Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow wired speeds R8000

Pete2453
Aspirant

Slow wired speeds R8000

Long story short, have done resets changed cables (all cat 7) fresh reinstall of firmware etc etc, multiple online chats with support and telephone calls.

bout this and the 1150v modem, am with Xfinity, right from the outset had slow wired speeds 120-250mbs, wireless was running 250mbs.

first online chat with support change setting in the R8000 and instantly got 900 plus MB’s for wired and 800 MB’s for wireless....happy.

next day wired speed 20mbs.

xfinity had come out checked everything thereside and confirmed was getting 1 g speed to my outlet.

online support again now told to change the setting the previous agent had told me to change from the default!

this really shouldn’t be as hard as it is and support is just frustrating 

Am open to any suggestions apart from turn on turn off, reload firmware etc etc.

in a speed test.net when direct from modem to computer was getting 500mbs hook up to router and back down to 200 ish mbs

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Pete2453
Aspirant

Re: Slow wired speeds R8000

Final update:

R8000 has the latest firmware on it V1.0.4.68_10.1.75

MTU set to 1500

QOS, traffic, etc all set to disabled

Now getting 935 mbs wired and wireless is fantastic.

Solution: Replacement CM1150V modem

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. What actual firmware version are you on? "the latest" isn't always the best with the R8000

2. What fixed it before? 

3. With the r8000, if you have speeds >250mbps, make sure qos, traffic monitoring, access control, and parental controls are all disabled. 

If they were enabled, and disabling/rebooting doesn't fix the speeds, then try a factory reset and clean install (not from backup). Do not enable those service. 

Message 2 of 12
Pete2453
Aspirant

Hi thanks for your response, I am away from my router at the moment but,

the firmware is the latest for this router on one of the online chats sessions I reset to factory and uploaded the firmware from my pc as directed by the support person.

the first session fixed it by changing the mature size to 1472, turning access control off and ensuring qos was off. Also a power cycle. Was told may take a couple of hours upto 10 to get the full benefit.

to answer your last point, have done a factory reset made sure everything that should be off is off etc and reloaded the firmware from my pc on hardwire.

later today I have an xfinity tech come out again and check every thing thee end which am sure nothing has changed since Sunday and also they are bringing another modem so we can fault check that way as well. If tat works then I can only assume that there is an issue with the netgear modem and router.

will keep all updated once again appreciate the help

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

With the R8000, the latest isn't the best. 

And those 4 settings can cause your speeds to stay in the 200mbps range. 

Version I'd recommend would be 1.0.4.28

try installing that version, do a factory reset, and then a clean install (not using a backup). Again, make to to leave access control, traffic monitoring, qos, and parental controls all disabled

Message 4 of 12
Pete2453
Aspirant

I will try that later today and update the results of this and the xfinity visit

Thanks
Message 5 of 12
Pete2453
Aspirant

Well, latest update, factory reset loaded the suggested firmware made sure everything that should be disabled was and

Improvement on wireless now round 390mbs, but still short of what i was getting 7-800mbs

Wired no change still 200mbs. Checked on two computers hard wired just to confirm that not an issue with the one computer

Xfinity should be here soon so will see how that goes and update you all.

Am dissapointed but not suprised at the results.

Message 6 of 12

@Pete2453 wrote:

Improvement on wireless now round 390mbs, but still short of what i was getting 7-800mbs

You were getting wifi up to 800 Mbps? That's impressive. What with?

390 Mbps is faster than many wifi clients can deliver.

It's a client thing as much as source performance.

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Oh, and how you measure the wifi speed is important.YOur explanation of what you are doing is less than crystal clear to me. (Probably my fault.) But the Netgear app, if that is what you rely on doesn't measure wifi speeds. It uses the interface to tell the router to measure what it gets out of its wired connection.

I assume that this "1150v modem" is the CM1150V. It always helps to have exact details.

Message 7 of 12
Pete2453
Aspirant

Ok latest update Xfinity came out checked everything once again.

Am getting 1.5G through to the coax to the modem. Out of the modem I am getting 830.

All speed tests are done through speedtest.net if you would like to recomend another means of testing am more than open to it.

Onspeedtest.net am getting 450 wireless

On hardwire to the computer getting 200mbs

All cables check out, have tested on two seperate computers to make sure not a computer problem.

Unless someone can tell me otherwise the fault lies with the at a minimum the modem CM1150V output to the router.

I will be contacting Negear and request a replacement modem at the minimium.

As said before am open to any other suggestions in case i have missed something

Message 8 of 12
Pete2453
Aspirant

I would aslo hasten to add that the WIFI speeds I am more than happy with however even with my limited knowledge 200 from a 1.5g hardwire connection is not in any shape or form good.

Message 9 of 12
Pete2453
Aspirant

Update. Today I fell foul of Netgears warranty and returns procedure so would like to warn people about that.

The return process sucks big time and is not the way customer service should be.

1. You have to pay to return thier defective item.

2. They wont send out a replacement until they receive the item being returned. Therefore I would have to go God knows how long without internet which as I work from home is not acceptable.

The solution is to go through the reseller in my case Amazon who are sending a replacement as I type and they pay for the return shipping and best of all I have until the 24 to return the defective item.

The lesson to take from this is NEVER buy direct from Netgear. So far this has been the worst experiance of my life in having to deal with a company, I hope that the replacement works as it should.

I should have realised earlier when it was said that the latest firmware isnt the best. Netgear need to look at thier customer support and make some huge improvements to it if they wish to keep customers

Message 10 of 12
Pete2453
Aspirant

Latest update

Have receievd a replacement modem CM1150V when computer connected directly to modem now getting 900+mbs so happy there.

Reset the R8000 factory settings made sure everything that should be disabled is ie traffic monitor etc. MTU is set to 1400 (did ping tests and then added 28)

The download speeds are now stable at 350mbs, but supprised still losing 600 odd mbs somehow

Any thoughts?

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 11 of 12
Pete2453
Aspirant

Final update:

R8000 has the latest firmware on it V1.0.4.68_10.1.75

MTU set to 1500

QOS, traffic, etc all set to disabled

Now getting 935 mbs wired and wireless is fantastic.

Solution: Replacement CM1150V modem

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7