Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

disassemble the router r9000 x10

rvilelas
Aspirant

disassemble the router r9000 x10

would anyone know how to disassemble the router r9000. I searched everywhere and found nothing. Is there any tutorial with images if possible? My router bricked and I need to access the seria pins on the board. Thanks a lot. 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
myersw
Master

Re: disassemble the router r9000 x10

@antinode wrote:

> [...] Is it really indicative of defect?

I've never done this, so I know nothing, but that does not look good
to me.

@antinode is correct in that the output does not look good. Fact that you are getting readable output says you have the serial connect setup properly, but there should not be errors and I have never hear of red eye..... ,but that maybe what is on these. In any case I am not seeing valid output other then firmware name Annapurma labs, owned by Amazon. CPU in the r9000 is from them.  Init errors are not good. Maybe time to toss in bin and move on. 

View solution in original post

Message 24 of 25

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] My router bricked [...]

Not a very detailed description of what it does now.

> [...] and I need to access the seria pins on the board.

The TFTP recovery scheme (properly attempted) failed?

> [...] I searched everywhere and found nothing. [...]

"searched" for what?  If you can't find any disassembly instructions
for that model, then you might try looking for similar models, and
extrapolating.

Message 2 of 25
rvilelas
Aspirant

> [...] My router bricked [...]

Not properly.Only wired interfaces works, but poorly. I can neither assign IP to PC or router. I can't acess nothing in the router.

> [...] and I need to access the seria pins on the board.

The TFTP recovery scheme (properly attempted) failed?

when I power on the router, the power led don't blink, it goes directly to on and I can't acces the router by the scheme of tftp

> [...] I searched everywhere and found nothing. [...]

"searched" for what?  If you can't find any disassembly instructions
for that model, then you might try looking for similar models, and
extrapolating.

I don't know how to open the equipment and how it is built completely differently from other models, there is no way to "extrapolate". As I could not access through the traditional tftp scheme, I figured the last exit would be access through the serial interface. Would you know otherwise? Thanks

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 25
antinode
Guru

> > [...] My router bricked [...]
>
> Not properly.Only wired interfaces works, but poorly. I can neither
> assign IP to PC or router. I can't acess nothing in the router.

So, not "bricked" (whatever that means).  "poorly"?  "can neither" or
"can't" is not a useful description of anything.  As usual, showing
actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error messages, LED
indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.

> IMG_20190910_190829.jpg

The IP configuration of your computer makes no sense to me.  Why
"100.55.109.92"?  That's a public IP address, not a LAN IP address for
the R9000.

I'm English-only, but your "telnet" error message looks to me as if
you have not enabled the "telnet" command on your Windows system.

That's a Windows-configuration problem, not a router problem.

To enable the "telnet" command on Windows 10:

Settings > Apps > (Related settings) Programs and Features >
Turn Windows features on or off : Telnet Client

Or, if you can find a Control Panel, then:

Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features
on or off : Telnet Client

But why?  By default, Netgear routers do not listen for Telnet
connections, so it's not clear what you expect to learn from that.

It's not clear to me that there's any problem with your router.
Certainly no reason to open it and start playing with a serial-port
interface.  Especially when you seem not to know enough to configure
your router properly.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.

General advice: Don't try to open the router until you know much more
than you seem to know now.

Message 4 of 25
rvilelas
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your attention in answering, but I can't make myself understood. Neither the router reset button is working. When connecting the PC to the router it does not give me a valid IP (192.168.1.xx) but a random one. the wifi LEDs do not light up, so I would like to load new firmware. I bought this second hand router already with this glitch, you know?

Message 5 of 25
myersw
Master

So someone else has already played with the router? Do you know what they did? 

Is the router currently connected to a modem? If so is the modem's IP address in the 100.x range? 

Fact that the power led comes on solid seems to indicate there is a valid firmware load on the router. Is the router plugged into something, other then power of course?

When you say you did a reset, did you hold the reset in for at least 7-10 seconds? Common misconception is that all you have to do is just push and release. 

I would start with the router not connected to anything other then a PC/MAC connected via Ethernet to one of the lan ports and see if you get an IP address. If not I would configure the PC for a static IP address of say 192.168.1.10 with gateway of 192.168.1.1. It is possible the router is currently configured as an AP so would not provide IP addresses. Then either see if you can ping the router, 192.168.1.1 or use a browser to access 192.168.1.1. Fact that the wifi lights are off may just mean the current configuration has them turned off. I assume that when you plug an Ethernet cable into a LAN port with a device on the other end of the cable that the LAN port light comes on? 

