Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Smart Connect not connecting 802.11g device

KeeslerWW
Aspirant

Smart Connect not connecting 802.11g device

I just acquired a new router. I am finding that when I use the Smart Connect to let the router intelligently select the best WiFi band 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz for my WiFi connections, my 802.11g device fails to connect. It will connect only if I turn off the Smart Connect. I would prefer using it as my newer devices may require changing between the bands depending on where they are in relation to the router. What do I need to do to ensure the 802.11g device works without having to manage multiple bands for the other devices?

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: Smart Connect not connecting 802.11g device

Does the G device never connect, even if you try manually? Do you get an error?

I do not think Smart Connect as implemented by Netgear (there are options and different ways of using the chipset) is DYNAMIC? At least it clearly was NOT on my R8000. That means devices will NOT switch bands. Smart Connect is spec'ed as putting the right device on the right speed band, but I found it did load leveling (keeping bands even in terms of devices connected) first and speed second. Smart Connect might not be what you want to use.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
myersw
Master

Recent firmware has issues with smart connect. Best to not try using. In fact Netgear firmware is garbage right now. Hopefully they will get their act together. Sold my Netgear routers due to firmware issues. 

Message 2 of 4
IrvSp
Master

Does the G device never connect, even if you try manually? Do you get an error?

I do not think Smart Connect as implemented by Netgear (there are options and different ways of using the chipset) is DYNAMIC? At least it clearly was NOT on my R8000. That means devices will NOT switch bands. Smart Connect is spec'ed as putting the right device on the right speed band, but I found it did load leveling (keeping bands even in terms of devices connected) first and speed second. Smart Connect might not be what you want to use.

Message 3 of 4
KeeslerWW
Aspirant

The only time the G connected was when Smart Connect was turned off or by wire. It gave me a failure as if I had entered a wrong passcode. The description and application are very much lacking. I think I'll stay with it off as it doesn't sound like it will be of any real benefit.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7