Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

have to continually reset nighthawk ac 1750

postman38501
Follower

have to continually reset nighthawk ac 1750

I have to daily reset the router to reconnect to the extenders, one is 15 feet from the router and the other is 20 feet from the router.  all 3 are running current on updates. most of the problem is with my kids Playstation connecting. when it does dinally connect it seems to be way slower than it should be.  If i do i a speed test on my cell phone connected to an extender it is 10-15 gb faster than a speed test on the playstation. any info or advice would be appreciated.

Model: EX6250|AC1750-WIFI MESH EXTENDER, EX6400v2|AC1900 WiFi Mesh Extender Essentials Edition, R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: have to continually reset nighthawk ac 1750

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the WiFi Extender products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with WiFi Extender (EA and EAX Series) products. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/bd-p/home-wifi-range-extenders

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: have to continually reset nighthawk ac 1750

You have 2 mesh extenders and a router. Some details are needed and then some pointers. 

1. firmware on the R6400?

2. Firmware on the EX6250?

3. Firmware on the ex6400?

4. are the extenders setup in mesh mode? 

Now some pointers. 

1. Extenders drop throughput by 50% for single/dual band extenders. This happens because the extender has to go router-----extender and then extender----device and can't do both at once. So it cuts the speed in half. Plus you have to take into account distance/obstructions/interference. so its already running at a reduced speed from what the router is putting out. 

2. daisy chaining (router---->extender----->extender) makes it even worse because the 2nd extender puts out 50% of what its getting from the first extender. Plus you have increased latency. 

3. 15ft and 20 ft are pretty close together. If the extenders are setup in a mesh, they can end up connected to one another or even just one daisy chaining off the other. It creates instabilities and slow downs. Its why you'll find us recommending moving to a mesh system like orbi or mk nighthawk for those needing more than 1 extender. 

4. Try setting the router with its own ssid and the extenders with the same ssid. This forces them to connect to the router and not to each other. Or power one off and see if it stays stable. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7