Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WPS setting "Keep Existing Wireless Settings"

alokeprasad
Mentor

WPS setting "Keep Existing Wireless Settings"

What is this?  I find the documentation inadequate.

"Keep Existing Wireless Settings

This shows whether the router is in the WPS configured state.
If this option is not selected, adding a new wireless client will change the router's wireless settings to an automatically generated random SSID and security key. In addition, if this option is selected, some external registrars (e.g., Network Explorer on Windows 7) might not see the router.
Configuring basic wireless settings from the router's management GUI selects this option automatically."

I have unclecked (cleared) the "Enable Router's PIN" checkbox.  WPS should now be disabled.

What role does "Keep Existing Wireless Settings" play now?

It is checked (enabled).  Should I clear it? Why?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi alokeprasad,,

If you will not use WPS, the "Keep Existing Wireless Settings" is no use. You may disable it if you want. But to be safe just in case someone uses the WPS, which will change the wireless settings everytime someone uses the WPS if disabled, keep it enabled.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi alokeprasad,,

If you will not use WPS, the "Keep Existing Wireless Settings" is no use. You may disable it if you want. But to be safe just in case someone uses the WPS, which will change the wireless settings everytime someone uses the WPS if disabled, keep it enabled.

Message 2 of 3
JamesGL
Master

Hi alokeprasad,,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7