Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router capped at 100mbps

Gkeller16
Aspirant

Router capped at 100mbps

I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out what is going wrong. Just upgraded my internet to 500mb service . Have been capped on all devices at 100mb and saw that a couple cables that were run were Cat5 and the switch I had downstairs running my game consoles and PC was only 100mb .

So I ordered a gigabit switch and several cat 7 cables and am still capped at 100mb no matter what I try. I have read all the posts I can find ,made sure user access and qos are disabled,rolled back firmware,nothing helps. Tech from my ISP came out and said they have 500mb going to my router so it's my router at fault . If anyone has any ideas to save my sanity I would greatly appreciate it.
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

I guess a call the ISP might be in order telling them what you discovered and how it resulted in a change of how the router works.. but many ISP's don't handle any problems with private routers... Might have to ask for the modem/router to be replaced?

Also check the network adapter on that upstairs PC. Make sure it is set to 1000Mbps. However not all 'older' PC's will have GB ethernet, so if it is old you might not be able to do anything other than buy a USB or PCI card that is GB.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

What color or the Port LED's? Open Genie in a Browser and on Advanced tab, for the Internet Port, what is SHOW STATISTICS button show for the port connections STATUS?

I assume you've REBOOTED MODEM, ROUTER, SWITCHES, and all DEVICES already and let them come up in order?

Have you tried to RESET the router?

Message 2 of 10
Gkeller16
Aspirant

The color is Amber on every port. My statistics show
Wan 1000M/Full
Lan1 100M/Full
Lan 2 100m/Full

I have rebooted everything multiple times and factory reset everything and started from scratch.
Message 3 of 10
IrvSp
Master

@Gkeller16 wrote:
The color is Amber on every port. My statistics show
Wan 1000M/Full
Lan1 100M/Full
Lan 2 100m/Full

I have rebooted everything multiple times and factory reset everything and started from scratch.

Well, at least the router thinks you are using 100Mbps (CAT5) cables in LAN 1 and 2. A CAT 5e or better between the modem and router.

A few possibilities arise. First of course is a damaged router. LAN ports can only be 100Mbps. Second would be that the cables in LAN 1 and 2 are either CAT 5 or damaged possibly. Should be easy to check these two, disconnect the modem to router cable and use it in LAN 1 to a PC or switch. If it shows 1000Mbps, then the old cable was bad. If not, the next possibility is what is at the end of those cables are set to 100Mbps? Check settings on the properties of the network adapters.

If on Windows, go to DEVICE MANAGER, open up NETWORK ADAPTERS, find your Adapter in the list, double click on it and look at ADVANCED tab, and scroll down to SPEED and DUPLEX... and the pulldown (see my capture on right) is showing the speed/duplex. If set to 100Mbps, change it... that wil fix it.

If the other end is a Switch, check its settings.

Message 4 of 10
Gkeller16
Aspirant

Cable in lan 1 is a cat 5e and lan 2 is a brand new cat 7. I have tried the other cat 7 cables and same results. When I get home i will check settings in my PC but I know at least the Xbox which is on the same switch as the PC is capping at 100 as well. It's a unmanaged switch so no settings to mess with there. I have tried bypassing the switch as well and have the same results.
Message 5 of 10
Gkeller16
Aspirant

So I came home and switched to a backup Netgear I had laying around and still am only getting 100mb  on my devices . I checked the speed and duplex settings in the device manager and they are set to 1.0gbps full duplex. I am at a loss on what to check next  , I saw his tester hit 500mbps coming out of their cable router with the cable that was connected . Is their something that I am missing as far as the cable router that I should have done? I set it to bridge mode and have the cable coming out of the lan port 1 to the Wan connection of my router . The cable company refuses to offer support since I am using my own router . 

Message 6 of 10
IrvSp
Master

@Gkeller16 wrote:

I saw his tester hit 500mbps coming out of their cable router with the cable that was connected . Is their something that I am missing as far as the cable router that I should have done? I set it to bridge mode and have the cable coming out of the lan port 1 to the Wan connection of my router . The cable company refuses to offer support since I am using my own router . 

Wait a minute... I am confused... Initial entry shows an R7000 which is a router. My assumption was an ISP modem connected to your R7000 router and that router shows LED's that indicates 1Gb from the modem and 100Mb to all LAN ports.

=============

Tech from my ISP came out and said they have 500mb going to my router so it's my router at fault . If anyone has any ideas to save my sanity I would greatly appreciate it.

==============

Now you are talking about a 'cable router'?

Exactly what h/w are you talking about and what is connected to what?

Is the modem also a router?

What switch is this?

Are you running the R7000 as a router or an AP?

What are the devices you have and which are connected to what?

What ISP speed did you have before and what have you got now?
Message 7 of 10
Gkeller16
Aspirant

Sorry for the confusion . I have Cincinnati Bell fioptics and I just upgraded from 100mbps to 500mbps this week. Upstairs ,Isp has a cable router that is in my laundry room and next to that is my nighthawk. They ran one cat5e cable to a upstairs bedroom to my wife's PC and then I have 1 cable that I ran downstairs which is hooked to a gigabit switch that powers my gaming consoles,PC and tv.

I have their cable router set in bridge mode and ran the cable coming out of port 1 of their router to my nighthawk internet port and the nighthawk is then set to router mode .

After some further testing last night and into the wee hours this morning,I got frustrated and took their router out of bridge mode .I ran a cable out of their router port 1 to the internet port of the nighthawk to see what would happen. I am now getting white lights on the nighthawk with 1000mbps full duplex showing on at least 1 port of the nighthawk that is feeding the downstairs but the upstairs PC is still on amber. At this point I believe there is a issue with the ISP router when it is set into bridge mode and a further issue with the upstairs PC not properly utilizing the speed, as I had swapped that 1 good cable that had previously showed a white light also goes to amber and 100mbps when hooked to that PC.
Message 8 of 10
IrvSp
Master

I guess a call the ISP might be in order telling them what you discovered and how it resulted in a change of how the router works.. but many ISP's don't handle any problems with private routers... Might have to ask for the modem/router to be replaced?

Also check the network adapter on that upstairs PC. Make sure it is set to 1000Mbps. However not all 'older' PC's will have GB ethernet, so if it is old you might not be able to do anything other than buy a USB or PCI card that is GB.

Message 9 of 10
Gkeller16
Aspirant

I brought my PC upstairs this morning to test which was just built recently and am getting the full 500mbps so I am not sure what the issue is with the wife's. I did make sure it was set to a gigabyte connection but it refuses to run above 100. I can live with it,she doesn't use her computer but for crafting and not much online ,though 100 is hardly slow. I did call Cincinnati Bell and they are investigating,it appears at this point like you said,there is something with their router and doing bridge mode causing the issues and might need replaced. Thanks for your help,I really appreciate it !!
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7