Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyShare Print is BROKEN after latest R7900P firmware update

DrJB
Aspirant

ReadyShare Print is BROKEN after latest R7900P firmware update

I've had this router for a couple of years, and I've always used Readyshare as a print server for my entire family. It has broken before, but I could always repair it with a reinstall. Not so now. The latest firmward update has broken the feature--and I would guess Readyshare vault, as well--and it seems irreperable (delete and reinstall, reinstall printers, etc.). The USB Control utility has not been updated for the entire time I have owned the router (remains at v.1.36), and all of my drivers are current. Are others having the same problem, and is Netgear listening?? Has anyone found a solution?

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@DrJB wrote:

I've had this router for a couple of years, and I've always used Readyshare as a print server for my entire family.

Readyshare is a marketing term wrapping various features and applications.

@DrJB wrote:

The latest firmward update has broken the feature ... and it seems irreperable (delete and reinstall, reinstall printers, etc.).

Consider to roll-back the firmware and compare. 

@DrJB wrote:

...  --and I would guess Readyshare vault, as well-- ...

Readyshare Vault was a backup application based on a 3rd party backup application from almost two decades ago, and never pushed forward. It's EoL'ed -> Support for Readyshare Vault ends April 15, 2021 (and hard disabled by a "kill-switch" in the application). the access to the router or the ReadyNAS was done using Readyshare USB access, a simple shared folder access system.

@DrJB wrote:

The USB Control utility has not been updated for the entire time I have owned the router (remains at v.1.36), and all of my drivers are current.

It's a dead simple USB-over-IP implementation creating virtual USB ports. Certain updates (partially major changes) on the WIndows side can require a re-installation. Beyond of this, it's rock solid. It's accessing a dedicated service allowing to "remote" a local USB port on the router side - something broken by the recent updates and/or removed features. Only the gods of Netgear router firmware know.

Message 2 of 5
DrJB
Aspirant

Yes, it WAS rock solid until the latest firmware, though I had to reinstall in numerous times over the past couple of years. And I understand precisely what it is and how it functions. A firmware rollback seems unwise, since this one supposedly addressed major security issues, but thanks for the advice. Who knows, perhaps a backdoor opened by Readyshare Print IS one of the security issues. I'd love to get it to work again, though.

Message 3 of 5

@DrJB wrote:

I've had this router for a couple of years, and I've always used Readyshare as a print server for my entire family. It has broken before, but I could always repair it with a reinstall. Not so now.

What problems do you have?

From reports here, it doesn't seem to be a persistent issue with the R7900P. Other stiff, yes, but not ReadyPRINT.

and I would guess Readyshare vault, as well

That's by design. One of various "Cloud" services that Netgear has withdrawn. Free parental controls is another one.

This is usually flagged up on the release notes for new firmware.

Support for Readyshare Vault ends April 15, 2021 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 5
DrJB
Aspirant

Printers connected to the Nighthawk USB no longer appear in the ReadyShare Print USB control center. In the past, I could fix similar problems with a control center uninstall and reinstall, but not now. The cause is definitely the new R7900P firmware released last week, because nothing else is changed, and it worked just prior to the update. In fact, I cannot gain access to the usb via any other means, either. No parental controls and minimal security on the router. I think this will show up in other posts soon, as this firmware update takes some effort to install (web based auto install does not work). I would guess that another firmware update might be necessary to restore this functionality.
Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7