Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wake On Lan with R7000

Totti
Aspirant

Wake On Lan with R7000

Hi,

i get my new R7000 today and have an Asus RT-N66U before.
The Asus WOL work fine but i found no way to use WOL with the R7000.
With the R7000 i cant use 255.255.255.255 as Subnetmask to use WOL.

Is there no way on the R7000?

I was an very urgent feature for me and when it doenst work, i send back the Netgear and buy tne Asus 68U

Message 1 of 52

Accepted Solutions
ViperGeek
Apprentice

Hi Riker.

Now that I've confirmed that the removal of my solution was a moderation, I'll try repeating it from memory (I was actually using this thread, bookmarked, to remember how to do it).

1. Download TelnetEnable from here: https://github.com/LuKePicci/NetgearTelnetEnable/blob/master/binaries/windows/telnetenable.exe?raw=t...
  2. Open a DoS/Command Prompt on a PC directly connected to the same LAN and type 'telnetenable.exe <router-IP> <router-MAC> admin <admin-password>'
  3. Telnet to the router
  4. Type 'arp -i br0 -s x.x.x.x mm:mm:mm:mm:mm:mm' where x.x.x.x is the WoL destination IP address (not .255) and mm... is
    the WoL destination's MAC address

You should then have a static ARP entry in your router.  Set up forwarding of port 9/UDP to your device you want to wake and it should work.

- Dave

View solution in original post

Message 44 of 52

All Replies
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Totti wrote:
Hi,

i get my new R7000 today and have an Asus RT-N66U before.
The Asus WOL work fine but i found no way to use WOL with the R7000.
With the R7000 i cant use 255.255.255.255 as Subnetmask to use WOL.

Is there no way on the R7000?

I was an very urgent feature for me and when it doenst work, i send back the Netgear and buy tne Asus 68U

I think that dd-wrt has this, from looking at the dd-wrt wiki. Haven't seen it in the Netgear firmware.
Message 2 of 52
JAMESMTL
Novice

RogerSC wrote:
I think that dd-wrt has this, from looking at the dd-wrt wiki. Haven't seen it in the Netgear firmware.

DDWRT does indeed support WOL with the R7000. Administration -> WOL
Message 3 of 52
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I used WOL with my r7000 when connected locally without a problem.
Message 4 of 52
Fairytail
Virtuoso

As far as I know R7000 does not have Wake On LAN feature. It might be a product limitation. It is not indicated in the manual about the WOL feature.
Message 5 of 52
Retired_Member
Not applicable

WOL is not dependent on a router feature as far as I know. I use a free app on iPhone which works on 4 devices on my home network.

these routers worked with it
Wndr3700v1
Wndr4000
Wndr4700
R6300v2
R7000v1

Op may be using some other setup and trying to WOL from remote location is my guess, which I'm not familiar with that setup.
Message 6 of 52
Atin90
Aspirant

Best way to use remote WOL is to port forwarding port 9 (usually used for WOL) to one PC on the local network and if you wish to WOL other PC's on the same network, install LogMeIn or TeamViewer (there are other programs similar to these) on all the PC's that you wish to WOL. Once one PC is ON, any other PC can be WOL with one of these VNC programs.
Message 7 of 52
Totti
Aspirant

Ok, thanx for your answers! I cant believe, that this expensive router is not possible to do WOL :( Send it back and buy an Asus.
Message 8 of 52
1kevinm
Novice

Totti, I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but I have multiple devices on my network that I have no problem with WOL. Additionally, I have a server that I use WOL both via the LAN and WAN.
Message 9 of 52
Totti
Aspirant

And can you tell me, how you use WOL?? I want to start my 3 PC with my Android phone.. I use "WoL Wake on Lan" on the phone and this work nice with my Asus RT-N66U. Please can you tell, how to use WOL with the R7000? Over LAn and WAN.
Message 10 of 52
1kevinm
Novice

Totti wrote:
And can you tell me, how you use WOL??

I use WOL with a server running Linux, any device on the LAN can wake this server. It is automatic (configured in BIOS and software) when they try to access a file or service on the server. I also have this server set up as a cloud server, so any call to it's address will wake it (port forwarding set up in R7000).

Additionally, I use WOL with several media devices, all of these devices have WOL enabled.

I do not know enough about your setup or what you are trying to do to give you any advice. If it worked with a different router and is not working now, check port forwarding.
Message 11 of 52
Totti
Aspirant

Aha, not helpful... i search with google many sites and also the other posts here tell me, that WOL with the Netgear (not only the R7000) is not possible because the Netgear cant use WOL with subnet 255.255.255.255. That is how i use it on my Asus 66U with port 9.
And Asus has also an Android App "AiCloud" that has WOL Option
But its OK, as i write i send it back and buy the Asus.
Message 12 of 52
1kevinm
Novice

For others who may read this, as stated by many in this thread, the router has nothing to do with WOL.

See this link (which was easily found thru Google search):

http://www.ezlan.net/WOL.html

It can be set up to work on the LAN or via the internet on WAN.
Message 13 of 52
SntaCruz83
Tutor

I think this needs to be clarified a little. I'm not a pro on the topic by any means, but I've dealt with my fair share of trying to wake my computer up remotely when I'm not on the LAN.

While almost any modern router supports wake over lan, the ability to wake over Wan is not so clear cut. The router needs to allow you to port forward to your "broadcast address" for your home network. (In my case, that would be 192.168.1.255) Unfortunately, some routers (like my old wrt302n), don't allow you to set up port forwarding to your broadcast address as it is seen as a security issue, thus, making WoW unreliable or impossible. This is not to say that WoL doesn't work.

For me, what ended up happening when I set up WoW is that I could get it to work right after setting up all the port forwarding, but after an hour or two, I lost the ability to turn on my computers remotely once the cache was cleared (WoL still continued to work).

I believe the reason has to do with the ARP Cache in the router timing out, and even if WOL is enabled, if the PC is off it will not be able to respond to new ARP requests. You need to have a router that allows you to set static ARP addresses or port forward to your "broadcast address" otherwise when the cache is cleared as it normally does, you won't be able to connect again.

When you log in to the Asus router's admin page there is a utility that allows you to send WoL commands directly from the admin page. In essence, the router acts like a computer that is being left on in your network to send the magic packets. So, when you download the Asus android app, it is basically connecting to the router and telling the router to send the magic packet.

I had issues with the android app so I enabled remote log in on my Asus router (I know...not the most secure idea) and would then just log into the router and wake on lan from there to turn on my PCs remotely.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...like I said, this is all conjecture based on my own trial and error.
Message 14 of 52
JAMESMTL
Novice

I use DD-WRT on my R7000. For WOL from WAN what I do is this:

1. Connect to router from WAN via PPTP using ipad, cell or whatever
2. Using any browser I navigate to the router's WOL page (192.168.x.1/Wol.asp)
3. Press the wake up button for the device I want to wake up

No special software is required as DD-WRT has built WOL functionality. I also do not expose the router's GUI directly to the WAN.

DD-WRT also has a built in WOL daemon which can be set to wake up devices every x period of time.

If you wish to forgo step 1 you can enable the router's GUI to be accessible via WAN, something I prefer not to do.
Message 15 of 52
SntaCruz83
Tutor

Could you elaborate on step one? As I described in my previous post, I basically just go through step 2-3 using the stock Asus firmware. Are you able to connect to the router from Wan via PPTP using the stock R7000 firmware or is this why you use DD-WRT?
Message 16 of 52
JAMESMTL
Novice

Unfortunately the stock firmware only supports openvpn. This is one of the reasons I use D-WRT. My primary reason for DD-WRT is its QOS.
Message 17 of 52
the_xlr8r
Aspirant

just got my R7000 working with WOL over internet by uninstalling the "Netgear Firewall Driver" from my network adapter. go into properties of your adapter, you should see Netgear firewall driver, select it and uninstall.

My WOL hadnt worked for months (not on my prev WNDR4500 either), and only just got mine to work by doing this.

hope it works for you.

ps. wish i had tried this before shelling out £160 on the R7000!! duh!
Message 18 of 52
N6AC
Apprentice

the_xlr8r wrote:
... uninstalling the "Netgear Firewall Driver" from my network adapter. go into properties of your adapter, you should see Netgear firewall driver, select it and uninstall....

Please amplify - what network adapter, where? We are using Motorola cable modem/R7000/iMac - can't imagine where to look!
Message 19 of 52
fordem
Mentor

SntaCruz83 wrote:
I think this needs to be clarified a little. I'm not a pro on the topic by any means, but I've dealt with my fair share of trying to wake my computer up remotely when I'm not on the LAN.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...like I said, this is all conjecture based on my own trial and error.

Fantastic!!

I give you an A+, at least up to the reasons why Wake-on-LAN across the internet does not work, I don't know about the Asus Android app, so I can't comment on that.

A little clarification - for Wake-on-LAN no support is required in the modem/router - because it is purely LAN~LAN activity and works with a network broadcast - you can do Wake-on-LAN on a LAN with no router.

On the other hand - Wake-on-LAN across the internet requires the router to have a feature called "ip directed broadcast" enabled, and the IETF now requires this be disabled as the router's default setting and most manufacturers simply don't provide a way to enable it.
Message 20 of 52
fordem
Mentor

JAMESMTL wrote:
DD-WRT also has a built in WOL daemon which can be set to wake up devices every x period of time.

Sort of defeats the purpose of Wake-on-LAN.

The original reason Wake-on-LAN was developed was to allow network devices to be powered off when not in use and still remain remotely accessible when required, for example, for maintenance.

Leaving the equipment powered off when not in use reduces the power consumption not only of the actual device, but also the cooling costs - when you're dealing with a few dozen systems it all adds up.
Message 21 of 52
olympos13
Aspirant

the_xlr8r wrote:
just got my R7000 working with WOL over internet by uninstalling the "Netgear Firewall Driver" from my network adapter. go into properties of your adapter, you should see Netgear firewall driver, select it and uninstall.

My WOL hadnt worked for months (not on my prev WNDR4500 either), and only just got mine to work by doing this.

hope it works for you.

ps. wish i had tried this before shelling out £160 on the R7000!! duh!

Hi there.

I just like to know how you do it on R7000. What do you mean by Netgear firewall driver? which adapter are you referring to? Will it work on any adapter?
Message 22 of 52
ViperGeek
Apprentice

This is a bit of an old thread, but my Wake-over-Wan/Wake-on-LAN issue precisely has to do with what was mentioned earlier: the need for a static ARP cache entry.

Does the R7000 support static ARP?

- Dave
Message 23 of 52
TheEther
Guru

I haven't confirmed the following, but I believe setting up an Address Reservation under Advanced > Setup > LAN Setup may double as a static ARP in addition to a static DHCP reservation.
Message 24 of 52
ViperGeek
Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply. I actually had a reserved DHCP address for my WoL destination, but the ARP cache entry times out anyway.

However, I did find a solution:

1. Run the new TelnetEnable (see http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/telnet.console)
  2. Telnet to router and type: # arp -i br0 -s x.x.x.x mm:mm:mm:mm:mm:mm where x.x.x.x is the WoL destination IP address (not .255) and mm... is the WoL destination's MAC address

Now I have PERM entry, confirmed via the 'arp' shell command, for the WoL target.

- Dave
Message 25 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7