Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: READYSHARE options keeps giving blank pages, can't change add folders.

jedensuscg
Tutor

READYSHARE options keeps giving blank pages, can't change add folders.

So i decided to plug in my WD My Password Ultra (1TB version) into my router to use it as a media drive.  All went well at first. I loaded up the drive in the USB settings, restarted the router and was able to initially create three folder no problem.  When I tried to create a fourth folder, that is when things whent crazy.

Now DESPITE restarting the modem, remove the USB drive completely and reinstalling (through saftely remove USB drive option...when I can get to it(more on that).

One or more of several things happen.  First, when I click Basic settings under READYSHARE, it shows the three options at the top (Basis, REadyShare cloud, etc) but DOES NOT show the EDIT button about 90% of the time.  WHen I go to ADVANCED settings, it will saying Please wait blah, and most of the time it will just load to a blank gray screen. I can click reload frame(chrome) or refresh(explorer) and it MIGHT load up the advanced setting page. When it FINALLY DOES load, if I click CREATE FOLDER, the popup window will appear but the main window again loads to a blank gray screen, and the pop up window gets stuck on loading. I can again refresh the popup to sometimes get the CREATE FOLDER options to appear, I do this, and when I hit apply, it will either freeze and do nothing, or it will pretend to close the popup, but when I finally get the advanced settings page to load again (using previous steps) no new folder was created. It is just a vicous cycle.

I removed the drive completely, and the problem persists, but this time, I can't even get the first three folders created. It's like it just broke and refuses to work.

WHen I do remove the USB drive, then I can navigate the READYSHARE options normally, no loading hicupps, nothing.  So it is related to having a USB drive enabled and set, but it's only a 1TB drive, with only about 400MB of data on it.

Also important I CAN ACCESS the files on my computer, Xbox One, whatever. The drive shows up everywhere I want it too, and the few olders I created before it bugged out even worked correctly (password protection etc) so I can in theory use my drive wholesale without any folders, but that defeats the purpose for me.

I tried USB port 2, it looked promising, everything loaded up normally, but as soon as I try to create a specific folder (maybe a file in that folder causing issues?) it freezes on the popup when I click Apply and sits there doing nothing. I can close the window, and when I attempt to try again this is when it starts the whole process over again.

Firmware V1.0.2.12 (most recent)

Windows 10 laptop

EDIT

I went back to USB port 1, hoping that maybe since USB port 2 worked until I tred to create a specific folder, USB port 1 might have cleared it self.  NOPE. it's still FUBAR, as is USB port 2. it's like I just bricked my router.  Can't even create one single folder outside of the default entire drive folder, which means either everything is locked(and can't use it as a media server on xbox or away from home without unlocking it every time) or I have to leaveit wide open.

Also reupdated firmware. USB READYSHARE is still borked.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi jedensuscg,

What is the file format of the drive? Can you try to reformat it and use NTFS.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
jedensuscg
Tutor

EDIT

I went back to USB port 1, hoping that maybe since USB port 2 worked until I tred to create a specific folder, USB port 1 might have cleared it self.  NOPE. it's still FUBAR, as is USB port 2. it's like I just bricked my router.  Can't even create one single folder outside of the default entire drive folder, which means either everything is locked(and can't use it as a media server on xbox or away from home without unlocking it every time) or I have to leaveit wide open.

Message 2 of 16
jedensuscg
Tutor

Sorry for the additional posts, the timer to edit posts here is pretty short.

Here are some images to help explain it.

And note that this happens in Microsft EDGE and Internet Explorer 11 EXACTLY the same way. And yes popup blockers are disabled.

EDIT**** SO i plugged in a small 3GB thumb drive....BAM same thing. Router go haywire as soon as it recongnizes a USB drive is plugged in. Gonna have to factory reset router cause im all out of ideas.

EDIT 2****** Factory reset modem. It fixed the problem initially, but I tried to create a new folder again, this time a far smaller one, but still inside the original folder I was trying to create before. If got all the way to the screen where I click Create Folder again, this time the popup loaded to a blank screen, the Advanced Settings screen refreshed but does not show the new folder, and now I am stuck in the same loop again. I give up.

This is what happens 60% of the time I open Advanced Settings.  I can relod the frame over and over to get the settings to load.

advanced2.PNG

90% of the time this is what basic settings loads to. Notice it's missing ALL of the actual information (like what drives i have etc, and the EDIT button)  I can keep hitting Basic Settings on the left over and over to get the actual settings to load.

basic2.PNG

And the follow images are what it looks like when I try to create a folder after finally getting the advanced settings screen to show.  Notice that everytime I open a new window, the parent window loads to nothing.  When I finally get to the end (if im lucky at the popup windows load as well) clicking the create button after I select the folder and name it, does nothing.

create1.PNGcreate2.PNG

Message 3 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi jedensuscg,

1. Try using a different web browser. 

2. Use a different USB drive if you have one.

3. Reload a different firmware and check if the same problem.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 4 of 16
jedensuscg
Tutor

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I did try a different USB flash drive (explained above as well) and same thing. Also tried Edge, ie 11 and chrome and two different computers, and both wireless and plugged into via cat5.

