Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why did WiFi name change?

diane72
Aspirant

Why did WiFi name change?

I want to know why my WiFi name would change? All of a sudden our internet wasn't working. I couldn't find our WiFi NETGEAR04 it was gone. I followed instructions online and connected a computer to the Ethernet and logged into the Network. It now shows my WiFi as NETGEAR - 5G with no password protection. How could this happen? Did someone hack our home network? I think I can easily reconfigure, but I want to know why this happen or if I am missing something else? Thanks, Diane

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Why did WiFi name change?

Resetting back to factory is pretty easy. We always recommend a reset back to factory anytime someone does a firmware update so its a good time to check if you're firmware is current. 

To reset, just hold the reset button on the back for 7-10 seconds until the lights change. 

the link I had in my last post has your firmware, installation guide, and a manual there.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

A coupe ideas that could have caused it.

1. people have reports of occasions where a reboot causes a router to reset. 

2. Maybe it reset after a firmware update if it was automated.

What I'd do if you're concerned about someone getting in and changing settings around would be to reset it back to factory, reconfigure it for your settings, change the default login password, and make sure you put a wifi password on it. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7900P.aspx

Message 2 of 4
diane72
Aspirant

The odd thing is that the NETGEAR04 is the name it came with. If the reboot caused it to change it's name where did this name come from? I also had a password on it to begin with. I could do a reset back to Factory, but is this difficult to do? I set it up, so perhaps it isn't that tough. 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Resetting back to factory is pretty easy. We always recommend a reset back to factory anytime someone does a firmware update so its a good time to check if you're firmware is current. 

To reset, just hold the reset button on the back for 7-10 seconds until the lights change. 

the link I had in my last post has your firmware, installation guide, and a manual there.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7