Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

X10 AD7200 r9000 Fast Ethernet but extremely slow WiFi

NorthwestBlair
Aspirant

X10 AD7200 r9000 Fast Ethernet but extremely slow WiFi

Hello,
I am having extremely slow WiFi speeds through my Netgear x10 ad7200 router. I have a netgear cm1200 modem and gigabit internet through Cox. Anything plugged into the router through Ethernet gets over 900mbps speeds. Anything on WiFi gets 5-10mbps. iPhones, Mac, pc, tv.... Sometimes I will get WiFi speeds of 300-500mbps as I should, but rarely. When I test the speeds through the netgear nighthawk app, it’s always over 900mbps. So the router is getting the right speeds, just not passing it through the WiFi. My router was bought in October 2017 and it worked fine before. I recently moved though. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I have performed a factory reset multiple times. I also did the 30-30-30 reset. I feel like now when you factory reset it, it automatically upgrades you to the newest firmware and I can’t figure out a way to start with the original firmware that came with it. Cox says my router is probably going out because it’s 3 years old but I just can’t give up like that, being this is close to a $500 router. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: X10 AD7200 r9000 Fast Ethernet but extremely slow WiFi

Are you using smart connect? it combines the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signals. 

try disabling it and then connect your wireless devices to the 5ghz and test speeds. 

Message 2 of 6
NorthwestBlair
Aspirant

Hi Plemans. No I am not using smart connect. It is disabled. I get the slow speeds from both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

What device/devices are you testing on? 

have you tried reinstalling the firmware to the router? 

Maybe something is corrupt in the firmware.I'd try reinstalling the firmware, then factory reset, and do a clean install (not from backup)

Message 4 of 6
NorthwestBlair
Aspirant

I test it on a brand Mac book pro. We have brand new iPhone 12 max pros. We have a windows laptop. A new Sony 85” tv. It’s all the same. I try to downgrade the firmware but it’s not letting me. Every time I factory reset the router, it brings up the router login webpage and it makes me set it up as a brand new router. But it also installs the latest firmware. I can’t find a way around this. I think this is a new way that netgear is forcing the latest firmware to be installed.
Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

You can disabled auto update. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000038662/How-do-I-enable-disable-auto-firmware-update

and if its happening during setup, just unplug the modem from the router. Once its setup and auto-update disabled, then you can connect it back to the modem. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7