Haven't tried rolling back firmware yet.
Message 5 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi jedensuscg,

Try rolling back to previous firmware and see if the same problem.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 6 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi jedensuscg,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 7 of 16
TomaszW
Guide

Hi Guys,

So I bought new a shiny X4S for 200 eur hoping that the nice spec will go in line with software.

However Netgear seems to be worse or same as Tp-link in terms of software...

I have few issues/observations so far

1. No matter what usb (3x different HDD, 6x USB drive) i plug in, I cannot create any folders and it is not visible by the router. I tried plugging when off, on, rebooting, etc. Nothing works

2. List of attached devices is so not user frendly. (Netgear please look at Asus fw and learn)

3. QoS - No possibility to set individual bandwith for devices

4. QoS basically not working. I set highest priority to my gaming PC and low to everything else and still when syncing photos on another office PC to Gdrive i couldn't play online game cause of the latency (high ping)

5. Slow interface. Any selection of menu items takes 5-10 seconds

I hope that Netgear is interested in selling quality products and not just great hardware with useless software....

I know it sounds a bit bitter but coming from Asus I got used to certain standards.

I may saound a bit unhappy but at this price level I am expecting top of class SW/FW

Message 8 of 16
BKAmputee
Aspirant

I am also now getting a blank page on Advanced/Readyshare/Advanced Settings on my X4S. Was working fine until I added a new path to a large music folder, naming the new network folder "Rick's Music"

Now when I click on Advanced/Readyshare/Advanced Settings it says "Please wait a moment..." and the wheel spins for a while, then blank page. I did find if you click some combination of Media Server, Basic Settings, Advanced Settings, sometimes you can get the Advanced Settings page to load. It is kind of random how to get the page to load. I think if you click Media Server then click Advanced Settings quickly before that page loads gets you in. Then, if I hit the + button to create a new network folder I get the blank screen again.

A text screen popped up at some point with a link www.routerlogin.net/USB_Folder_creat.htm, not sure what that is about. I did try both chrome and IE 11 browsers, on two different devices, both behave about the same way.

I can still access the disk from other devices using the existing share name \\readyshare\external_disk, The new network folder I tried to create does not show up at all on the network.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Any suggestions how to fix this?

Image of text window which pops up, of you click on the "i" a message says "your connection to this site is not secure"

Capture.JPG

Message 9 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi BKAmputee,

1. What is the firmware version of the router? Make sure it is on the latest one.

2. Try to reset it and manually reconfigure.

Message 10 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi BKAmputee,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 11 of 16
BKAmputee
Aspirant

Router Firmware Version
V1.0.2.20

I reset the router and configured. Then I duplicated the exact same steps as before to set up the network folder, and the same thing happened again.

I have ordered another network storage device because I cannot effecively use the X4S storage for some reason. Hopefully a new firmware will be released soon to fix the Readyshare issue.

Thanks

Message 12 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@BKAmputee wrote:

I am also now getting a blank page on Advanced/Readyshare/Advanced Settings on my X4S. Was working fine until I added a new path to a large music folder, naming the new network folder "Rick's Music"

Now when I click on Advanced/Readyshare/Advanced Settings it says "Please wait a moment..." and the wheel spins for a while, then blank page.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Yes, of course 8-) On one hand, the problem is in the choce of an "unlucky" shared folder name, on the other hand by insufficient input checking by the router Genie UI and poor handling of the input and/or errors occuring during the process of adding the shared folder to the router SAMBA configuration. Characters like ' + = / \ : | * ? < > ; [ ] % ~ (just to mention a few coming into my mind),  or multiple consecutive white spaces can't be used.

@BKAmputee wrote:

Any suggestions how to fix this?

Avoid these chars. These limitations are not specific to the Nighthawk SAMBA implementation - just the poor input and error handling is for now.

@BKAmputee wrote:

Image of text window which pops up, of you click on the "i" a message says "your connection to this site is not secure"

Capture.JPG

Nothing Nighthawk router specific - Google has added this (i)nformation a while ago, and enabled on current Chrome builds since about 1 February 2017. Clikcing on it would bring up some information by the way 8-) FMI: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95617 ... this information should becom part of the product FAQ in my opinion.

Many consumer grade product makers would do good going towards default https support, and introduce some basic Web server certificae management.

Regards,

-Kurt.

Message 13 of 16
jedensuscg
Tutor

So an update:

I pretty much ignored my router for the last several months because I spent so much time trying to figure out this problem I just quit.

I tried it again today, after downloading the most current firmware, and STILL happening.  Also, none of my folders have any special characters.

I did try this: I deleted all of the folders I created (and this took me 45 minutes because 90% of the time I just got a blank screen after hitting delete, the other 10% of the time it worked..I only had two folders)  I then "safely removed drive".  With this does I could browes the readyshare settings no problem (of course with out the drive showing). I disconnected and reconnected the drive to try and see if it would work and of course first time I try and open up either Basic or Advanced settings...blank, nothng, no settings to change.

I would really like to use my passport as a NAS but I guess it is just not meant to be.

Message 14 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi jedensuscg,

What is the file format of the drive? Can you try to reformat it and use NTFS.

Message 15 of 16
JamesGL
Master

Hi jedensuscg,

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7