Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r6700v3 abysmally slow WiFi speeds

dlittlefilms
Aspirant

r6700v3 abysmally slow WiFi speeds

Hi all,

I have a Netgear AC1750 r6700v3 router with spectrum internet and their modem with 1gbps speed. Currently, I'm getting over 1gbps on a hardwired connection (from the router), but over WiFi it's less than 15mbps on the 2.4ghz band and 20-25mbps on the 5ghz band. I've changed the firmware multiple times to various versions ranging from 1.0.4.126 to 1.0.2.60. Currently, I'm on 1.0.3.66 since it's been the best one so far. This is true across multiple devices ranging from phones to apple and pc computers.

I've disabled QoS, Parental Controls, Metering, and Access Control, 20/40hz coexistance, and enabled "AIRTIME FAIRNESS". I'm at a loss of what to do. The only thing I haven't tried is moving my router to another location. Currently, it's in my living room inside of an entertainment center. But even if I'm right next to it, I get the same speeds. My support is expired so I'm looking for any help before I make the decision to jump ship to another router. Thank you!

Message 1 of 8
Kitsap
Master

Re: r6700v3 abysmally slow WiFi speeds

@dlittlefilms wrote:

Hi all,

I have a Netgear AC1750 r6700v3 router with spectrum internet and their modem with 1gbps speed. Currently, I'm getting over 1gbps on a hardwired connection (from the router), but over WiFi it's less than 15mbps on the 2.4ghz band and 20-25mbps on the 5ghz band. I've changed the firmware multiple times to various versions ranging from 1.0.4.126 to 1.0.2.60. Currently, I'm on 1.0.3.66 since it's been the best one so far. This is true across multiple devices ranging from phones to apple and pc computers.

I've disabled QoS, Parental Controls, Metering, and Access Control, 20/40hz coexistance, and enabled "AIRTIME FAIRNESS". I'm at a loss of what to do. The only thing I haven't tried is moving my router to another location. Currently, it's in my living room inside of an entertainment center. But even if I'm right next to it, I get the same speeds. My support is expired so I'm looking for any help before I make the decision to jump ship to another router. Thank you!

Since you have been jumping through all of the hoops with different versions of the firmware, have you recently done a full firmware default reset and configured the router from scratch?  I know it is a PIA, but it resolves many issues.  Also, do not restore your settings from a backup file that was saved from a different firmware version.

In addition to the configuration items you mentioned above, disable smart connect and manually set the channel numbers for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.  Recommend 6 or 11 for the low band and 48 for the high as starters.

What material is the entertainment center made of?  Is the router behind doors?

Message 2 of 8
dlittlefilms
Aspirant

I haven't done a factory reset on this specific firmware update but I've done it multiple times and it hasn't made a difference. I've never restored it from a backup either, changed everything manually. We have about 6-8 devices.

I can't seem to find "smart connect". Is that the same thing as "Enable SSID broadcast"?

The front, top, and sides of the entertainment center are all wood and the back of the center is plywood. It is behind closed doors.

Message 3 of 8
Kitsap
Master

@dlittlefilms wrote:

I haven't done a factory reset on this specific firmware update but I've done it multiple times and it hasn't made a difference. I've never restored it from a backup either, changed everything manually. We have about 6-8 devices.

I can't seem to find "smart connect". Is that the same thing as "Enable SSID broadcast"?

The front, top, and sides of the entertainment center are all wood and the back of the center is plywood. It is behind closed doors.

The R6700v3 may not have smart connect.  Do you have separate SSID's for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands?

Smart connect is usually found under Advanced -> Setup -> Wireless Setup.  When disabled, it forces separate SSID's for the two bands.

Have you tested throughput with the doors open?

Message 4 of 8
dlittlefilms
Aspirant

That makes sense, I have it disabled already because I can choose between the two bands.

I have tested it with the doors open and sat right next to the router with them open and no improvement in speed.

Message 5 of 8
Kitsap
Master

Do you know if your radio frequency (RF) environment is crowded?  Lots of transmitters, close neighbors with Wi-FI, cordless phone systems, or other sources of interference?  There is a Wi-Fi analysis program for Android devices that can reveal signal sources and channels.  It is called WiFi Analyzer (open-source) from VREM Software Development.

What application are you using to determine throughput capacity?  I recommend the stand alone Ookla application specific for your operating system.  It helps to not use a web browser.

Message 6 of 8
dlittlefilms
Aspirant

I’m not sure on the environment being crowded. I have an iPhone but I do remember checking it on my MacBook awhile ago and it’s not overly crowded. Not enough to warrant these speeds.

What’s interesting is the nighthawk app says I’m getting 300mbps via wifi but the web browser (ookla and fast.com) both say a max of 30mbps. The internet acts more accordingly to the web browser speed. Would you suggest a different application?
Message 7 of 8
Kitsap
Master

@dlittlefilms wrote:
I’m not sure on the environment being crowded. I have an iPhone but I do remember checking it on my MacBook awhile ago and it’s not overly crowded. Not enough to warrant these speeds.

What’s interesting is the nighthawk app says I’m getting 300mbps via wifi but the web browser (ookla and fast.com) both say a max of 30mbps. The internet acts more accordingly to the web browser speed. Would you suggest a different application?

Yes, the Ookla stand alone application from the Play Store.  The Ookla application is specific for your operating system and does not involve either a web browser or the Netgear application.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7