Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Random Loss of Internet

Superannuated
Aspirant

Random Loss of Internet

I have an #R8500 that's worked fine for several years.  Suddenly it's apparently losing the Internet connection.  The WiFi light (rightmost) on the router is on, but the other two are off when in normal operation all three are on.  If I unplug, wait, and plug it in again it restores the Internet.  I use this for smarthome control while away and I can't keep losing the connection when I'm not around to unplug/plug the router.  Any ideas besides getting a new one (of another brand?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Random Loss of Internet

What other LEDS are off? Power or Internet? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Superannuated wrote:

I have an #R8500 that's worked fine for several years.  Suddenly it's apparently losing the Internet connection.  The WiFi light (rightmost) on the router is on, but the other two are off when in normal operation all three are on.  If I unplug, wait, and plug it in again it restores the Internet.  I use this for smarthome control while away and I can't keep losing the connection when I'm not around to unplug/plug the router.  Any ideas besides getting a new one (of another brand?

Message 3 of 7
Superannuated
Aspirant

What I've tried (and what I'm waiting to see if it helped) is to re-nenable the router getting the DNS address from the ISP.  I was using a static DNS address.  I'm wondering if that had some impact because I'd changed the setting a couple months ago.  So far, since I've gone back to using the ISP DNS (and setting my preferred DNS on my computer) it's not failed.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Possible odd problem with the static DNS you had been using before. 

Message 5 of 7
Superannuated
Aspirant

Not likely; that's the DNS I've had set in my computer settings all along.  I wonder if it has something to do with how a lease is renewed on the ISP.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Anything is possible. Go with what works. 

Enjoy. 😉

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7