Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

customer service complaint

nemosteph
Follower

customer service complaint

So I have this Orbi, here i don't care I'll drop the case ID: 100574870, that strangely the WIFI just stopped working even though the hardline internet worked just fine. So I call and this is what the rep tells me after a hardline diagnostic.  It's that my devices, at least one, has given to many firewall warnings. And in order for my wifi to be restored, I MUST purchase additional firewall protection (starting at $300) And that there is NO OTHER WAY my wifi can be restored without it. Even though, 1. it was working fine 12 hours earlier and 2. my hardline is having zero problems why is it just wifi needs it? 

So being skeptical of that being the only solution, I take a ticket number and call my internet company. Internet company walks me through a hard reset of my Orbi and guess what, everything works just fine. Didn't need to purchase a thing. So apparently, I was lied to about purchasing 300 dollar firewall protection as being my only option of restoring my wifi.  A tech friend asked if he was sure I dialed the right customer service number because he thought i was being scammed.  I hope that is the case, otherwise some customer reps at Netgear need retraining the difference between best options and only option. 

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: customer service complaint

How did you contact customer service? 

many google for a number and get con/scam sites. 

to contact them you click "mynetgear" at the top. you register an account and the device. From there you contact customer service. 

And Netgear uses gearhead for customer support. 

none of their plans cost that and they wouldn't be trying to sell you a fire wall. 

https://gearhead.netgear.com/

It makes me suspect you didn't actually contact netgear but one of the con/scam sites. If you have them any credit card info, I'd cancel it. 

Message 2 of 3
maw999
Initiate

Re: customer service complaint

I have bought 2 WIFI netgear extenders for my internet and they were working for a few months and then both stopped working at the same time. I have contacted the net gear support line and the customer service representative advisor told me I have 90 days of free technical support and then after that it is no longer valid. He advised me the issue with my extender is that the device needs to be updated and the only way to do this is to pay $100.00 for a 6 month subscription of >$200 for a 1 year subscription to technical support. I asked if I could fix this issue myself if I looked into it further and the advisor told me that the only way I can log into the extender to update it so that the product can function, he advised the only way to allow both of my WiFi extenders to function is to pay for this subscription. This to me sounds like a scam, however it is the official NetGear phone number. If I have purchased a device I do not expect to be unusable after a certain period of time. I have contacted the consumer affairs support line on how I esculate this matter further. I will take this further unless someone from your support centre is prepared to fix the issue with your WiFi extenders. This is unacceptable and sounds a lot like the above post 
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7