Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Should I go back to Netgear official from Tomato/xwrt?

mc510
Guide

Should I go back to Netgear official from Tomato/xwrt?

I've been using FreshTomato and xwrt-merlin on my R7000 since I got it, but it's occurred to me that I'm not really using any of the unique features that these alternative firmwares provide and that what I care about more than anything is simply a strong, stable wifi signal. And I'm wondering if the Netgear official firmware might be better in that regard. Has anyone here compared Netgear official to either FreshTomato or xwrt-merlin recently?

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I ran my R7000 about a month ago for a good week. Ran well on this version of stock Fw:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/New-R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-134-Releas...

I didn't compare to other 3rd party FW. Most users in this forum use Stock FW. You'll need to refer to those 3rd party FW support sites to see what those users are seeing. 

Message 2 of 5
mc510
Guide

Sounds like you found wifi to be slower than you expected with that fw version?

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

No thats about the range for 5Ghz AC on the R7000 and my Iphone. The 7000 doesn't support 1733Mhz like the R7000 does so can't get much more out of it. Wired speeds are good though. I ran it as the only AP in the house with out any extenders as I wanted to kind stress test it over the week. Did fine with 30 devices. 

Message 4 of 5
mc510
Guide

Okay, thanks; good information. Maybe I'll try it out ... just want to first make sure that I understand the new (nmrpflash) way to load alternative firmware, in case I don't like the Netgear official.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7