clithes
Prodigy

Re: R9000 qos settings are missing.

It is currently being tested, and all being well should be released fairly soon

Message 26 of 88
Sewer_McDongle
Aspirant

Any updates? Guess i will just return it. There are no AD supported devices anyway except a laptop that cant touch the specs on my current one anyways.
Message 27 of 88
clithes
Prodigy

Hi,

it's still being tested atm

Regards

Message 28 of 88
foxes
Aspirant

anu updates / eta
Message 29 of 88
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Nothing yet and no ETA.

Message 30 of 88
Sewer_McDongle
Aspirant

So why were we lied to previously saying it was coming out for the last firmware but never came out. Now there is nothing and no clue. I feel this was a ploy to stop the router getting returned back to the store.

Also funny the post keeps getting moved to different topic categories so it wont show up on search engines. Until someone responds again.
Message 31 of 88
clithes
Prodigy

The firmware is still being tested, but unfortunately no ETA at the moment
Message 32 of 88
foxes
Aspirant

any updates?

Message 33 of 88
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

They're still working on it. 

Message 34 of 88

Any word on this?

Thanks

Message 35 of 88
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I'm hearing that we might have a beta coming out soon that have the QoS, Plex and some other few fixes. 

Message 36 of 88
Lexist2112
Luminary

waiting patiently

Message 37 of 88
Swampassjr
Aspirant

I went from the X8 to the X10 tonight. I can't believe this top of the line router doesn't have QOS. Seems like one of the most important features of a router and the king of the Netgear routers doesn't even support it?

Message 38 of 88
danglfrd
Aspirant

Elaine(or Netgear moderator)

This router was 500 dollars.  Is it true that this issue is still not fixed?  I just connected a new Nighthawk X10 R9000 router expecting to setup QoS for obvious reasons and the options are not available via the genie UI?  Please tell me that I am just missing this.  What should I do?  Firmware v1.0.1.36.  Seems like the indviduals that started this thread were having this issue in December.  It is now March.  Please advise.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 39 of 88
danglfrd
Aspirant

I assume my rebate is coming in the mail for this?

Message 40 of 88
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 41 of 88
foxes
Aspirant

Thank you so much Elaine! ^_^

Message 42 of 88
lilstone87
Apprentice

ElaineM,

I noticed in the beta build you posted today, it mentions a new wifi driver. With that, and QoS included in this build. It might be smart to edit that post, and mention doing a factory reset of the router after flashing this build, and a manual reconfigure of the router. As it's smart to flush everything in cases like this, as it keeps some weird issues down, that cause problems. Over the years, I have seen many of issue's pop up after a firmware upgrade, and a factory reset resolving it. 

I make it a habit to do a factory reset whenever a newer build has big changes included. Adding QoS, and a newer wifi driver, I consider that a big change. So just a word of advice to anyone flashing this build. Do yourself a favor, and factory reset after flashing the build. Save yourself from weird problems. That's not to say this beta build can't have other issues though.. It's a BETA build after all.

Message 43 of 88
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@lilstone87 Thank you for that. I have updated it. 

Message 44 of 88
lilstone87
Apprentice

@ElaineM You're welcome 🙂 I flashed this build myself a little bit ago, and will see how things do over the weekend. Will report back if I run into any issues. I was a beta tester for the R9000, and so I tested many beta build's with the router already. But as you probably know recently they closed the beta program for this router, this is first build I have tested in last couple months on the router. I do hope for the QoS to improve, as this isn't my first time using it 🙂

Message 45 of 88
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That's great! I hope I'll hear a positive feedback from your test. 

Message 46 of 88
schumaku
Guru

@ElaineM Among many new updates and fixes (great!), this v1.0.2.18 Beta has returned the "black magic" Dynamic QoS driven by a detection database v1.6 from more than a year ago. So it's a "believe" in back magic for now - users have no way to see what QoS rules are applied or if their preferred application or game is covered.

The other part - the R9000 is more and more an App platform, being for Amazon Drive, being for Plex. This alone should deny the (silly, sorry) requirement to factory reset it following each and every update - simply to much time and effort involved to get everything reconfigured again. When simulating a Internet connection with some basic DSL profile (with asymmetric slow uplink), the router does still not reserve the QoS for basic things like DNS queries, so a running backup to the Amazon infrastructure or one or two video streams to mobile devices can easily eat up all uplink capabilities. I feel the "Dynamic QoS" does not cover the App on the router at all.  

The thing is that some newer Nighthawk models no longer have the manual QoS controls at all ... even if the related default entries still exist in the nvram default config.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 47 of 88
netwrks
Master

@schumaku wrote:

@ElaineM Among many new updates and fixes (great!), this v1.0.2.18 Beta has returned the "black magic" Dynamic QoS driven by a detection database v1.6 from more than a year ago. So it's a "believe" in back magic for now - users have no way to see what QoS rules are applied or if their preferred application or game is covered.

The other part - the R9000 is more and more an App platform, being for Amazon Drive, being for Plex. This alone should deny the (silly, sorry) requirement to factory reset it following each and every update - simply to much time and effort involved to get everything reconfigured again. When simulating a Internet connection with some basic DSL profile (with asymmetric slow uplink), the router does still not reserve the QoS for basic things like DNS queries, so a running backup to the Amazon infrastructure or one or two video streams to mobile devices can easily eat up all uplink capabilities. I feel the "Dynamic QoS" does not cover the App on the router at all.  

The thing is that some newer Nighthawk models no longer have the manual QoS controls at all ... even if the related default entries still exist in the nvram default config.

Regards,

-Kurt

When there are new drivers involved, like for wifi, reset to factory default. That's the way these routers are, including the competitors. If you want something more robust. move out of the home networking market.

Message 48 of 88
schumaku
Guru

@netwrks wrote:

When there are new drivers involved, like for wifi, reset to factory default. That's the way these routers are, including the competitors. If you want something more robust. move out of the home networking market.

We're talking of a US$ 499 list router.

I'm Alpha- and Beta-testing, using, promoting, deploying, and supporting consumer class CPE starting from smart modems since 1992, ISDN modems, ISDN dial-up routers, and DSL routers since the first generation, have specified leading edge commercial firewall systems and management interfaces for multiple vendors ... and commercially operating high availability true customer systems (the only one real cluster ever).  

In all these years I've nowhere seen this Mantra like repetition of requesting a factory reset with each firmware update we see here repeated by support, community moderators, tech writers on the support- and KB-site and blindly repeated my community members "supporting" mostly inexperienced home users.

We're in the year 2017 - this is not accepted anymore, except as an emergency last resort solution.

Regards,

-Kurt

PS. Beyond, the Netgear genie based routers still have no manageable firewall rules for Interne/WAN -> LAN. What a joke!

Message 49 of 88
Lexist2112
Luminary

ANyone tested the Beta??? How stable is it???

Message 50 of 88
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7