Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7960P firmware not upgrading

I am with you 100% and won't buy another Netgear modem/router after this... but is your router still working? Mine still provides strong internet access so takes some of the sting away.

What exactly did the firmware upgrade do?  

Message 26 of 44
J357
Initiate

Firmware upgrades do not work at all, manual or automatic (web based) updates.

Same problem as others. I follow the Netgear instructions exactly:Download file, start the update, it runs through the process, reboots, then lists the same old version as before. I have tried this 5 times with different legacy firmware versions with no change.

Statistics:

Model R7960P (Costco version which is not listed in model dropdown).

Old firmware: V1.4.1.44_1.3.5

Attempted new firmware: V1.4.1.82_1.3.40 hotfix

Maybe it really does update but they forgot to update the version number in the header so it always reports being out of date. In any case, very amateurish for a supposed technology company. As others have said, there is no real support.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this, 

Disconnect the router from the ISP modem and alll other devices accept 1 wired PC with the FW file. 

Using FireFox or MS Edge, Factory reset the router (Besure to clear browser caches as this point) and setup from scratch and skip the setup wizard. Manual configure. 

After your at the home page, avoid any Armor or Circle popups. 

Go directly in and send the FW udpate file...

@J357 wrote:

Firmware upgrades do not work at all, manual or automatic (web based) updates.

Same problem as others. I follow the Netgear instructions exactly:Download file, start the update, it runs through the process, reboots, then lists the same old version as before. I have tried this 5 times with different legacy firmware versions with no change.

Statistics:

Model R7960P (Costco version which is not listed in model dropdown).

Old firmware: V1.4.1.44_1.3.5

Attempted new firmware: V1.4.1.82_1.3.40 hotfix

Maybe it really does update but they forgot to update the version number in the header so it always reports being out of date. In any case, very amateurish for a supposed technology company. As others have said, there is no real support.

Message 28 of 44
JROQ
Aspirant

I am surprised that no one from Netgear or the Community has been able to solve this. At least someone from Netgear should chime in. This issue is big seeing that there are many security vulnerabilities out there that the updates remediate.

My current firmware version is V1.4.1.50_1.3.10 and I cannot upgrade to any of the subsequent versions afterwards. 

I have tried the following:

- Automatic Updates

- Forced check update through the web interface and apply (goes back to the 
- Downloaded each of the 3 updates that have come out since version 1.4.1.50_1.3.10 and applied them manually

I have tried though the "BASIC" tab, I have tried through the "ADVANCED" tab. No dice. It will not take an update. I do not see any place where I can find an error log for the update process.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 29 of 44
JROQ
Aspirant

I just tried this and did not work for me either.

"

Try this, 

Disconnect the router from the ISP modem and alll other devices accept 1 wired PC with the FW file. 

Using FireFox or MS Edge, Factory reset the router (Besure to clear browser caches as this point) and setup from scratch and skip the setup wizard. Manual configure. 

Go directly in and send the FW udpate file..."

Message 30 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact NG support about and let them know what your seeing. 

I was able to update mine, however mines in wireless bridge mode connected to a different router. Something to try and see if this doe anything differently, otherwise, contact NG support. 

@JROQ wrote:

I just tried this and did not work for me either.

"

Try this, 

Go directly in and send the FW udpate file..."

@DarrenM 

Message 31 of 44
dev70000
Guide

have you tried the latest hot fix which was released in July 2021

Message 32 of 44
JROQ
Aspirant

R7960P-V1.4.1.82_1.3.40_hotfix - Yes I did.

I tried manually, 3 different browsers, using th "BASIC" and "ADVANCED" tabs. 
I have also attempted to do it with only 1 computer connected.

This router cannot be updated.

Message 33 of 44
dev70000
Guide

I talked to netgear support and they pre-authorized 50$ support and promised they will only charge once the issue is solved. They tried all the basis/advanced and manual stuff but it didn’t work. Today they will call to perform some update using tftp procedure. Will post the results.
Message 34 of 44
yorugua2001
Initiate

Thanks for keeping us informed, I don't consider myself a newbie even it comes to computers, I have owned computers, routers, etc for more than 20 years and i tried everything even the ftp upload without success, hopefully Netgear can figure something out because i really like the router otherwise
Message 35 of 44
dev70000
Guide

They tried tftp method, it didn’t work either. We weren’t able to put the router in tftp mode itself.
I bought this router from costco. Model is R7960p.

If anyone wants to try tftp method link is below. I Wasted almost 8hours.
Please take a back of all your configs before you start.
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Message 36 of 44
onepiece
Tutor

Was able to flash to latest firmware version using nmrpflash.

image.png

Please take a back of the config before using this utility.
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash
Original solution:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/TFTP-Issues-Bricked-R6700v2/m-p/1974041/high...

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 37 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you noticing any DNS problems after this version is loaded? 

@onepiece wrote:

Was able to flash to latest firmware version using nmrpflash.

image.png

Please take a back of the config before using this utility.
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash
Original solution:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/TFTP-Issues-Bricked-R6700v2/m-p/1974041/high...

Message 38 of 44
onepiece
Tutor

@FURRYe38 Not that I noticed, But what kind of DNS issues are you seeing?

Message 39 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 40 of 44
kmich2001
Tutor

This has been an ongoing issue for over a year. I took my router back to Costco and purchased another model. 

Message 41 of 44
dev70000
Guide

Thanks, I am also able to update using nmrpflash. thanks for the most awaited solution. 

within few minutes i was able to update using nmrpflash. and now it updates using the nighthawk app as well. 

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 42 of 44
TurbodogTodd
Guide

nmrpflash worked for my router that was stuck on R7960P-V1.4.1.50_1.3.10.

Message 43 of 44
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 44 of 44
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 43 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7