Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

netgear nighthawk ac1900 unable to connect wifi

jman2
Aspirant

netgear nighthawk ac1900 unable to connect wifi

I just purchased a used Nighthawk AC1900, and I am having trouble setting it up. 

I started with a factory reset (multiple times), as a way to begin clean.

I am able to connect to the router via Ethernet cable and all of the expected lights (internet, 2.4, 5, etc...) are on when I boot the devise up. 

The issue that I am having is that I do not see the router in my device listing (checking through various devices - laptop, IPAD, phone). 

I do not know any of the credentials from the previous owner and as I stated above the factory reset does not allow me access to the unit (I have tried the SSID and Network Key on the back of the unit as well as admin and password).

Since the device is not showing up in my wifi listing the Nighthawk application is useless in the set up. 

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 6
microchip8
Master

Re: netgear nighthawk ac1900 unable to connect wifi

Have you tried the Web UI at http://192.168.1.1 ?
Message 2 of 6
jman2
Aspirant

Yes, that won't connect, since it doesn't see the router.

Tried using ethernet cable for direct connect but that didn't work either.

I think I identified the previous SSID from the original owner, but I can't connect to them since I don't know the password.

I don't understand why the factory reset is not taking off the old info.
Message 3 of 6

@jman2 wrote:

I just purchased a used Nighthawk AC1900, and I am having trouble setting it up. 

Which device is that? AC1900 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

I am able to connect to the router via Ethernet cable and all of the expected lights (internet, 2.4, 5, etc...) are on when I boot the devise up. 

What modem/ONT/gateway sits between the unknown router and the Internet?

The issue that I am having is that I do not see the router in my device listing (checking through various devices - laptop, IPAD, phone).

What/where is this device listing? Seeing the router how? Its wifi SSID?

I do not know any of the credentials from the previous owner and as I stated above the factory reset does not allow me access to the unit (I have tried the SSID and Network Key on the back of the unit as well as admin and password).

You wiped the previous owner's with the reset. It is now back to the ones on the label.

This behaviour could be because there is already a router of some sort sitting between the anonymous Netgear device and the Internet. That's why it helps to know what connects you to the Internet.

Message 4 of 6
jman2
Aspirant

Re: netgear nighthawk ac1900 unable to connect wifi (Model R7000)

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

Model R7000

What modem/ONT/gateway sits between the unknown router and the Internet

MODEM is supplied by Summit Broadband - no identification regarding who makes it. I have had and until I get the Netgear working a Belken Wifi router plugged into the Cable modem and it has been performing fine.  In addition when I plug the R7000 into it, i can access the internet via an Ethernet cable plugged into it. 

What/where is this device listing? Seeing the router how? Its wifi SSID?

When I look for available wifi networks for me to join the R7000 SSID does not appear as an option

This behaviour could be because there is already a router of some sort sitting between the anonymous Netgear device and the Internet. That's why it helps to know what connects you to the Internet.

Since I am not able to see the SSID on the label - not sure if the factory reset I tried (multiple times) is not working?

Message 5 of 6

Re: netgear nighthawk ac1900 unable to connect wifi (Model R7000)

@jman2 wrote:

MODEM is supplied by Summit Broadband - no identification regarding who makes it. I have had and until I get the Netgear working a Belken Wifi router plugged into the Cable modem and it has been performing fine.  In addition when I plug the R7000 into it, i can access the internet via an Ethernet cable plugged into it. 

That does not tell us what your modem is. No labels on the thing?

When you set up a router on your network, it looks to see what the connection is to the Internet. If that is through another router, it will adapt its settings accordingly.

The fact that a different router worried with it does not prove anything. Some routers are better than others at adapting their settings when they encounter another router in the network.

That is why we always ask people for details of their "modem".

That you cannot access the R7000 with the default IP address, http://192.168.1.1, is another clue, which is why @microchip8 mentioned it.

In your first message you say that you "just purchased" the R7000. This is a second hand router from 2014. Are you sure that it still works?

Have you tried connecting a PC directly to the R7000 without any connection between the R7000 and the modem?

Since I am not able to see the SSID on the label - not sure if the factory reset I tried (multiple times) is not working?

That recommendation may have to do with your reference to the previous owner's settings. As you were told, that detail is irrelevant. You wiped out those settings with the reset.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7