ran with it !!!

There you go NETGEAR....a raving review!! Put that in your port and corrupt it !!!

Message 96 of 197
cotonymopar
Guide

Same issue, they opened a ticket, and had to pay to replace before I sent the old one back, as I work from home. got the new one with the prior version, had already downloaded the 64 version for proof of trying, and updated it, still not the fastest, and I am also monitoring the connections, but better than the 50 version. I am hoping that there will be an update that will solve why I have multiple iphones connected to this device, when we have 2 known in the how. (shows 6)   

Message 97 of 197
BobStevenson
Apprentice

EXACTLY!!!! Mine had 2 devices attached that I have no idea about with ACCESS CONTROL ON and DO NOT ALLOW NEW DEVICES TO CONNECT! Neighbors? Some a-hole in China? The FBI? WHO KNOWS!! AND when re-naming devices once you figure out what they are is a joke too! I had devices that CHANGED THEIR NAME BACK TO THE DEFAULT...."Goofball's iPhone" magically goes back to "DEV:23:34:45".

ADDITIONALLY, it does not seem to have the technology to handle the NEW way that devices dynamically change their MAC address to be more secure in public. Phones do that now! Only way their Access Control works properly is by defeating the dynamic MAC address feature in the phone and defeating the purpose it was designed for just so you can connect to your NETGEAR BOAT-ANCHOR!. Netgear is WAY behind in design and SUPPORT!!!

And then you have some a-h0le that marks the thread as solved....more than likely a NETGEAR cronie!!

YES! I DESPISE NETGEAR AND THE WAY THEY HAVE FLEECED THE AMERICAN PUBLIC while they sit there with their fingers, or whatever, in their ears! Terrible company!!

Message 98 of 197

Speaking of this boat anchor/mini drone/ whatever you want to call this POS, I also have the same issue with the dynamic addresses. It has my iPhone listed on there twice and my wife’s as well. It has hers listed as the Ethernet direct connect which should be my Xbox and LG TV. What a damn joke. What router do you recommend to replace this miniature star ship? It’s also so obnoxiously huge and where I have to put it, I’ve stubbed my toe on it a few times.
Message 99 of 197
BobStevenson
Apprentice

To be honest, I went back to my linksys wrt3200acm flashed with dd-wrt firmware. It has two partitions, so you can keep the original firmware on one partition and flash the other with whatever you want. Simple commands, well documented, to manipulate partitions any way YOU want unencumbered by the firmware nazis.
Message 100 of 197
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7