Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Will connecting a nighthawk router R8000 to CenturyLink C1100T modem/router improve wifi to devices

Buscador
Aspirant

Will connecting a nighthawk router R8000 to CenturyLink C1100T modem/router improve wifi to devices

My son gave me this Nighthawk R8000 router after upgrading.  I am having trouble connecting it to my CenturyLink C1100t modem/router. Before I get really involved in doing this I would like to know if it will really help.  I'm getting the basic DSL signal from CenturyLink.  Where I live the upgrade is unavailable, therefore the bandwidth isn't what I would like and speeds are slow, down to 1 or 2 mbps.  My only other alternative is Satellite wifi, much more expensive and demanding 24 mo. contract.  Will connecting this router help my situation and if so how?  If so, could someone please help me with the install as neither Nighthawk or CenturyLink seem very helpful.  Thank you, merci, muchas gracias,danke, arigato, and other tongues if you can help me here!!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Will connecting a nighthawk router R8000 to CenturyLink C1100T modem/router improve wifi to dev

If the bottleneck is your dsl service, the r8000 isn't going to give you faster speeds. It might give you more range/coverage in your home

Message 2 of 4
Buscador
Aspirant

Re: Will connecting a nighthawk router R8000 to CenturyLink C1100T modem/router improve wifi to dev

Thank you for your quick and to the point response.  I believe you are right. I guess I'll be stuck with this for awhile.

Message 3 of 4

@Buscador wrote:

My son gave me this Nighthawk R8000 router after upgrading.  I am having trouble connecting it to my CenturyLink C1100t modem/router.

Putting a router after a router can cause headaches.

For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7