Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8500 drops connection

z06gal
Aspirant

R8500 drops connection

I have had something occur twice and don't know what to make of it.  Everything is working perfectly and last night, suddenly, I lost connection on both wifi and ethernet.  I thought my internet was down but I connected directly to the modem and found the internet to be fine.  I rebooted everything and that didn't work.  I then did the reset to which I couldn't get my computer to see the router.  I pulled the plug and reconnected and got the same thing so I removed all connections and unplugged the power cord.  I was going to call to see about replacing it since I have only had it 6 weeks but decided after about 30 minutes to power it up and see what happens.  Well, my computer saw it and since I had reset it, I had to set it up again as new.  It seems to be working now except I cannot get it to see my external hard drive.  I was using it for my Readyshare account but it still doesn't see it.  I reformatted just to make sure and that did nothing.  The hard drive is new so I know it is okay.  It has the beta firmware installed and that was working fine before.  I have had routers drop signals before but never the ethernet ports too.  Other than those 2 specific events, I have not had any problem.  Has anyone had anything similar?  Thanks 

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
z06gal
Aspirant

Re: R8500 drops connection

I ended up resetting it and now it recognizes the Readyshare drives 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @z06gal When you connect your external HD to your computer, it works? Have you tried different cable?
Have you tried both USB ports?

Do you have USB light on the R8500?

Message 2 of 8
z06gal
Aspirant

Yes my computer sees the external hard drives perfectly. I had 2 Readyshare hard drives I used without issue but it does not see them since the reset. I have tried both ports and separate cables but it still doesn't see them. 

Message 3 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is the USB light on the router on?

How do you check if it's recognize or not?

What's the current firmware version installed on your router?

You may want to reflash the firmware of the router then do another reset.

Message 4 of 8
z06gal
Aspirant

No the light is not on and all I have to do is check the USB Readyshare section and there is now nothing there. I have 2 Readyshare drives that worked perfectly before this last episode. 

Message 5 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you had any power interruption?

It might be the culprit.

As of this time, the only thing that you could try is to reset and see if it will get it recognized.

If not, replace the unit. The USB light should be lit once you have connected the external hard drives.

Message 6 of 8
z06gal
Aspirant

I ended up resetting it and now it recognizes the Readyshare drives 

Message 7 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for that update!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors