Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Repeated connectivity issues, poor performance ,DHCP issues and possible hardware malfunctioning.

RevantVarde
Aspirant

Repeated connectivity issues, poor performance ,DHCP issues and possible hardware malfunctioning.

The details of the router:

Model: Nighthawk R8000 AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router

Presently running firmware version: 1.0.4.12(I purposefully down-graded it, in hope to resolve the problems but no benefit )

Latest firmware version out now by Netgear for my router:1.0.4.28

I am frustrated because of the following issues from last week. The router was performing satisfactorily as it was intended untill last week with no hiccups. Then the issues gradually started happening from subtle but fixable to catastrophic failure until it crippled the router, rendering it unable to be used for accessing the internet. Forget about internet, I was not even able to access configuration page(192.168.1.1 or www.routerlogin.net ).

The PC I use to usually configure the router has Windows 10 OS.

There has never been too much load on the router as such. 6 to 7 devices at most, at a time with no excessive performance demand from their part that router wasn't able to do.

Issues being faced:

1. Keeps Connecting and Disconnecting with devices: I even connected my pc directly to one of the switching ports on the router with a working CAT 6 cable to check the router's configuration but it is a very difficult task as the router keeps connecting and disconnecting with my pc.With many tries I was able to down-grade the firmware in hope to cure the drama but alas, no use. I thought the firmware may be the main culprit but the source of the problems lies somewhere else. All the firmware files uploaded to router were Netgear official.
  2. Issues with DHCP: The router is not able to assign local IP to the connected devices. The IP configuration has to be done manually in each device connected for it to be understood by the router. DHCP doesn't work any more even after router showing it to be working in the configuration page.
  3. Over-Heating: The router seems to over heat significantly since the problems started to surface when compared to it working normally. I even updated the router with the latest official Netgear firmware version as it may resolve the problem but it didn't happen.I even provided the router with forced air ventilation with a small DC fan cooler but no end to the drama. Router became quite cooler (in terms of temperature) due to the fan.
  4. Can't connect my devices through Wifi: Devices cannot connect to the router even with correct wifi passwords. This happens with all the three bands 2.4ghz, 5ghz-1 and 5ghz-2, though 5ghz were unified as per a particular check box.The router is unable to assign IP address to the devices trying to connect to the network with correct passwords and hence, connection fails.
  5. The Router is hanging on a ceiling mount:The router is hanging from the ceiling mount such that the top-side of the router is perpendicular to the floor. I wonder if it may be a probable factor to the problems. The place where it is, is quite well ventilated.

I am no pro in this sector, I request all the fellow members in this community to help me out with a viable solution to successfully troubleshoot the router.I would like to know your ideas on this subject.

Your efforts will be highly appreciated. I will also try to give my contributions to this community as I become more savvy in this subject with time.

Ardently waiting for a solution to revive my router(if possible).

Peace.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: Repeated connectivity issues, poor performance ,DHCP issues and possible hardware malfunctionin

Offhand, well, overheating is a possibility. Depends where the heat is coming from I guess, inside or environment? Tried running an external fan on it I see so it could be an internal problem? Did you notice high temps before when it was working?

From the screenshot unit is clearly over 1 year old, so NG support will cost you if you want to use it. Might be better to buy a new router though?

Did this just happen recently?

Why did you think going backlevel in f/w would help?

Was it working fine with V1.04.28 and then start to fail or did it do it immediately?

Have your tried doing the RESET with the recessed RESET button?

Have you only connected a WIRED device/PC with NO OTHER devices connected (can turn off Wifi with LED button on top)?

When it starts failing, what is the LED's status?

Wondering if you have a failed f/w load and the router starts to reboot soon after coming up?

You might need to do TFTP install of the the f/w (search forum for that method) but some people had problems doing that.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Re: Repeated connectivity issues, poor performance ,DHCP issues and possible hardware malfunctionin

Offhand, well, overheating is a possibility. Depends where the heat is coming from I guess, inside or environment? Tried running an external fan on it I see so it could be an internal problem? Did you notice high temps before when it was working?

From the screenshot unit is clearly over 1 year old, so NG support will cost you if you want to use it. Might be better to buy a new router though?

Did this just happen recently?

Why did you think going backlevel in f/w would help?

Was it working fine with V1.04.28 and then start to fail or did it do it immediately?

Have your tried doing the RESET with the recessed RESET button?

Have you only connected a WIRED device/PC with NO OTHER devices connected (can turn off Wifi with LED button on top)?

When it starts failing, what is the LED's status?

Wondering if you have a failed f/w load and the router starts to reboot soon after coming up?

You might need to do TFTP install of the the f/w (search forum for that method) but some people had problems doing that.

Message 2 of 5
RevantVarde
Aspirant

Hello IrvSp,

Thanks for responding and providing a possible solution.

I am currently working on the fix you suggested me. I will keep you posted as I progress.

No, I didn't notice heating issues prior to the failing of the router. It didn't used to be ice cold but yeah normal.

I am actually looking forward to buy one and I am looking for well-engineered  tri-band wireless router with the perfect blend of high performance, reliablility and ease of use. I want to fix this router of mine as I don't what it to go to trash and I believe to use the max out of it if possible theoretically.

I chose to down-grade my firmware because just after few days my router got the latest update i.e. version 1.0.4.28 started to develop problems including heating. I chose the 2nd last firmware to replace the latest one as my go-to firmware because my router when was running previously with it was running smooth, gave me no issues and also I was somewhat able to get more connectivity with only one device being my pc connected with an ethernet to my failing router.

I tried my share of luck with the reset button but even then the problems keeps coming back in the same way. Even after multiple configurations and resetting, still same. Reset didn't work out for me.

No, while I was performing these settings no other device was connected to the router but my pc with an ethernet cable, in fact I even turned its WiFi off totally.Yes I can turn the WiFi off with the physical button on the router.

LED Status while failing : 

Power LED: amber (no blinking)[Normally it becomes white]

Internet LED: white (blinking as usual)

LAN led (Port that was connected to my pc): amber with very few blinks

WiFi LEDs: off (as I turned it off).

No, in my case the router doesn't keep rebooting but I have read it keeps rebooting for other fellow users. In my case, it keeps refusing the connection to devices by not alloting ip address to them that is required for routing.

What would you advise me go for TFTP Windows OS method using CMD or TFTP client method?

Which one of them have more success probablility?

I would like to know you idea on this concern of mine.

Cheers man, have a good day.

Message 3 of 5
RevantVarde
Aspirant

I have got the router fixed. My doubt was correct, the problem was indeed with the firmware on the router. All the problems I was facing was due to the firmware misbehaving. I used the TFTP(Trivial File Transfer Protocol) firmware flashing method(CMD windows os TFTP precisely) to flash the firmware downloaded on my pc from Netgear Support. The router is working like a charm.

I also found out that an ethernet switch that was connected to one of the ports on the router, was also bothering it in its DHCP function. The switch had no device connected to it.I removed it from my router's ports. I have read somewhere that ethernet switches can sometimes create problems like this.

I am happy to get my router functioning back again.

Thank You for the help.

Appreciate you efforts.

Cheers man.

Message 4 of 5
millzy
Aspirant

Hi what firmware version did you upload? I'm having similar issues so keen to try it out.

@RevantVarde wrote:

I have got the router fixed. My doubt was correct, the problem was indeed with the firmware on the router. All the problems I was facing was due to the firmware misbehaving. I used the TFTP(Trivial File Transfer Protocol) firmware flashing method(CMD windows os TFTP precisely) to flash the firmware downloaded on my pc from Netgear Support. The router is working like a charm.

I also found out that an ethernet switch that was connected to one of the ports on the router, was also bothering it in its DHCP function. The switch had no device connected to it.I removed it from my router's ports. I have read somewhere that ethernet switches can sometimes create problems like this.

I am happy to get my router functioning back again.

Thank You for the help.

Appreciate you efforts.

Cheers man.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7