Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Update Firmware Router in AP Mode (R7800)

lmfao
Aspirant

Update Firmware Router in AP Mode (R7800)

My router is in AP mode and I want to be able to login to it, change the wifi network info and update the firmware. However, I can't login to it and the app can't find it on the network. 

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: Update Firmware Router in AP Mode (R7800)

@lmfao wrote:

My router is in AP mode and I want to be able to login to it, change the wifi network info and update the firmware. However, I can't login to it and the app can't find it on the network. 

Avoid the mobile application.  It is of no use in this situation.

Your R7800 AP is connected to an upstream router.  Log in to that router, go to connected devices and find out the IP address that is assigned to your R7800.  Use that IP address in the address bar on your web browser.  Hit enter and you should be at the login page for the R7800 user interface.

Once in the user interface, you can manually update the firmware on the R7800. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@lmfao wrote:

Avoid the mobile application.  It is of no use in this situation.

Your R7800 AP is connected to an upstream router.  Log in to that router, go to connected devices and find out the IP address that is assigned to your R7800.  Use that IP address in the address bar on your web browser.  Hit enter and you should be at the login page for the R7800 user interface.

Once in the user interface, you can manually update the firmware on the R7800. 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

@lmfao wrote:

Message 3 of 10
lmfao
Aspirant

Tried that before posting, didn't work. The IP address doesn't respond/open up with the web interface. 

Message 4 of 10
Kitsap
Master

@lmfao wrote:

Tried that before posting, didn't work. The IP address doesn't respond/open up with the web interface. 

Did you clear the cache on the web browser you are using?

Did you try a different web browser?

Are you working with iOS or Windows?

Can you successfully connect to the Wi-Fi broadcast?

This may help:  https://kb.netgear.com/000064389/How-do-I-find-the-IP-address-of-my-NETGEAR-wireless-access-point

Message 5 of 10

@lmfao wrote:

You need to track down the IP address of your R7800. There are a few ways to go about it.

• Check the IP address in the list of attached devices in your router
  • Check the IP address of the WiFi from the R7800
  • Use network map in the desktop genie for your operating system

All of these will give you an IP address that you can put into a browser. I use the genie because it does other useful stuff.

Geniemap.jpg

The genie will even throw up a clickable link to the R7800.

image.png

Netgear is trying to kill this useful utility, but for the time being you can find it here:

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Be warned that the genie installation file is wrapped up in a RAR archive that you have to decompress.

Message 6 of 10
lmfao
Aspirant

OK this actually worked, I wasn't aware the IP address changed in the time that I took it from the upstream router and the five minutes later when I put it into the browser. Literally no reason why the DHCP renew happened (no reboot/etc.) but for some reason it did lol. 

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

One can set the R7800 in AP mode using a Static IP address configuration so you know what the IP address is that doesn't change. i.e. 192.168.1.78. Something I do with mine. 

Glad you got it. 

Message 8 of 10
Kitsap
Master

@lmfao wrote:

OK this actually worked, I wasn't aware the IP address changed in the time that I took it from the upstream router and the five minutes later when I put it into the browser. Literally no reason why the DHCP renew happened (no reboot/etc.) but for some reason it did lol. 

For consumer routers, the IP addresses that are assigned by DHCP renew every 24 hours. 

Solid recommendation from @FURRYe38, configure your access point with a static IP address.  It stays put and you can bookmark it in your web browser.

Glad you got it solved.

Message 9 of 10

@Kitsap wrote:

Solid recommendation from @FURRYe38, configure your access point with a static IP address.  It stays put and you can bookmark it in your web browser.

An alternative is not to fix the IP address on the AP but to reserve it on the router.

I have used both.

It is a matter of choice and how you like to manage your network.

Address Reservation can be easier to manage if you have dozens of devices to handle individually.

• Advanced
  • Setup
  • LAN Setup
  • Address Reservation
  • Add

You could almost say "one place fix all".

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7