Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8500 Instability

ificator
Aspirant

R8500 Instability

I'm seeing a few different issues that are making the X8500 the most unstable router I've ever owner. In no particular order:

1. The 2.4 GHz channel disappears - I need to unplug the router from the power for a bit to make it work again

2. Sometimes ALL channels and LAN stop working - I need to unplug the router from the power for a bit to make it work again

3. The 2.4GHz can suddenly start being really slow - A simple reboot through the web ui resolves this

To be honest each and every one is enough for me to return this to Amazon, but since I have a 30 day window I figure I'll spend a week tinkering just in case.

On that note, here's a couple of observations in case they're of use:

1. I can reliably get the 2.4GHz channel to disappear after streaming Netflix on the Vizio TV we have in the kitchen. About 5 minutes in it's almost guaranteed to kill the channel.

2. When the channel dies the system gets confused and uses the 2.4GHz configuration on the 5-1 channel, and the 5-1 configuration on the 5-2 channel. As it turns out, this is exactly what the Asus RT-AC5300 I returned does! This observation alone leads me to the conclusion that this is an inherant issue Broadcom chipset that powers both...

So I guess my overall question is: has anyone encountered these issues and successfully resolved them? I've seen numerous threads that seem to echo my issue (at least the disappearing 2.4GHz one), but none seem to have a satisfactory answer (and the fact that some are over a year old doesn't bode well).

The only potential saving grace appears to be a report that DD-WRT improves things - has anyone confirmed this?

Thanks!

Edit:

The router updated to the latest firmware during the OOBE, so I'm already running V1.0.2.80_1.0.71

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
ificator
Aspirant

Re: R8500 Instability

I returned the router to Amazon and got an R7800 instead - it has a Qualcomm chipset instead of the Broadcomm BCM4366 and has thus far been rock solid since I first turned it on. Night and day difference.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13

All Replies

Previous FW was better and more stable!

Message 2 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ificator Sounds like you have a hardware problem. Get it replaced. 

Message 3 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm on my 2nd r8500 in 3 weeks.

Return for full refund while you still can.

It's FW which one would think a year would be enough time to work out the bugs.

Message 4 of 13

2 units in 3 weeks really bad luck!!

Message 5 of 13
ificator
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I've made a couple of changes that, at least for the time being, seemed to have helped.

1. I disabled WMM on the 2.4GHz channel, and thus far running the TV hasn't killed the channel... time will tell

2. I disabled the traffic meter and it brought a LOT of stability to the channel (the latency between the client and the router doesn't vary between 15ms to 1500ms anymore - it's actually pretty solid).

I'll let it go for a few days to see if anything *actually* changed or whether I'm just seeing coincidence :).

Message 6 of 13
ificator
Aspirant

Annnd it's back to being crap. The 2.4GHz channel has ridiculous packet loss, and I'm lucky to get ~2Mbps (both 5GHz channel get 50Mbps just fine). Nothing changed with the configuration since it was working "well", and there's not any change in neighbour channel usage. If the 2.4GHz channel doesn't work reliably this router is of no use to me.

Has any one tried an open source firmware alternative like DD-WRT? It seems like that would be my only hope.

Message 7 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ificator Kindly contact support. 

Message 8 of 13
ificator
Aspirant

I returned the router to Amazon and got an R7800 instead - it has a Qualcomm chipset instead of the Broadcomm BCM4366 and has thus far been rock solid since I first turned it on. Night and day difference.

Message 9 of 13
jebminnesota
Aspirant

Having the same problems.

I purchase this router back in July and have no trouble until last month. 2.4 works and then it doesnt and the guest network does not show up.

Message 10 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jebminnesota Have you contacted support? 

Message 11 of 13
jebminnesota
Aspirant

Yes,

They sent me a new one.

We will see if this one works

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 12 of 13
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired