Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wrong subnet after firmware update

StackTrace
Tutor

Wrong subnet after firmware update

After updating the firmware, all my devices are on 10.0.0.x internal ip-numbers. 
Thia used to be 192.168.0.x.

My NAS is on 192.168.0.112 and is attached to 1 of the 4 lan ports on the R8000. I cannot change this ip-address.

How do I change the router configuration to get all my devices on 192.168.0.x so I can reach my NAS again?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Wrong subnet after firmware update

@StackTrace wrote:

How do I change the router configuration to get all my devices on 192.168.0.x so I can reach my NAS again?

If this is a ReadyNAS you have a couple of other options.  An OS reinstall is available on the boot menu (see your device hardware manual) that resets the admin password to the factory default value, and also changes the network configuration to use DHCP/automatic addresses.  This won't affect data or other settings.

With any reasonably new NAS (including all ReadyNAS models) you should also be able to directly connect the NAS to your PC's ethernet connection (no switches or routers in between).  The set the PC to use static IP address 192.168.0.100, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1.  Then you can access the NAS by its IP address in your web browser, and reset it temporarily to use DHCP.  Obviously reset the PC to back to what it was before.  

I say "reasonably new NAS" because old devices (using fast ethernet) generally would need a special ethernet cable (called a crossover) to do this trick.  But gigabit ethernet devices should auto-sense the direct connection, and work with a normal ethernet cable.

My overall advice is to use IP address reservation instead of assigning a static address to your NAS.  It has all the benefits of a static address and no drawbacks.  If you'd configured it that way, the NAS would still have connected to the network. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
netwrks
Master

You router changed subnets because it see's 192.168.0.x on the same wire, coming from something else. Most likely, you have a router / modem combo from your ISP. If you do have a router / modem combo, set it to bridge mode. If you cannot set it to bridge mode, configure the 8000 as an Access Point. If it's not your ISP device, then something else on your network has DHCP enabled, in the same subnet (192.168.0.x).

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@StackTrace wrote:

If this is a ReadyNAS you have a couple of other options.  An OS reinstall is available on the boot menu (see your device hardware manual) that resets the admin password to the factory default value, and also changes the network configuration to use DHCP/automatic addresses.  This won't affect data or other settings.

With any reasonably new NAS (including all ReadyNAS models) you should also be able to directly connect the NAS to your PC's ethernet connection (no switches or routers in between).  The set the PC to use static IP address 192.168.0.100, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.0.1.  Then you can access the NAS by its IP address in your web browser, and reset it temporarily to use DHCP.  Obviously reset the PC to back to what it was before.  

I say "reasonably new NAS" because old devices (using fast ethernet) generally would need a special ethernet cable (called a crossover) to do this trick.  But gigabit ethernet devices should auto-sense the direct connection, and work with a normal ethernet cable.

My overall advice is to use IP address reservation instead of assigning a static address to your NAS.  It has all the benefits of a static address and no drawbacks.  If you'd configured it that way, the NAS would still have connected to the network. 

Message 3 of 4
StackTrace
Tutor

Thanks, that did the trick. Actually, that was what I did before the update, but I forgot about it.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7