Message 6 of 25
rvilelas
Aspirant

Yes, I tried to reset holding the button for more than 40 seconds for more than one time. 

I Don't know what someone who sold me the router did previuosly.

When I power on the router without nothing connect to it you can see by the photos I post the leds lighs that comes on. It's kind of strange as you can see by the photos (forgive my english).

When I connet a PC to a LAN port the LED comes on and I can access internet if the interne cable is connected too, but I can't atribbute a fixed IP to my PC or access or manage the router.

the wifi leds don´t work no way.

Message 7 of 25
myersw
Master

The wifi leds being off may just mean the current configuration has wifi disabled. 

With the router not connected to the modem, what IP address do you get on the PC after doing a IP address release and renew? If the router is acting as a router you should get an IP address. If you do not then the router could be in AP mode or it has someother issues. 

I do not know what a r9000 looks like on bottom, but if like other NG routers there are some screws on the bottom and one under the label then should be able to seperate the two halves. At least that is how my r8000 was, that I had to access the serial port to get it going again. 

Here is link to what it looks like open and where the serial port is. Has info for r8000 which should be same for the r9000.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-How-to-get-a-shell-prompt/td-p/1335755

Message 8 of 25
rvilelas
Aspirant

@myersw wrote:

The wifi leds being off may just mean the current configuration has wifi disabled. 

With the router not connected to the modem, what IP address do you get on the PC after doing a IP address release and renew? If the router is acting as a router you should get an IP address. If you do not then the router could be in AP mode or it has someother issues. 

I do not know what a r9000 looks like on bottom, but if like other NG routers there are some screws on the bottom and one under the label then should be able to seperate the two halves. At least that is how my r8000 was, that I had to access the serial port to get it going again. 

Here is link to what it looks like open and where the serial port is. Has info for r8000 which should be same for the r9000.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-How-to-get-a-shell-prompt/td-p/1335755

God bless you! Thanks for the link. I am not at home and can't test.
I now need to know how to open the darn without damage it even more 

Message 9 of 25
rvilelas
Aspirant

@myersw wrote:

yesterday I connected the PC to the router and tried the command line to release the IP but could not. The command simply does not work, but when connecting the internet cable the router connects the PC to the internet. From what you said it could be that the router is configured for AP, right? ie even defect. But as I can not reset it there is no way to confirm whether it is defective or not. I don't know if the reset button too may be defective and not operational

Message 10 of 25
rvilelas
Aspirant

@myersw wrote:

By the way, from what you can see from the photo I posted, like the router with nothing connected. Isn't it strange that the USB, 10G and network LEDs are on?

Message 11 of 25
antinode
Guru

> [...] When connecting the PC to the router it does not give me a valid
> IP (192.168.1.xx) but a random one. [...]

That's what happens when the router (DHCP server) does not work.  In
that case, you need to set the IP parameters of your Windows system
manually to be compatible with the default subnet of the router.  This
is explained in the Netgear KB articles which you'll find if you follow
the links from:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096#M102004

> Is the router currently connected to a modem? [...]

That shouldn't matter to the TFTP recovery scheme.

> [...] but I can't atribbute a fixed IP to my PC or access or manage
> the router. [...]

See "not a useful description", above.

Message 12 of 25
antinode
Guru

> [...] It is possible the router is currently configured as an AP so
> would not provide IP addresses. [...]

That could explain many things.  If that's true, and a settings reset
fails to restore the normal (full-router) mode, then you might try
connecting a computer and the problem R9000 to a working router (with a
working DHCP server).  Then look at something like an "Attached Devices"
or "DHCP Clients" report on the working router, to see if the problem
R9000 appears there, and, if so, what its (new) LAN IP address is.

If that works, then put that IP address into a web browser, and see
if you can get some useful response from the problem R9000.

Message 13 of 25
rvilelas
Aspirant

@antinode wrote:

I did exactly what you said, it makes sense, but my router only shows some device when there is something connected to the R9000. When only it is connected to my router nothing appears on the devices

Message 14 of 25
rvilelas
Aspirant

@rvilelas wrote:

@antinode wrote:

I did exactly what you said, it makes sense, but my router only shows some device when there is something connected to the R9000. When only it is connected to my router nothing appears on the devices.

