Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to connect to the internet and routerlogin.net won't display

TropicPlague
Tutor

Unable to connect to the internet and routerlogin.net won't display

I have a new AC1750 (R6700 v3) router that I'm trying to set up and I'm running into issues which I'm not sure are related or not. The router does not connect to the internet even after performing the network restart while my old router still works fine. I'm also not able to access routerlogin.net either by using routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1. 

1. ipconfig shows that my default gateway is 192.168.1.1
    1. Going to 192.168.1.1 produces the following address: 

http://192.168.1.1/start.htm?y7bRbp=rE0du53wZOWwGZeDa6baJndCTzlSWg4o5Juv4_0MNPXOTsTzBKi_VmbgOwa9GIAs...

2. Using the developer tools the console shows "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 400 (Bad Request)"
  2. I'm able to successfully ping the router using ping 192.168.1.1
  3. I've preformed the network restart procedure in the user manual several times
  4.  Performed a reset on the router several times
  5. Tried going to 192.168.1.1 on Chrome, Brave, and Edge on Windows 10 computer using ethernet
  6. Tried going to 192.168.1.1 on Chrome from an Android phone and Chromebook using 2.5 and 5 GHz Wifi.
  7. Cleared entire browser cache on all devices and browsers
  8. Performed ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew several times

If you need any more information just let me know. Any additional trouble shooting ideas?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
TropicPlague
Tutor

Re: Unable to connect to the internet and routerlogin.net won't display

My 'solution' was to just purchase another router. Everything I tried to fix the Nighthawk router failed. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

What is the brand name and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that is connected upstream between your R6700 and the internet?

When you changed out your router, did you power down your network (pull the power cords) and restart it in sequence?  The sequence is to power up the modem/gateway/ONT first, wait until it is complete and the internet indicator is illuminated before restarting your R6700.

Message 2 of 12
TropicPlague
Tutor

Hi. I believe that I have a Verizon FiOS Nokia G-211M ONT.

When I changed out the router I initially just moved the ethernet cable from my old router to the new one. After I realized that there was a problem I performed the network restart that is in the manual but waited more than the stated two minutes. The ONT was fully back when I proved power back to the router. The internet LED is white so it should be connected but isn’t.

Is the 192.168.1.1 page on the router or on the internet? It is my understanding that the page in on the router so even though I cannot access the internet I should still be able to access the 192.168.1.1 page.

Message 3 of 12

@TropicPlague wrote:

After I realized that there was a problem I performed the network restart that is in the manual but waited more than the stated two minutes.

Did you reset the router?

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The ONT was fully back when I proved power back to the router. The internet LED is white so it should be connected but isn’t.

Inter et LED in what? ONT or router?

Which devices are you using to check?

You describe this as a "new" R6700v3. Did you buy it new? (It is now six years old as a model, based on an original from 2014.)  I ask this to rule out any chance that you have acquired a dud second hand router.

@TropicPlague wrote:

Is the 192.168.1.1 page on the router or on the internet? It is my understanding that the page in on the router so even though I cannot access the internet I should still be able to access the 192.168.1.1 page.

It is the local IP address for your router. If you can't get at it, then you may have a local network problem or the device is bust.

How are you trying to get in? What happens?

Message 4 of 12
TropicPlague
Tutor

I did reset the router by pressing the reset button for 30 seconds. I didn’t do the reset are part of the network restart however.

The LED was on one on the router

I’m using a Windows 10 computer, an Android phone, and a Chromebook to check. None of the devices work.

I bought the router (new) in late 2021 off of Amazon but didn’t try to use it until now.

192.168.1.1 is shown as being the default gateway when I use ipconfig so that is what I have been using to try to access the router login page. The router does successfully respond to the ping 192.168.1.1 command and doesn’t drop any packets. I’ve tried using routerlogin.net and htt[://routerlogin.net to get to the router login page. All I get is a blank browser screen regardless of what device I use.

Message 5 of 12
modus
Tutor

Hi,

Did you ever figure out how to access the router? I'm trying to access the router using 192.168.1.1 and routerlogin.net but it gets 'stuck' at what appears to be a blank page that has the address: 192.168.1.1/start.htm?>>bunch of alphanumericcharacters

Different browsers doesn't work

Hard / factory reset doesn't work

Cleaning Browser Cache doesn't work

Tried connecting wirelessly and also through ethernet cable: neither worked.

If you, or anyone, can provide an update on how to fix this, I would deeply appreciate it.

Message 6 of 12
Kitsap
Master

There are a lot of options in the following linked document.

https://kb.netgear.com/27199/I-can-t-access-my-router-what-do-I-do

Message 7 of 12
modus
Tutor

Hi Kitsap

Thanks for the quick response. I've gone through the entire thing and nothing appears to fix the problem. The issue is the same that the OP, TropicPlague, experienced. 

Modus

Message 8 of 12
Kitsap
Master

Disconnect the router from the internet.  Reboot the router.  Connect a computer to the router via an Ethernet cable and reboot the computer.  Check task manager in the computer to find out the IP address it connected to.  Use that IP address in the address bar of your web browser.  Try more than one browser if necessary.

Message 9 of 12
modus
Tutor

Tried that - no dice.

Message 10 of 12
TropicPlague
Tutor

My 'solution' was to just purchase another router. Everything I tried to fix the Nighthawk router failed. 

Message 11 of 12
modus
Tutor

Thank you so much for responding to me. Also, I'm very sorry that you ended up having to go buy a new router.

In case you still have the Netgear router, I did end up fixing the issue. I did the "Netgear Router Recover Hack Method" as instructed by Richard Lloyd on Youtube

Basically, I ended up having to flash the latest firmware to the router. This did the trick. However, while I did follow other, TFTP methods stated here on Netgear, those were poorly written, and often they did not apply. You can follow the directions on the video, which was extremely clear and helpful. The only place where things were different was the part where the video said that the power light 'blinks'. In my case, the power light did not blink. While running the upload of the firmware, I did have to turn off and on the router one time, and it did the trick. At one point it did give me a "TFTP block rollover. Upload might fail!" message, but it ended up working out. 

During the process, I did not have my router connected to the modem. The only cords were the power cord, and the network cable connecting my laptop to the router at Port 1 (not the WAN port). 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7