Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trouble adding my nas network drive to Plex library

CX
Initiate
Initiate

Trouble adding my nas network drive to Plex library

Router Firmware: V1.0.2.32

Nas: Synology DS1815+ (Named Vault)

I've been following this guide https://kb.netgear.com/000038628/How-do-I-use-my-R9000-Nighthawk-X10-to-add-a-network-drive-to-my-Pl... when I get to step 9 "The network drive is added and you are redirected back to the main Plex Media Server page." I am not redirected back to that page, instead I am returned to the same page:

However the connection I just added does appear in Plex, but no media is ever found. Here is an example of this:

The username and password is that of my nas, using any other returns an error. The dvds folder is on the root of one of my nas drives. The IP of the nas is correct. I click apply, it says please wait a moment, then I am returned to the same page, however 'DVDconnection' is now found in the Plex add media section.

So I go into plex, add library, add movies, add folder, browser for media folder, choose DVDconnection (it does not show any subfolders even though they do exist)

then add library and get "there are no items in this library" after scanning for a second. I also created a connection called fakefolder for a folder that doesn't exist on the nas and I get the same result.

Cannot edit or delete a drive connection from the router settings, my added drive connections displayed in the image above are not seen in the router settings:

I already have Plex running on my nas before buying the router so I know the media is compatible. Here is a screenshot of it from the plex on my nas:

I can access the files from windows explorer.

Permissions for DVDs

File services:

Bought this router especailly for plex because the nas can't transcode very well. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thank you for reading and I will appreciate any suggestions.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
CX
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Trouble adding my nas network drive to Plex library

Thanks for your reply. I tried contacting them the day I made this post. Nobody on live chat attempted to help me with the issue other than giving me a case number. The case is still open and I am waiting for either a phonecall or email reply. If you have any suggestions in the meantime they would be much appreciated because I am considering returning the router at this point. 😞

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @CX

That's an interesting case. Did you submit an inquiry to our support team?

If you have not, I strongly suggest that you contact support to log a case on this for further debugging.

Message 2 of 8
CX
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for your reply. I tried contacting them the day I made this post. Nobody on live chat attempted to help me with the issue other than giving me a case number. The case is still open and I am waiting for either a phonecall or email reply. If you have any suggestions in the meantime they would be much appreciated because I am considering returning the router at this point. 😞

Message 3 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The only thing I can think of right now is that this could be a firmware problem.

Looks like the team had reached out to you and is asking as to when they can contact you in order to get it resolved.

Please respond to them at your earliest convenience for a resolution.

Message 4 of 8
zookeee1
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem since I reset my router.  Any update OP?

Message 5 of 8
zookeee1
Aspirant

Removed ALL subdirectories and it worked. (In other words - DON'T FOLLOW NETGEAR'S INSTRUCTIONS) lol

Message 6 of 8
ioslo
Initiate

I'm having the exact same issues.  I see that your solution is: "Removed ALL subdirectories and it worked.".  Can you make a sceendump or tell me where you removed all sub directories from?  I assume you didn't remove them from the NAS itself?

BR

Message 7 of 8
ioslo
Initiate

I found the solution to the connection issues: Basically, make sure you have set up a 'shared folder' on the NAS, using the admin tool/web page on the NAS, and use that folder name when adding a Network Drive Connection on R9000. You will also have to actually crate that folder on the NAS, using a PC, if you're not adding the 'root' folder of the NAS.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7