Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recent firmware for R8500 results in permanent auto channel on 2.4 GHz

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Recent firmware for R8500 results in permanent auto channel on 2.4 GHz

After updating to the last couple of firmware updates, e.g 1.0.2.64, 2.4 GHz band doesn't accept the channel selection like 1, 6, or 11. Instead, a wifi scan will show it transmitting something random like 4 or 7 as though it was in auto-channel mode, in contradiction to the channel it is set at in the settings. A reset to default settings, and manually inputting the new values, doesn't seem to clear this problem.

As a work around, I've been going back to the beta firmware released around Christmas 2015, which has served well.

Any thoughts? Anyone else with the same issue?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Recent firmware for R8500 results in permanent auto channel on 2.4 GHz

Discovered a work around recently I wanted to mention. Turning off 20/40 MHz coexistence in the advanced wireless settings while running the 2.4 GHz band in 433 mbps mode will allow the router to broadcast the appropriate selected channel.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
Mikey94025
Hero

@kintpuash wrote:

After updating to the last couple of firmware updates, e.g 1.0.2.64, 2.4 GHz band doesn't accept the channel selection like 1, 6, or 11. Instead, a wifi scan will show it transmitting something random like 4 or 7 as though it was in auto-channel mode, in contradiction to the channel it is set at in the settings. A reset to default settings, and manually inputting the new values, doesn't seem to clear this problem.

As a work around, I've been going back to the beta firmware released around Christmas 2015, which has served well.

Any thoughts? Anyone else with the same issue?

My R8500 is running V1.0.2.64_1.0.62 and I have my 2.4Ghz set to Channel=11 and Mode=Up to 1000 Mbps.  inSSIDer 3 (latest free version) shows my R8500 transmitting on channel 11 as expected.

You said you reset to default settings -- Was that a full reset (paper clip in reset hole)?  If not, maybe try that.  Others have said you really need to do this to prevent prior firmware context from sticking around.  I've been lazy and at least restoring from a previous backup after full reset (vs. remembering and re-entering all my settings).

Message 2 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I used the 30-30-30 reset procedure with the pin in the back. Did you change your SSID and password from default as well?

Basic procedure went like this:

Install new firmware

30-30-30 reset

Manually change 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radios to new SSID, passcode and channel and submit apply, no other settings changed

Check radio broadcast channel with Netgear app, notice it is off channel

scratch head

revert to older firmware, no problems

Message 3 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

for what it is worth, I dial the 2.4 GHz radio back to 433 mbps setting to avoid the 40 MHz bandwith

Message 4 of 15
Mikey94025
Hero

Sorry, then I don't know what might be causing your 2.4Ghz channel issues.  I didn't do exactly what you described (30-30-30) because I restored from my previous backup after the 2nd reset.  In case it helps, I have these defaults changed for wireless settings:

• Wireless 1 = 2.4Ghz = channel 11, Up to 1000Mbps, WPA2-PSK [AES]
  • Wireless 2 = 5Ghz-1 = channel 44, Up to 2165 Mbps, WPA2-PSK [AES]
  • Wireless 3 = 5Ghz-2 = channel 153, Up to 2165 Mbps, WPA2-PSK [AES]
  • Guest Network = unchecked Enable Guest Network for all 3 wireless radios (don't use my R8500 for guest network)
  • Advanced Wireless Settings
    • checked Enable 20/40Mhz Coexistence for 2.4Ghz
    • unchecked Enable Wireless Router Radio for Wireless 5Ghz-1 (don't use this 5Ghz wireless radio)
    • Implicit Beamforming is checked
    • Airtime Fairness is checked

Message 5 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for the input. Later tonight I'll try the reset before and after upgrading the firmware to see if it helps.

Message 6 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Believe I narrowed it down to what triggers the phenomena.

After doing two resets before and after a firmware update I changed each setting for 2.4 GHz one at a time.

Changed the channel to 6. No problem. Radio reports channel 6.

Changed the SSID and password. No problem.

Change mode from 1000 mbps to 433 mbps. Problem. Radio reports channels such as 4 or 7 instead of 6 in the settings.

Change mode from 433 mbps to 1000 mbps. No problem. Channel 6 reported correctly.

Message 7 of 15
Mikey94025
Hero

@kintpuash wrote:

Believe I narrowed it down to what triggers the phenomena.

Change mode from 1000 mbps to 433 mbps. Problem. Radio reports channels such as 4 or 7 instead of 6 in the settings.

Good find!

Message 8 of 15
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Retired_Member Do you have the NETGEAR Genie installed? Will it show different channel?

Message 9 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ElaineM wrote:

@Retired_Member Do you have the NETGEAR Genie installed? Will it show different channel?

I change the settings through the router interface using routerlogin.net. So in this case 2.4 GHz would be set to channel 6. Several programs used to confirm the router was broadcasting outside the set channel (6) when set to 433 Mbps mode. Wifi Analyzer on Android, Netgear Wifi Analytics on Android, and LinSSID, which is a Linux desktop equivalent.

I don't have the standalone Genie program for Windows.

Message 10 of 15
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Let me inquire this to our engineering department.

Message 11 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ElaineM wrote:

Let me inquire this to our engineering department.

V1.0.2.26_1.0.41 is the last firmware release that doesn't exhibit the behavior on my router. Thanks for looking into it.

Message 12 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/nighthawk-x8-r8500-tri-band-quad-stream-wifi-router.27456/page-11#p...

Another user on smallnetbuilder mentioning the same issue last month.

Message 13 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Discovered a work around recently I wanted to mention. Turning off 20/40 MHz coexistence in the advanced wireless settings while running the 2.4 GHz band in 433 mbps mode will allow the router to broadcast the appropriate selected channel.

Message 14 of 15
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Retired_Member Thank you for that update.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7