Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Warning 1 year warranty cannot be used after 90 days without purchase of a contract - SCAM

SCC-NGUser
Follower

Warning 1 year warranty cannot be used after 90 days without purchase of a contract - SCAM

Warning: Netgear will not honor a 1 year product warranty after the 90day "complimentary support period" without PAYING them first for a support contract.

Background:

I Purchased a CM1200 Cable Modem last year in June, starting in January the modem starts to frequently disconnect, huge packet loss, and failure to sync upstream, constant blinking upstream light.

I spent the past 3 weeks with Spectrum troubleshooting everything, rebooting the modem, restoring the modem to factory settings, replacing all cable from pole to house, and finally this week swapping out the modem itself with one of the Spectrum provided Motorola modems after determining the Netgear unit is defective.

The Spectrum replacement is now working well.

Having purchased this modem less than 1 year ago I attempted to utilize the warranty to RMA the product, establish a support case 44174779,  call the number listed only to find out that they will NOT honor the hardware warranty after 90days without troubleshooting which requires a purchase of a min. 3month $44 support contract.

In simple terms Netgear is selling hardware with a 1 year warranty that cannot be used after 90 days without an additional purchase.

This is not disclosed, it is dishonest, and is grounds for a class action law suit under consumer laws, certainly in the USA.

Following the link on the box which shows a 1 year warranty: https://www.netgear.com/about/warranty/

No where is the stipulation you must purchase a support contract to utilize the harware warranty.

Let me tell you how this should work, you call/file a support claim for a product, they verify you're under warranty, they ask you to follow steps to verify a covered defect without charge since you're covered under WARRANTY, defect is confirmed, RMA is issued, and finally you ship the product back for a repair/replacement, SIMPLE.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 3
rnichols10
Aspirant

Re: Warning 1 year warranty cannot be used after 90 days without purchase of a contract - SCAM

bought it Dec    14 , 2020.   month after 90 days. it goes belly up. internet  is getting to it but not be broadcast. Can see the speed test of the app but worthless otherwise.  I will never buy anything again from NetGear. Linksys has free support 24/7 365 and work for years without issue.   going to file a complaint with the BBB. SCAM...

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 3

Re: Warning 1 year warranty cannot be used after 90 days without purchase of a contract - SCAM

@SCC-NGUser wrote:

Warning: Netgear will not honor a 1 year product warranty after the 90day "complimentary support period" without PAYING them first for a support contract.

How did you go about starting the process?

Paid support is farmed out to Gearhead.

@SCC-NGUser wrote:

Having purchased this modem less than 1 year ago I attempted to utilize the warranty to RMA the product, establish a support case 44174779,  call the number listed only to find out that they will NOT honor the hardware warranty after 90days without troubleshooting which requires a purchase of a min. 3month $44 support contract.

That's not how to do it.

This is how you are supposed to start the RMA process by checking MyNetgear.

How do I request a Return Material Authorization (RMA)? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Is that what you did?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7