By your tip everything indicates that it is really configured as AP. But how to find out your IP address? I couldn't figure it out by connecting it to my existing router because the R9000 is "transparent". At least it seems that there is still a thread of hope left!

Message 15 of 25
rvilelas
Aspirant

@rvilelas wrote:

@antinode wrote:

In fact, the equipment is working not as an AP but as a switch, since wifi is not working, don't you agree?
I did exactly what you said, it makes sense, but my router only shows some device when there is something connected to the R9000. When only it is connected to my router nothing appears on the devices.
By your tip everything indicates that it is really configured as AP. But how to find out your IP address? I couldn't figure it out by connecting it to my existing router because the R9000 is "transparent". At least it seems that there is still a thread of hope left!

Message 16 of 25
rvilelas
Aspirant

Any new ideas on how to access the router (switch, AP)? find out the IP? I count on your expertise. thanks again

Message 17 of 25
IrvSp
Master

A very confusing thread from the beginning when you wanted to open the box up? Some stuff seems odd too? Like the first screen capture for IP Address that was a Public IP Address. Then trying a totally odd IP Address for Telnet?

@rvilelas wrote:

yesterday I connected the PC to the router and tried the command line to release the IP but could not. The command simply does not work, but when connecting the internet cable the router connects the PC to the internet.

I'd like to see an IPCONFIG /ALL under both cases above, with and without the modem connected to the router.

In both cases you should have on the PC a VALID PRIVATE IP Address. I suspect the one with 100.xxx.xxx.xxx was when you connected to your modem directly.

Bought used, it could be damaged? If still under warranty, try and get an RMA exchange.

Message 18 of 25
antinode
Guru

> In fact, the equipment is working not as an AP but as a switch, since
> wifi is not working, don't you agree?

A wireless access point with its radios disabled would be
approximately equivalent to a network switch.

If the WAP was configured with a static LAN IP address, then that
could stop it from trying to use DHCP to get its (dynamic) LAN IP
address, and that might make it invisible/transparent.

What would really help would be a settings reset.

> [...] Neither the router reset button is working. [...]

And you held the Reset button for at least ten seconds?

> Any new ideas on how to access the router (switch, AP)? find out the
> IP? [...]

No.  If you can't reset the settings, and if you connect its
WAN/Internet port to a working router, and the working router doesn't
notice it, then my supply of ideas may be exhausted.

That serial-port plan is starting to look better.

Message 19 of 25
myersw
Master

@antinode wrote:

As @antinode said. It is beginning to look like time to get out the serial to USB cable and do an install of firmware via the serial interface. Cannot think of anything else at this point and I have been recovering routers since back in 2006 with the WRT54G. WRT54G was a trip. Open cover and short two pins together to reset. Assuming info you had matched the version of the WRT54G you had. Ran DD-WRT on them. 

Message 20 of 25
rvilelas
Aspirant

Gentlemen, I decided to try my luck with serial access. It seems that on the first try I got the pin. Please see the attached image of when I boot the router. Is it really indicative of defect?

Message 21 of 25
rvilelas
Aspirant

@myersw wrote:

@antinode wrote:

As @antinode said. It is beginning to look like time to get out the serial to USB cable and do an install of firmware via the serial interface. Cannot think of anything else at this point and I have been recovering routers since back in 2006 with the WRT54G. WRT54G was a trip. Open cover and short two pins together to reset. Assuming info you had matched the version of the WRT54G you had. Ran DD-WRT on them. 

Gentlemen, I decided to try my luck with serial access. It seems that on the first try I got the pin. Please see the attached image of when I boot the router. Is it really indicative of defect?

Message 22 of 25
antinode
Guru

to me.

Message 23 of 25
myersw
Master

@antinode wrote:

to me.

@antinode is correct in that the output does not look good. Fact that you are getting readable output says you have the serial connect setup properly, but there should not be errors and I have never hear of red eye..... ,but that maybe what is on these. In any case I am not seeing valid output other then firmware name Annapurma labs, owned by Amazon. CPU in the r9000 is from them.  Init errors are not good. Maybe time to toss in bin and move on. 

Message 24 of 25
rvilelas
Aspirant

@myersw wrote:

@antinode wrote:

to me.

I think you right! It's time to move on! thank you for everything

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7