Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Soft Tree Inc Scam

Rodich
Initiate

Soft Tree Inc Scam

I purchased a Nighthawk router. I already owned (2) LINKSYS extenders. I was having issues with connectivity between the new router and extenders. I went to NETGEAR and was routed to SoftTree Inc for assistance. I was then told by Soft Tree that they were the authorized dealer / tech support for NETGEAR. I had them fix the connectivity of my new router and extenders + they did some internet speed work (or so I thought). I am still experiencing issues with internet speed and started to investigate... this is when I learned about SoftTree Inc scam. I came across the message board where is states to reach out for assistance (here) if this happened to me. I am reaching out to figure out if my internet/computer is compromised. I want to make sure things are secure. 

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 4

Re: Soft Tree Inc Scam

@Rodich wrote:

I went to NETGEAR and was routed to SoftTree Inc for assistance. I was then told by Soft Tree that they were the authorized dealer / tech support for NETGEAR.

How did you "go to Netgear"? I hope it wasn't a websearch.

Too many scamsters out set up fake websites that appear in searches. People then unwittingly visit them or, worse, phone them up, and end up with damaged networks or bank accounts, sometimes both.

Thanks for warning people about that one.

If you need help in the first 90 days of purchase, register your device and start a request in that way.

There is no phone support. You do it via the support portal:

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Start here:

MyNETGEAR | Product Registration

Start a case and, with luck, they will contact you.

Or ask for help here. It may come mostly from unpaid volunteers, but it is free and no one is trying to con you.

Message 2 of 4
Rodich
Initiate

I purchases a new Nighthawk RAX50. My hard lined internet speed is 700+. MY speed when on nighthawk WIFI is 100-120. Does anyone know how to maximize mbps on the nighthawk router? I am sure I need to adjust something in my router settings. I do use a maxbook.

Message 3 of 4

@Rodich wrote:

My hard lined internet speed is 700+. MY speed when on nighthawk WIFI is 100-120. Does anyone know how to maximize mbps on the nighthawk router?

Maybe 100 to 120 MBps does maximise the MBbps on your router.

The router does not set the speed of your wifi devices. They do that.

Do you know that these unnamed devices can go faster anywhere else?

If the fastest speed your wifi device can manage is 120 MBps there is nothing your router can do to make it go faster.

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7