Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired connection issues

fdelmo10
Tutor

Wired connection issues

I have my nighthawk hooked up to my cable modem. I do a speed test using my  netgear app and  I  get  325 mps download speeds . I am very happy with that.  I also have my computer hard wired into my router. When I run a speed test on the pc I get 70 -80 mpbs. Not very happy.  The computer is 5 feet  from the router . The modem and the router are next to each other. When I run a speed test on the same computer directly into the modem I get 310 -325 mps. I have a 6 ft cat 6 wire between the router and modem . What is causing me to lose so much speed   

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: Wired connection issues

@fdelmo10 wrote:

i ran Qos speed test on 2 different ports and got 349   and 347  download speeds. When   i ran the spectrum cable speed test i  kept getting a new error  A socket error occurred during the Download test. Please try again later.

Should I leave Qos enale   in Dynamic mode ?

Well, that down speed means that is what the Router is seeing. Leave QoS OFF, of little use for speeds over 300Mbps and in some cases makes things worse. So the problem is between the router to the wired PC.

Two things to try:

1. Use a different LAN port. One using could be bad.
  2. Try a different cable, connector could be a slight mismatch for the socket, but I assumed the present one worked OK with the modem?

Otherwise, maybe you need a new driver for the network card/device in the PC?

The error, I've seen it too (have Spectrum as well). Working OK for me now (https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speed-test.html). At one time (I have Brighthouse) the link on its website for speedtest never worked. Since they switched to the link above I don't think I've had that problem. SPEEDTEST.NET is another you can use. It yields the same results basically.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
William10a
Master

What color is the wan(internet) port led color and the color of the port that the computer is connected too ?

Message 2 of 7
antinode
Guru

> [...] I also have my computer hard wired into my router. [...]

What color is the LAN Ethernet port-status LED indicator on the
router for that link?  What is your "my computer"?  What does its
network-info stuff say about the speed of the physical link?  And the
router's WAN/Internet port LED?

> [...] I have a 6 ft cat 6 wire between the router and modem . [...]

And from the router to your "my computer"?  Are these cables
known-good/tested?

> [...] What is causing me to lose so much speed

A 100MHz physical link (anywhere) could account for it.  Enabling
some thought-requiring router features (QoS, Traffic Meter, ...) might
also.

Message 3 of 7
fdelmo10
Tutor

The light is white  ///  Qos is off //   firmware V1.0.9.32_10.2.34

All the wires are good .   iswitch out to a new cat 6 between my modem and router  and got the same answers

Message 4 of 7
IrvSp
Master

It would seem the problem is between your router and PC?

That assumes I understand you correctly...

• Wireless speed is good, correct?
  • Wired to the router is not, correct?
  • Wired to modem is good, correct?

What is missing is the modem model number and if the modem is a modem/router and bridged.

I'll assume it is either a modem, not a combo, and if a combo, it is bridged. That takes care of the wireless situation. Of course, if it is a combo unit then you have to be sure the wireless device IS connecting to the router, not the modem/router.

OK, that out of the way, here are 2 things to try:

1. Go to the QoS tab and run the Speed Test. I'd expect it to report around 325Mbps down.
  2. Move the wired PC to another LAN port and test, you could have a bad port.

Report back.

Message 5 of 7
fdelmo10
Tutor

i ran Qos speed test on 2 different ports and got 349   and 347  download speeds. When   i ran the spectrum cable speed test i  kept getting a new error  A socket error occurred during the Download test. Please try again later.

Message 6 of 7
IrvSp
Master

@fdelmo10 wrote:

Well, that down speed means that is what the Router is seeing. Leave QoS OFF, of little use for speeds over 300Mbps and in some cases makes things worse. So the problem is between the router to the wired PC.

Two things to try:

1. Use a different LAN port. One using could be bad.
  2. Try a different cable, connector could be a slight mismatch for the socket, but I assumed the present one worked OK with the modem?

Otherwise, maybe you need a new driver for the network card/device in the PC?

The error, I've seen it too (have Spectrum as well). Working OK for me now (https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speed-test.html). At one time (I have Brighthouse) the link on its website for speedtest never worked. Since they switched to the link above I don't think I've had that problem. SPEEDTEST.NET is another you can use. It yields the same results basically.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7