Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000p gigabit internet speeds below 100mbps

Joshdm23
Follower

R8000p gigabit internet speeds below 100mbps

Ok guys I am completely lost at this point. I have a Nighthawk R8000P. My ISP is COX and I recently upgraded from 300 Mbps to 1gbps and believe it or not my speeds have gone DOWN. Before the update I was consistantly getting around 175mbps and now I am only getting around 80mbps. I called the ISP and they assured me that I should be getting at least 800 download and 33 upload. That is not the case. When I plugged my wife's laptop directly into the modem it was right at 1gbps but none of my devices are receiving more than 100 on wireless... Until I tested the speeds on our phones. Somehow, all of our iPhones are locked in at 800 Mbps download and 35 upload. This has to be something with my router right?

Just so y'all know, I have reset my router multiple times, downgraded multiple firmware versions, re-updated my firmware to the current version, changed wifi channels, factory reset, and that's pretty much everything I can think of. I have no clue why mobile devices work fine but everything else doesn't. I can't even play online games anymore and I refuse to pay Netgear for their gearhead services. I wasn't planning on upgrading to a wifi 6 router just yet but after my experience with Netgear technical support I'm willing to do anything at this point. Please let me know if any of you have run into this or have any clue what is happening.

PS My modem is a docsis 3.1 modem. Sorry in advance if I sound like a noob but I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject. If you tell me what to do I can figure it out but I've about exhausted everything at this point.

Thanks in advance.
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: R8000p gigabit internet speeds below 100mbps

1. What actual modem do you have? 

2. what firmware are you on (an actual number)?
3. The speedtest you did on your phone? it was done through the netgear app so its tests directly off the router, not off your phone. Your phones will not hit 800mbps over wireless. They'll be lucky to hit 300-400mbps if they're close to the router, on 5ghz,  and everythings working perfectly. 

4. You need to make sure to test speeds hardwired into the router. Not wireless. wireless is subject to interference. And wireless AC will not hit gig speeds.

5. 2.4ghz will be lucky to hit 100mbps. it is much much slower than 5ghz. So if your testing wireless, be on the 5ghz. 

6. if you're using smart connect, the router bandsteers between bands. meaning you can end up on the 2.4ghz sometimes. again, its slower and more sensitive to interference. 

7. After your factory reset. Make sure to do a clean install (not from backup) and make sure to leave qos, traffic monitoring, access control, and parental contrls all disabled. Again, don't use a backup. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7