Dent41
Aspirant

Router connection

My router won’t connect to my 5g network 

Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: Router connection

1. The router doesn't connect to the network, it broadcasts the network. 

2. what router do you have? 

3. what device are you trying to to connect to 5ghz?

4. Details are key, its tough to help without fully knowing whats going on. 

Message 2 of 14
Dent41
Aspirant

So sorry I hv model number R8000 and yes I’m trying to connect to 5ghz. It connects to the extender I hv but not the router

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

So you have an R8000.

Still struggling to make sense of this as you say it connects to the extender but not the router. 

The r8000 doesn't connect to a router? 

Or what isn't connecting to the router? 
Is this another router? 

Again, please stop being brief. Go over your full setup, what you're trying to do, and where in the process its failing. Just saying it doesn't work, doesn't tell us anything. 

Message 4 of 14
Dent41
Aspirant

I have the AR 8000 router I put in a factory reset to set up the network again because it would not connect to my 5Ghz network. when I put it back to the factory reset it showed the 5G Netwerk in my Wi-Fi setting the router just would not pick it up. It picked up the 2.4 GHZ not the 5G. I have a Wi-Fi extender when I switched over to the Wi-Fi extender It was using the 5GHZ network. I’m just trying to get my router to connect to my 5Ghz and not the 2.4 GHz 

Message 5 of 14
Dent41
Aspirant

My router is a R8000 model number 

Message 6 of 14
Dent41
Aspirant

On the Netgear app that I have on my phone I am seeing that my router is not on the 5G Network but when I switch over to my extender which is also on the same app it is showing the extender is on the 5Ghz 

Message 7 of 14
Dent41
Aspirant

On the Netgear app that I have on my phone I am seeing that my router is not on the 5G Network but when I switch over to my extender which is also on the same app it is showing the extender is on the 5Ghz 

Message 8 of 14
Dent41
Aspirant

I have the AR 8000 router I put in a factory reset to set up the network again because it would not connect to my 5Ghz network. when I put it back to the factory reset it showed the 5G Netwerk in my Wi-Fi setting the router just would not pick it up. It picked up the 2.4 GHZ not the 5G. I have a Wi-Fi extender when I switched over to the Wi-Fi extender It was using the 5GHZ network. I’m just trying to get my router to connect to my 5Ghz and not the 2.4 GHz 

Message 9 of 14
Dent41
Aspirant

Hello did you give up on me

Message 10 of 14
Dent41
Aspirant

Connection issues

Can anyone help me connect my R8000 is using 2.4ghz and not 5Ghz. The extender I have which is hooked up to the same Wi-Fi network is showing its using 5Ghz but the R8000 is not 

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

@Dent41 wrote:

My router won’t connect to my 5g network 

Are you trying to connect the R8000 to a cell phone internet service network? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 12 of 14
plemans
Guru

A couple things. 

1. We're not on a chat. Its a forum posts. you won't always get quick responses

2. I'm still not sure what you're doing or have going on. You mention the R8000 but then mention an extender. Then mention that r8000 won't connect to 5ghz (which it doesn't connect it, it broadcasts). So why not start back at basics. 

• what modem/gateway is the r8000 connected to
  • what extender do you have
  • what 5g signal are you trying to connect the r8000 to and why
  • you put you factory reset the r8000, why did you do this? Were you having issues before? 

If the r8000 is new, you have support for free from 90 days of purchase. 

To get a hold of support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process. Keep in mind that its only free for the first 90 days.

Message 13 of 14
plemans
Guru

Plus something else to keep in mind is the r8000 has smart connect that combines all 3x of its ssid's into one ssid. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7