Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighthawk R7000 falling back to 100mbps

djohnston3412
Follower

nighthawk R7000 falling back to 100mbps

My internet speed is about 450mbps. My router has the newest firmware installed. The router is connected to two switches, both are gigabit. All of the devices connected to those switches are gigabit and have updated LAN drivers. All of those devices are configured to establish a gigabit connection. This setup worked flawlessly until installing a new motherboard in one device. The motherboard is gigabit, updated drivers, configured correctly, and it gets 450mbps up/down for some time...and then the relevant port on the router shows an amber light and everything on the switch gets limited to 100mbps. If I simply unplug that port and plug it back in, the connection is reestablished as gigabit and everything works again. My temporary solution has been to just unplug and replug that port every day but that's obviously not ideal. Sorry if this is a repost, any ideas?

Message 1 of 2
Kitsap
Master

Re: nighthawk R7000 falling back to 100mbps

@djohnston3412 wrote:

My internet speed is about 450mbps. My router has the newest firmware installed. The router is connected to two switches, both are gigabit. All of the devices connected to those switches are gigabit and have updated LAN drivers. All of those devices are configured to establish a gigabit connection. This setup worked flawlessly until installing a new motherboard in one device. The motherboard is gigabit, updated drivers, configured correctly, and it gets 450mbps up/down for some time...and then the relevant port on the router shows an amber light and everything on the switch gets limited to 100mbps. If I simply unplug that port and plug it back in, the connection is reestablished as gigabit and everything works again. My temporary solution has been to just unplug and replug that port every day but that's obviously not ideal. Sorry if this is a repost, any ideas?

Start by connecting your test device direct to the R7000 using a known good Ethernet cable.  Use the Ookla stand alone test application for your operating system (not the Ookla web site). Check your throughput and for a stable 1 Gbps connection.

A bad, or going bad, cable may often make a good connection to start and then drop back to 100 Mbps with transmission errors.  If you have a new cable, swap it out and isolate by the process of elimination.  Recommend cat 6 cables as a minimum.  Cat 5e should work in an emergency. 

Maybe the new motherboard is bad?

What is the brand name and model number of the modem/ONT upstream of the R7000?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7