Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R9000 qos settings are missing.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Guys, I have confirmed from our engineering team that resetting the unit is not mandatory after firmware upgrade. 

For users who would encounter any issues, it is suggested that you reset the unit and reconfigure it from scratch.

The post has been updated as well.

Thank you!

Message 51 of 88

Stable so far..

Message 52 of 88
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@brandoncbarker Thank you for that update. 

Message 53 of 88
CyberTri
Apprentice

Thanks so much for this post!! I was going to buy an x10 and now as an engineer that works from home, since I need to directly control QOS on each connected device (like on my x6), I will not be buying the x10. I will also be sure to spread the word that even in the beta firmware it is only dynamic QOS. For $500? I don't think so. I do very much like my x6, so when full QOS control is given to the x10 flagship model (lol) I will consider purchasing one.
Message 54 of 88
CyberTri
Apprentice

Also, having the ability to do at least 4 or 5 vlan tags, and some real LAN firewall rules should be a given on these units. I don't see why there are not some simple IP and port permit/deny options. Wouldn't that make the device fierce competition to the industry outside of pure home consumers?

I mean ...my cheap Cisco ASA 505 is great for vlans and fw rules.
Message 55 of 88
JamesGL
Master

Hi CyberTi,

You can check the new firmware for the device that supports Dynamic QoS.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-Beta-Firmware-1-0-2-18/td-p/1249132

Message 56 of 88
schumaku
Guru

@JamesGL wrote:

You can check the new firmware for the device that supports Dynamic QoS.

It allows to define the Device Priority with the attached device list. Perfectly sufficient for most applications in my opinion.

For now, this seems to be limited to the Web UI, this control is not available in the Genie App for macOS, Windows, Android, ..

R9000 1.0.2.18 QoS Priority in Web UI only.PNG

Message 57 of 88
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hey all, we have updated the QoS Database. 

Release date is on April 12, 2017. 
Feel free to provide your feedback. 

Message 58 of 88
pdeering100
Tutor

Just bought the R9000 and could not find QoS.

Did the firmware update and still not there.

What is the status on release?

Thank you,

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 59 of 88
schumaku
Guru

@ElaineM wrote:

Hey all, we have updated the QoS Database. 

Release date is on April 12, 2017. 

Hi @ElaineM,

Is 12 April the day it became available, or is this supposed to be the release date? Asking, because my R9000 does show this:

Current Performance Optimization Database on Router
    Version: netgear-detection-db-v1.3
    Release Date: Mar 22 2017

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 60 of 88
schumaku
Guru

@pdeering100 wrote:

Just bought the R9000 and could not find QoS.

Did the firmware update and still not there.

What is the status on release?

Whatever you have installed, crystal ball is on a holiday with grand aunt in Transylvania in the land of Dracula these days. Of course I have an idea ... the official download is still stuck on 1.0.1.18 8-/

We're menawhile talking here of a Beta 1.0.2.18 listed here in the forum sticky topics -> https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-Beta-Firmware-1-0-2-18/m-p/1249132#U12... ... the official release is delayed due to some kind of reliability issues (and a long list of open issues...).

Regards

-Kurt

Message 61 of 88
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@schumaku It's the release date. Are you still getting March on your unit?

If updating didn't work, try to disable the QoS and then recheck it. 

Message 62 of 88
schumaku
Guru

Hm, @ElaineM ... same version, different date ... is it possible this version came built-in with a test-build I've received from Tw? Regardless, sorry, this stinks.

Message 63 of 88
Lexist2112
Luminary

Elaine, when is Netgear going to "officially" release the new firmware???

Message 64 of 88
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@schumaku You have tried updating it again, correct? 

Message 65 of 88
Loudog2
Apprentice

No new firmware here either. Still waiting for QOS settings.

Message 66 of 88
schumaku
Guru

@Loudog2 wrote:

No new firmware here either. Still waiting for QOS settings.

...a few posts above JamesGL form Netgear has provided the link to the Beta, so reading the thread might help.

Message 67 of 88
pdeering100
Tutor

I needed to upgrade my router after upgrading my ISP speeds.

I bought R8000 - got it to work really well after updating QoS.

Someone said, "yes, but you are missing Mu-MIMO".

Figured what the heck, returned the R8000 and bought R9000.

The R9000 was missing the QoS, the install program bombed continually, the firmware wouldn't update, etc.

I had thought the R9000 would have produced a stronger, more reliable signal than the R8000 but it did not.  It also made me uncomfortable that the QoS issue had been know since December last year but was still not fixed.

Not being a tech and not interested in becoming one, I returned the R9000 to the store and thought "So I want MU-MIMO, the R8500 has great reviews, so let's get that one".

The R8500 installed better but the within an hour went into some kind of hardware failure where it started turning off and turning on by itself about 15 times before I unplugged it to put it out of its misery (with lots of intervening intervention on my part).  It also did not produce the same coverage that I had achieved with the R8000 in the first place. Returned the R8500 and went back to the R8000.

Everything is good and back to normal.  I will wait for the MU-MIMO tech to catch up in the next couple years before trying to make the switch.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 68 of 88
FURRYe38
Guru

There is a beta for the R9000 what supposed to have QoS features in the UI now. Did you try this version? 

@pdeering100 wrote:

I needed to upgrade my router after upgrading my ISP speeds.

I bought R8000 - got it to work really well after updating QoS.

Someone said, "yes, but you are missing Mu-MIMO".

Figured what the heck, returned the R8000 and bought R9000.

The R9000 was missing the QoS, the install program bombed continually, the firmware wouldn't update, etc.

I had thought the R9000 would have produced a stronger, more reliable signal than the R8000 but it did not.  It also made me uncomfortable that the QoS issue had been know since December last year but was still not fixed.

Not being a tech and not interested in becoming one, I returned the R9000 to the store and thought "So I want MU-MIMO, the R8500 has great reviews, so let's get that one".

The R8500 installed better but the within an hour went into some kind of hardware failure where it started turning off and turning on by itself about 15 times before I unplugged it to put it out of its misery (with lots of intervening intervention on my part).  It also did not produce the same coverage that I had achieved with the R8000 in the first place. Returned the R8500 and went back to the R8000.

Everything is good and back to normal.  I will wait for the MU-MIMO tech to catch up in the next couple years before trying to make the switch.

Message 69 of 88
Redtulips7
Luminary

NG Engineers are sleeping for sure!!! That's over four months and no fix yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very sad, very disappointed..........

Message 70 of 88
schumaku
Guru

@Redtulips7 wrote:

NG Engineers are sleeping for sure!!! That's over four months and no fix yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very sad, very disappointed..........

... a few posts above JamesGL form Netgear has provided the link to the Beta, so reading the thread might help.

Message 71 of 88
Redtulips7
Luminary

@schumaku wrote:

@Redtulips7 wrote:

... a few posts above JamesGL form Netgear has provided the link to the Beta, so reading the thread might help.

Pls Beta, big deal, broken promise...........

Message 72 of 88
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Supposedly firmware version 1.0.2.30 have the QoS but it needed some tweaking and it was pushed until next firmware release. 

The firmware will be released very soon together with the latest QoS database update. 

Message 73 of 88
Redtulips7
Luminary

Yes it will be release without fixing any of the problem.
Message 74 of 88
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello All, we just released the firmware for R9000 with Dynamic QoS. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000038782/R9000-Firmware-Version-1-0-2-32

Message 75 of 88
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7