Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN For AC1900/R7000

Longwave
Tutor

VPN For AC1900/R7000

New to this so bear with me.

I want to use VPN with this router.  Instructions say there is a setting under the Advanced Tab.  But nothing else.

Is this an actual VPN?  Or, just an access to some other VPN that I muist install or connect to?  Documentation is sparse on this.

If there is an actual VPN activated by turning this on what does it do?  Detailed setup instructions would be nice.

If not, among all the VPN Software offerings is there one that is better with this router?  IPVanish has been recommended by a satisfied user.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Longwave
Tutor

Re: VPN For AC1900/R7000

Actually what a person does depends on router use.  How the router is configured in  a buisiness environment with fixed devices will be a bit different than if it is in as personal/family environment with maybe a dozen mobile devices.

The router has a blocking function that I have found to be very effective.  To only allow certain devices access I just blocked all.  Then as a device attempts access and is blocked I unblock that device, if I choose.  This is effective whether, or not a VPN is used.

My installation is mainly for about a dozen mobile devices.  For travel they need a VPN anyway.  To prevent any possible conflicts I decided not to install a VPN in the router.  Instead each device has its' own that is efffective no matter where they go.

If I were using the router in a small business envoronment, or maybe for devices that didn't move I would put a VPN in the router.

All the VPNs I looked at had simple installations.  None of the old fashioned tinkering.  Just download, folloow the steps, and use.

No matter VPN or not the built in Access Control works just fine.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi Longwave,

Below is the KB article on how to configure the OpenVPN feature of the router.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23854/~/how-do-i-use-the-vpn-service-on-my-nighthawk-r...

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi Longwave,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 3 of 12
Longwave
Tutor

Thanks for the information.  It gave me an opportunity to consider althernatives.

As I understand it, if I were to activate the VPN function of the router I would mate the router with a separately purchased VPN package.  Then, any devices using the router would by default use the VPN. The devices would only have VPN when using this router.

On the other hand I can install a VPN package on each device.  That would let the VPN function follow the devices.

Based on that assumption I have installed individual VPN packages on each device and elected not to activate VPN on this router.

If I have it wrong feel free to, tactfuly, correct me.

Message 4 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi Longwave,

The VPN feature of the router works only for OpenVPN and will not work with other VPN package. The router provides the configuration and by using the OpenVPN software the connection triggers. If you have other VPN service, the router will not be able to use a server but could be a passthrough if you have ports opened of the VPN service.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 5 of 12
gForce1
Aspirant

Does that mean that other devices using the router can access without OpenVPN installed on it? I would like only certain devices to use the VPN connection not all.

thanks in advance

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@gForce1 wrote:

Does that mean that other devices using the router can access without OpenVPN installed on it? I would like only certain devices to use the VPN connection not all.

thanks in advance

You need to install the connection details (certificates, etc) on each device that uses OpenVPN.  So this is under your control.

Message 7 of 12
Longwave
Tutor

Actually what a person does depends on router use.  How the router is configured in  a buisiness environment with fixed devices will be a bit different than if it is in as personal/family environment with maybe a dozen mobile devices.

The router has a blocking function that I have found to be very effective.  To only allow certain devices access I just blocked all.  Then as a device attempts access and is blocked I unblock that device, if I choose.  This is effective whether, or not a VPN is used.

My installation is mainly for about a dozen mobile devices.  For travel they need a VPN anyway.  To prevent any possible conflicts I decided not to install a VPN in the router.  Instead each device has its' own that is efffective no matter where they go.

If I were using the router in a small business envoronment, or maybe for devices that didn't move I would put a VPN in the router.

All the VPNs I looked at had simple installations.  None of the old fashioned tinkering.  Just download, folloow the steps, and use.

No matter VPN or not the built in Access Control works just fine.

Message 8 of 12
gForce1
Aspirant

Ok got it, that makes sense it wil  only use VPN if the cert files are in place . My question is do we have a procedure to get these on a Firestick or Fire TV ?

and will it still use the public IP? I don't see a way to actually set which IP it uses. it seems to put the DDNS entry in the cert file but won't people be able to see that and resolve that name?

Message 9 of 12
Longwave
Tutor

There are lots of VPNs out there.  Each publishes it own specifications.  Most take care of the nitty gritties, like certificates, automatically.  Each also specifies the systems it will operate on. The old days of installing bits and pieces to make a VPN work are essentially gone for folks in this class of hardware.

This is not the place to talk about what will work on a specific system.  You need Support from the individual VPN for that.  Lots out there.  So, just read, chat with their support, and make a decision.

Message 10 of 12
gForce1
Aspirant

Thanks I was only referring to using the VPN service builtin to this router and intergrating the OpenVPN with my device. I am assuming I just need to get the certs over to the device...

Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@gForce1 wrote:

Thanks I was only referring to using the VPN service builtin to this router and intergrating the OpenVPN with my device. I am assuming I just need to get the certs over to the device...

You download the appropriate file(s) from the openvpn page on the router.

Usually googling on the combination of openvpn and the device name will get you the specifics for the device.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7