Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: r8500 throttling connection?

zack466
Aspirant

r8500 throttling connection?

I recently upgraded to a 400 mbps spectrum wireless internet plan. However, my R8500 router is giving me problems. It seems that the router is throttling the connection to my PC down to around 100 mbps.

I've tried turning off QoS, enabling/disabling ipv6, and turning off traffic monitor and access control. My router is on the latest firmware.

After restarting my router, the speeds went back up to ~300 mbps, but about a day later I was consistently getting only 100 mbps on speedtest. However, I don't want to restart the router every other day in order to get good wireless speed.

I actually wrote a script to graph my internet connection speed over time using speedtest.net (image attachment, blue is download speed, orange is upload speed). After restarting the router, the speeds shot up, but only a day later they returned to being capped at ~100 mbps.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

@zack466 wrote:

Modem: Netgear CM700. There is one ethernet port on the back, and it's connected straight into my router with a Cat6 cable.

Simple modem. No router bit to get in the way.

I have seen reports that even if you disable QoS the dratted thing does not pay attention. Try a reset after disabling QoS.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router.

Message 2 of 5
zack466
Aspirant

Firmware version: V1.0.2.106

Modem: Netgear CM700. There is one ethernet port on the back, and it's connected straight into my router with a Cat6 cable.

Message 3 of 5

@zack466 wrote:

Simple modem. No router bit to get in the way.

I have seen reports that even if you disable QoS the dratted thing does not pay attention. Try a reset after disabling QoS.

Message 4 of 5
zack466
Aspirant

I enabled and disabled QoS and restarted the router.

So far, the speeds have not dropped or been throttled by the router, so I'll assume the problem is fixed for now.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7