Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using my netgear router D6200 as a WIFI extender without Ethernet

genetenz
Follower

Using my netgear router D6200 as a WIFI extender without Ethernet

Howdy,

I am not much of a tech guy and just signed up. I am living in share accommodation and the router for the house is far from my room, plus I have no access to it. I pulled out my old D6200 netgear router to try and use it as a wifi extender for better signal. I have looked on YouTube on how to do it but none the wiser still. I cannot link the two routers via an ethernet cable because the house router is sectioned off. Any advice? Thank you.

Message 1 of 2

Re: Using my netgear router D6200 as a WIFI extender without Ethernet

@genetenz wrote:

I pulled out my old D6200 netgear router to try and use it as a wifi extender for better signal.

There are two ways to turn a router (In this case modem/router) into a "wifi extender". One is as a wireless access point (AP) plugged into another router. (That probably gives the best performance.) The other is a a wifi repeater (or bridge) that "listens" to a router's wifi and passes it on. (This is sometimes called WDS, or Wireless Distribution System.)

Nearly any router will work in AP mode: bridge mode is not always an option. A modem/router like the D6200 is less likely to support bridge mode. The good news is that the manual for your device explains how to do it.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Wireless Repeating Function (WDS).

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

An alternative approach is to put the D6200 into AP mode and to replace the Ethernet cable with Powerline Ethernet. that turns the mains circuit into a network connection. This removes the bottleneck of a wifi-to-wifi link in the network.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7